Soekris R-2R DAC Exploration: User opinions, impressions and DIY experience

After hearing out the new rev 7 board of Soekris DAM1021 for a week or so, here are my impressions:

Chain:
Allo Digione (USB transport out) --> Soekris 1021 (DAC USB in) --> Lyrita DHT (Pre) --> AKSA 55 (Pwr) --> KEF R300 + REL T9/i

The overall sound is pleasing and easy on the ears.
Now that I have hearing aids to correct my hearing loss, it is so much more important that the music experience be non-fatiguing.
The highs are there nicely resolved (on what my rig can do), vocals are presented well and bass is enough.
The complete presentation is never in your face.
Sometimes I did not feel the need to turn on the sub (sub does make a difference, but that's another discussion).
Comparing between the revs, I would say the noticeable improvement is in the bass area. It is better to my ears, full and fairly accurate.
R-2R DACs have been called out for loose bass. Did not feel this in my listening.

In one word, if I could describe the sound, it is "fluid" as compared to the Parasound DAC (PCM1798 based) and Schiit Modi 2 Uber (AKM based).
Parasound's implementation is actually quite good as compared to Modi 2 Uber. I found Modi 2 a bit "dark" and "clinical".
These are the only two DACs I can compare against as they are at home and I have listened to them extensively.
Also did quick back-to-back A/B listening to understand the nuances.
It does well with Spotify/Amazon streaming too. @prem characterized R-2R DACs as sympathetic; true he has a very valid point.

A big shout out to @Prodigy for lending this unit.
And more importantly building my unit with the required digital inputs.
Waiting to hear out the Coax-BNC route that would fit with Allo very well in my rig.
Stay tuned, will update when my unit comes over and starts singing.

Cheers,
Raghu
Such a useful post! Raghu, how did you get usb out from Digione? Iirc it actually has a spdif out..

Such a useful post! Raghu, how did you get usb out from Digione? Iirc it actually has a spdif out..
Sorry for the confusion. At the time the Soekris unit did not have COAX/OPT input.
So I used the USB out from RPi-4. Now The unit has USB and COAX.
I use COAX via BNC connection between Digione and Soekris.
It is very enjoyable to my ears.

Cheers,
Raghu

Sorry for the confusion. At the time the Soekris unit did not have COAX/OPT input.
So I used the USB out from RPi-4. Now The unit has USB and COAX.
I use COAX via BNC connection between Digione and Soekris.
It is very enjoyable to my ears.

Cheers,
Raghu
What, if any and how much improvement would you say vs rpi thru usb & digione with coax pls?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back