so.. whats in a Naim ?

@mpw how did you get rid of the high pitch from the tweeter? I get the same in my HT setup. The sound comes and goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maheshwari, how did you get rid of the high pitch from the tweeter? I get the same in my HT setup. The sound comes and goes.

celester

i changed the point from where i took power.... its mentioned clearly in my post

it worked for me

regards
mpw

Thanks mpw. So u mean u changed just the point or did u do anything specific with that point or wiring from that point? What point did u get? Bigger ampere?

changed the plug in point to one having a 4 mm x 3 core incoming wire from the mains MCB

That happened to be the Aircon - but thats OK - i have disconnected the AC and using that for audio..

will figure out the re-connection of the AC with a separate wiring later

see the mains plug above the green dragon ( in my pic ) thats where i have taken power from at the moment.

previously it was immediately behind my audio rack

but please use a good electrician for all this..

safety first.... always..

Does it work? You have an open room so not sure if you are impacted by reflections...

am trying it on the wall behind the speakers as you are seeing..

let me play music for a few more days before i conclude anything..

and i need to do some experiments with the placement of the diffusers ( higher or lower than current position )

regards

@mpw They would be better right behind the speakers as it has a port right behind the tweeter. Imaging and depth should improve twofold.

Last week brought NAIM NAIT 5si and joined NAIM wagon. :cool:

Pics are coming.

Following is chain
TV (ARC) -> Marantz nr1509 (Pre out) -> NAIM 5si (AV in) -> Front speakers.

When I connected system, I was getting "hissing" noise for speakers.
Tried various socket and connecting and disconnection, however noise remained.
Solution to noise was to connect Marantz (SIGNAL GND) to wall socket earth and now speakers are dead silent.

Query: Will is cause any problem for Marantz (SIGNAL GND) to connect it to wall socket, since it was meant to be connected to TT GND signal.
Please check pic for Marantz (SIGNAL GND).

Attachments

• NR1509_features_phono.jpg
    NR1509_features_phono.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 12
It's meant to be connected to any ground so unless you are doing that it should be not be a problem
Congrats on your new purchase

I will suggest start a new thread about your audio journey
You can have all of your experiences and queries in the same thread

Should we all connect the Ground Pin to a 3-pin socket and plug into the wall?

As you may know, these AVRs do not come with any 3-pin plugs..

I had some similar issues connecting a chord dac to Naim 5si. What I remember is that: Naim sources ground the RCA while Naim amplifiers do not. In other words Naim amps expect the source to do the grounding. I connected a RCA cable (only the outer wire) to a unused RCa input and to the Naim amp chasis as suggested in some posts on the chord or Naim forums. You may want to do a internet search for more details.

Query: Will is cause any problem for Marantz (SIGNAL GND) to connect it to wall socket, since it was meant to be connected to TT GND signal.
Please check pic for Marantz (SIGNAL GND).
Usually AVR chasis is grounded to its PSU ground.Now doing this,ground signal of avr may go earth.The image connection is for turntable or its chasis.
Experts can pls.add some comments.

Please check attachment for marantz manual screen shot.

In manual under NOTE it says
"The earth terminal (SIGNAL GND) of this unit is not for safety grounding purposes. If this terminal is connected when there is a lot of noise, the noise can be reduced. Note that depending on the turntable, connecting the ground line may have the reverse effect of increasing noise. In this case, it is not necessary to connect the ground line."

Please refer below avsforum links for more information.
Why is there no ground wire on many receivers? Same solution to eliminate hum.

Why is there no ground wire on many receivers? Explanation of solution

Attachments

• Marantz NR1509 TT Connect.jpg
    Marantz NR1509 TT Connect.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Many FM's wanted to know my observations.

I got these from an FM who was not using it - very kind of him and thank you !

it was an unexpected turn of events and it has shown me a few things - electronics / speakers is not worth upgrading - beyond a point - the room plays a large role - our living spaces are our compromise.

Mains power is another area many of us get wrong and might end up spending many dollars when significant improvement can be had for lesser outlay.

Specifically - i find the sound o/p much more lucid and clearer

I like the music with the diffusers

It makes me wonder what the hell was i listening to for so many years !!!

and what was i jumping up and down about ??

It makes me wonder if lesser electronics coupled with a good room and clean power would have sufficed ??

i am hoping to have an acoustician come home - measure the room and see what best i can go without disturbing the family living space too much.

Cannot convert my home into a studio but looking at what can be done with aesthetics and acoustics.

cannot change the flooring as well.

will keep the thread updated.

If you have any specific questions - please ask.

regards
mpw

Many FM's wanted to know my observations.

I got these from an FM who was not using it - very kind of him and thank you !

it was an unexpected turn of events and it has shown me a few things - electronics / speakers is not worth upgrading - beyond a point - the room plays a large role - our living spaces are our compromise.

Mains power is another area many of us get wrong and might end up spending many dollars when significant improvement can be had for lesser outlay.

Specifically - i find the sound o/p much more lucid and clearer

I like the music with the diffusers

It makes me wonder what the hell was i listening to for so many years !!!

and what was i jumping up and down about ??

It makes me wonder if lesser electronics coupled with a good room and clean power would have sufficed ??

i am hoping to have an acoustician come home - measure the room and see what best i can go without disturbing the family living space too much.

Cannot convert my home into a studio but looking at what can be done with aesthetics and acoustics.

cannot change the flooring as well.

will keep the thread updated.

If you have any specific questions - please ask.

regards
mpw

Try using some bass traps, they make even more difference to me. Also try isolation on sources and amps. Holy Trinity of sound is room, isolation and power, not hardware.

the key is to see what works in my room

I dont have space for corner traps and i dont want to over-cook it..

In my scheme of things - the room then power then isolation - would be the order to work on..

Back