so.. whats in a Naim ?

see this pic..

this is what i did today

put the CDP on top of 10 mm tempered glass which rests on 5 layer cork and rubber footers ( CLD anyone ?? )

what do you think should happen to the sound ?

my observations will follow after some days..

I plan to extend this to the Supernait 2 as well..

footercdp.jpg

Interesting experiment mpw. also try to move the footers to these positions
One Under the power supply, 2nd under the Spindle of the Cd and the other 2 to balance the CD and do check if you see any difference.

Specifically for CDPs i have found Isolation/Decoupling in terms of Springs/suspensions to be far more effective than coupling but looking forward to hear your experience

Thanks @arj

i will do that and check ...

my experience of last night 1.5 hours and this morning 1.5 hours ( with my morning music ) tell me - the changes are very discernible

much better definition and surprisingly if feels like the CD player is digging out even more information from the CD and my amp is able to discern this and pass on to the Merlins to do its thing..

I feel there is this misconception that Naim amps are PRAT only and they dont do delicate stuff well - i have other views on this but thats for another day..

I feel now that music is a chain

good music buried inside the CD / vinyl.....ability of CD player to detect this ( quality of CD player + good isolation so as not to disturb the lens with unwanted micro vibrations )...good interconnects pass onto amplifier - does its thing and out you go from the speakers..

Souce first is a correct way of looking at things IMO...

regards

This picture is not mine but essentially this is what i am trying

I have a thought about improving this with spikes then 10 mm tempered glass then cork and rubber footers on top of which the CDP or amp will rest... i saw that on another forum..

but thats for another time...

footersSN3.jpeg

@arj

i tried moving the footers to below the under the spindle and power supply of the CDP but no difference to my ears.

used a spirit level to check leveling of CDP - all good.

i tried a few old tracks / albums which i am very familiar with and i like the sound now..

more definition..and overall better sound

I realize that Kurt Cobain did not have a good voice at all - i can hear him very clearly in Unplugged in New York and sometimes the imperfections come thru.

But the reality is that we are all human arent we ?

But i like that album nonetheless..

regards

i tried the same under the SN2

but i guess i dont hear any difference..in this case ( with or without )

i do hear something on the source component side as it has moving parts ( CDP ) but this week i will re-check again

regards

sn2footer.jpg

@arj

i tried moving the footers to below the under the spindle and power supply of the CDP but no difference to my ears.

used a spirit level to check leveling of CDP - all good.

i tried a few old tracks / albums which i am very familiar with and i like the sound now..

more definition..and overall better sound

I realize that Kurt Cobain did not have a good voice at all - i can hear him very clearly in Unplugged in New York and sometimes the imperfections come thru.

But the reality is that we are all human arent we ?

But i like that album nonetheless..

regards
hey thats a cause only when the footer is directly below the Component. In this case you have it resting with its regular Footers on glass thats why..my bad as i had not observed that

hey thats a cause only when the footer is directly below the Component. In this case you have it resting with its regular Footers on glass thats why..my bad as i had not observed that

Will check with glass removed...

I remember when i did same kind of experiment with my naim xs2, it did make a little difference in sound but i did not like it. Try removing the glass panel.

Now the Isoacoustics Orea Bronze isolators are directly underneath the CDP but they are themselves on a 10 mm tempered glass sheet which is on the teak wood rack shelf...

oreaBrz.jpg

So...I am simplifying my setup.

I have removed the power strip between the components and the wall sockets.

Now have plugged in all these to the wall.

Gives a neater appearance round the back and there is less clutter of wires

I think it will stay this way.

Regards

One more thing.. am playing the Sony BDP S370 instead of the Philips CD960.

I have this urge or instinct to get a recap done so I guess the CD960 will be out of action for a bit.

It works ..no problem...

but it's just the itch of getting a recap done and getting to know the Sony BDP S370 better...

It's a great all in one.

Regards

One more thing.. am playing the Sony BDP S370 instead of the Philips CD960.

I have this urge or instinct to get a recap done so I guess the CD960 will be out of action for a bit.

It works ..no problem...

but it's just the itch of getting a recap done and getting to know the Sony BDP S370 better...

It's a great all in one.

Regards
Is that really Sony bdp sounds step ahead?Any specific area where CDP is behind Bdp?

Is that really Sony bdp sounds step ahead?Any specific area where CDP is behind Bdp?

The signatures are different - like different flavor of ice cream.

sometimes one tends to enjoy another flavor more than the current one but its all a phase - nothing wrong with either flavor

:)

The CD960 is wonderful as well but its an old player so will be re-capping this and then introducing it back into the fishpond..

After the re-capping - it will come back closer to Philips spec than ever before..

regards

Hi
Did some technician told you that recapping is needed or going with the age of the CD player you thought of getting it done as it is only going to improve sound

From where did you order the replacement capacitors?

Hi
Did some technician told you that recapping is needed or going with the age of the CD player you thought of getting it done as it is only going to improve sound

From where did you order the replacement capacitors?

Hi rikhav

i am going by the age and my gut feel....

No upgrades - only standard recap

seller on ebay de

But this will take time to import and get done..

regards

I am told by Lampizator that -
=====================================================================================
Dear Sir,
from my experience, the 30 years old caps when removed, measure with 1% tolerance, 10times better than “modern” caps.
ELNA and Blackgate caps on the market are usually fakes.

Do not change anything it is not worth the huge risk of messing up your legendary player.

With best regards and namaste !

Lukasz Fikus
===================================================================================

so i guess i will just enjoy the music...

So that means if on physical inspection if caps don't seem swollen or are not leaking there is no point changing caps of old equipment.

I am told by Lampizator that -
=====================================================================================
Dear Sir,
from my experience, the 30 years old caps when removed, measure with 1% tolerance, 10times better than “modern” caps.
ELNA and Blackgate caps on the market are usually fakes.

Do not change anything it is not worth the huge risk of messing up your legendary player.

With best regards and namaste !

Lukasz Fikus
===================================================================================

so i guess i will just enjoy the music...
Awesome info ! No wonder many of the mods ended up deteriorating the sound of components !!!

I am now back to the CD960 - changed the eject tray belts and all is well again..

Happy to have the Sony BDP S370 as an able - drop in - replacement.

believe me i wasnt missing the CD960 too much.

One ( i think final ) change was to change the mains cable of the SN2 from a 3 core 2.5 sq mm Polycab - which was doing fine to a Lapp Olflex Classic CY100 3 core 2.5 sq mm

I did this change on a recco from someone i know and this is purely for mental satisfaction.

I am playing Lata Mangeshkar this Saturday evening and as of today - all urges and audio twitches are gone.

I accept my system and music as it is..

The universe has been very kind to me and i am grateful.

I request the moderators ( @arj / @Nikhil / @Naturelover ) to close this thread as i have nothing more to add or share and plan no major hardware replacements in the short - medium term.

No money you see :)

Thanks for looking and all your likes and remarks.

Take care and good luck.

regards
mpw

I am now back to the CD960 - changed the eject tray belts and all is well again..

Happy to have the Sony BDP S370 as an able - drop in - replacement.

believe me i wasnt missing the CD960 too much.

One ( i think final ) change was to change the mains cable of the SN2 from a 3 core 2.5 sq mm Polycab - which was doing fine to a Lapp Olflex Classic CY100 3 core 2.5 sq mm

I did this change on a recco from someone i know and this is purely for mental satisfaction.

I am playing Lata Mangeshkar this Saturday evening and as of today - all urges and audio twitches are gone.

I accept my system and music as it is..

The universe has been very kind to me and i am grateful.

I request the moderators ( @arj / @Nikhil / @Naturelover ) to close this thread as i have nothing more to add or share and plan no major hardware replacements in the short - medium term.

No money you see :)

Thanks for looking and all your likes and remarks.

Take care and good luck.

regards
mpw

Lapp cable is very good. I used it on one of my friend's system and he was astonished to see the results. During naim time i dont know why but i always preferred the stock power cord but yes i never tried lapp, stock power cord had the naim sound that was missing in other cables. After all naim is all about naim sound.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back