so.. whats in a Naim ?

Mahesh.
Have heard it for hours. At our FM viki's place. They were better than several speakers heard in that meet. I liked it even more than ML electrostats. The highs are not bright to my taste but may be it is sensitive to the amp pairing. We heard it with Electrocompanient pre power and later with Krell 400xi IIRC.

Proac's were infact very nice Speakers. Too good for their size. I liked them.

hi mahesh

I switched from a pair of Epos m22s to the ProAc studio 140s, precisely because the treble on the Epos was getting to me. frankly, they've put me off metal tweeters for life! note: the Epos was paired with an ss amp (Primare), which may have compounded the problem.

the ProAcs were quite happy with the Primare, and are ecstatic with the current tubes. also, my 24 x 18 room occasionally seems small for the 140s. I get the feeling that a Response d18 might be a better fit. and, as you mentioned, the response line is definitely a step up from the studios. now, if only the Indian pricing made some sense...

24 x 18 ft is a huge room. How can it be small for Proac 140 ?

recently was at a JBL store, they had this vintage styled speaker, model no4312. was a nice speaker...very tempted to get one :)

been a while since i posted. There have been a few changes in my rig.

I replaced the AT95 cart ( which was a loaner 0 with a denon DL 103 and a new headshell.

I must thank Joshua for the trerrific and and innovative work in designing and fabricating a new counterweight and headshell weight to accomodate the DL103.

Mt TT looks ver different from when it first arrived from Mr kuruvilla's.

Waiting for the DL 103 to burn in say in a few weeks before i post my listening impressions.

My Marantz CDP is gone and now i have only the TT as a source.

I a continued to encounter the humming problem with the TT evan late last night till a fit of inspiration and a touch of anger solved it. Yesterday i was a Joshua's place and the Lehmann and DL 103 did not produce any hum at all.

last night i pulled out all the conections and i decided to insert the plug points of the TT and the lehmann into separate power points ( previously they were all fed onto a heavy gauge power strip. It was like all animals coming to the watering hole to get water and i think that was part of the problem.. )

This meant that i had to change the position of the PW power supply on the lehmann away from the mains power strip and it seems to work.

I did not get hum last night and i hope to get a hum free night today too !!!

Now my cabling is in a mess and i have to find a way to systematically route this one by one.

Hope this was not too boring.. ho hum !! :)

mpw

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to know that you've licked the hum problem. From your description it does look like it is caused by a pickup. I am guessing the RF field of power cable or the amp was near enough to interfere with the phono signal. Unfortunately, this is possible despite having well-shielded interconnects from the TT to phono preamp. In my experience, the only way to escape such problem is physical separation.

The hum could be due to several reasons. If you have a meter to check continuity, you can check continuity from head shell to RCA pins and see if all connections are OK. This is the primary check needed for this. I am happy that your dream to fit a DL 103 has come true. Please let us know the performance report

The hum could be due to several reasons. If you have a meter to check continuity, you can check continuity from head shell to RCA pins and see if all connections are OK. This is the primary check needed for this. I am happy that your dream to fit a DL 103 has come true. Please let us know the performance report

His TT with the new cartridge and his own phono stage played without hum in my place.

the DL 103 is opening up rather nicely. The sound is more fleshed out across the spectrum vis a vis the AT95 ( which is not a comparo anyways )

I find i am using the amp at lower volumes than before and maybe here the lehmann MC phono is holding up rather well.

Had lots of apprehensions about gain settings in MC cart before i started out on this but slowly all thats vanishing..

finally.. enjoying the music ..

the DL103 needs about 125 hours more i suppose to sound what it will sound like.

I dont think i will need to bother too much on the TT front ( equipment wise ) unless something gives up on me.

cheers !!

now i need to focus attention on my CD's and maybe one last hurrah at the end of the year on a pair of speakers which i can live with for a long time. maybe i will start a separate thread for that.

mpw
==============================================================

what better than a naim ?

2 naims !!

welcome a pre loved Naim CD5 XS CD player into my rig.

heres a pic ..

its early days but i will try and post a mini feedback of how it all sounds maybe after a couple of weeks.

mpw

Wow that is some serious gear. Congrats.

Though nothing I could see in the tiny, long-shot pic.
Will wait for your impressions.

photography has never interested me too much. I thought a long shot will be a better value add as closeups are available via google baba.

ya - now there is a sense of a chain a sense of completeness. Now i have power cables, electronics, speaker cables and interconn all Naim. ( with the exception of the TT and the Epos M12i speakers )

I sensed the Eposes sounding a touch more polished.. like they were back from finishing school or something.

Nothing too big a change but those subtle things..

anyways.. maybe i was too excited yesterday..

mpw

docd,

thanks.

i think this is about it for me unless something has a breakdown etc..

maybe one of these days we can link up at my home for some time for some coffee and music. will let u know.

All those hours i spent on audiogon and echoloft have vanished now. Dont feel like hunting any more.

regards
mpw
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow that is some serious gear. Congrats.

Though nothing I could see in the tiny, long-shot pic.
Will wait for your impressions.
============================================

one for you santy..

:))

mpw

ya - maybe after sometime. I was waiting for the kids to grow up some more.

The present rack was my idea and a bad one at that. I know.

Will correct it once i have some funds in place.

I am totally broke now.. no chillar funds after all this.

mpw

thanks thad.

Normally i play with the door open and i think that would take care of most of it and the amp has always played cool.

:D

mpw

just thought i would pen down a few thoughts on the Naim CD5 XS and the synergy with the naim nait 5i.

Have been researching many CDP's on the new and thru the good wishes of many FM's who have been very patient with my emails. Many thanks to them.

I first looked at samirk's naim cdp on sale with a bit of apprehension - due to the price ( weather i could really afford and weather after spending so much money would the difference with my earlier Marantz SA7001 be marginal ? )

I suppose these are normal questions when anyone thinks of taking this big a leap in investment ( atleast for me ).

Have been in touch with samir onevr many weeks and we simply could not link up... due to conflicting schedules and finally about 4 days back i put everything to a side and went over to his place. I was also driven to listen to the Naim pre power at his place + the ATC SCM 40. I always wanted to get a flavor of the ATC sound.

The Naim CD5 XS is a plain looking thing and short of "features".. just the bare necessities.. just the bare necessities.. of a CD player

:))

As the name suggests doesnt do any other format ecept CD's ( no mp3, no USB no nothing ).

It weighs in pretty heavy and on lifting it i could realize it is built like a tank.

had a good time a samirs place with the CDP and the ATC and it was time to get it home.

Samir was kind enough to provide me a new Naim Power cord and that meant that i have all Naim set up

2 Naim power cords
Naim CDP
Naim nait 5i
Naim DIN interconnects
Naim Naca5 speaker cable
Epos M12i on open stands

A shock awaited me..at home when i plugged in the CDP (naaah.. not an electrical one :lol: )

to be continued..

mpw

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back