Soekris R-2R DAC Exploration: User opinions, impressions and DIY experience

After listening to two builds of this DAC, I am convinced it is worth a try to acquire and build one.
Now starts the parts hunt phase.
Cheers,
Raghu

After listening to two builds of this DAC, I am convinced it is worth a try to acquire and build one.
Now starts the parts hunt phase.
Cheers,
Raghu
I would suggest you buy a fully built model from Soekris as it will be a worthwhile upgrade over the kit DAM1021 unless you want to bite the DIY bug.

I would suggest you buy a fully built model from Soekris as it will be a worthwhile upgrade over the kit DAM1021 unless you want to bite the DIY bug.
I did explore this. Currently only 2 models are available (1421/2541 at list price EUR750/1150 respectively)
But these are available only at EU store, which means import. Landed cost will be too high.

DAM1021 should be enough for my use case. There is a long thread detailing how to build it.
DAC module, a USB board, 2 power supplies and a transformer hosted in a chassis. Cost wise it should be cheaper than FBUs.
DAC module came a few days ago. The build will happen soon.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
Great. Power section is the most critical. Put all focus there are the board is quite robust.
Salas seems to be a popular choice for DAC module. May opt for UltraBib1.3
For USB/Power may go with DIYINHK modules. USB is not critical for me, just a back up.
RCA/BNC will be my go to input.

Cheers,
Raghu

Salas seems to be a popular choice for DAC module. May opt for UltraBib1.3
For USB/Power may go with DIYINHK modules. USB is not critical for me, just a back up.
RCA/BNC will be my go to input.

Cheers,
Raghu
For Spdif input, you'll need a 1:1 transformer (Murata da 101c). Procuring that might be challenging - I had to import it via tanotis

I did explore this. Currently only 2 models are available (1421/2541 at list price EUR750/1150 respectively)
But these are available only at EU store, which means import. Landed cost will be too high.

DAM1021 should be enough for my use case. There is a long thread detailing how to build it.
DAC module, a USB board, 2 power supplies and a transformer hosted in a chassis. Cost wise it should be cheaper than FBUs.
DAC module came a few days ago. The build will happen soon.

Cheers,
Raghu
You can also go with DAM1921/41 it comes with all digital inputs onboard. Just needs a 5v PSU.

You can also go with DAM1921/41 it comes with all digital inputs onboard. Just needs a 5v PSU.
1921 was not in stock at US reseller when I last checked. Let me mail them and find out.
It is an attractive option. It also has USB on board with all the other connectors.

Cheers,
Raghu

1921 was not in stock at US reseller when I last checked. Let me mail them and find out.
It is an attractive option. It also has USB on board with all the other connectors.

Cheers,
Raghu
Its showing in stock here:

While waiting for some parts to arrive, @Prodigy and I decided to use the new rev-7 board in his unit/build.
I'm yet to listen to the DAC; will do today. @Prodigy can give a better comparison between the revisions.

PS: I'm currently using the USB-out from RPI of Digione to USB-in of Soekris.
Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
After hearing out the new rev 7 board of Soekris DAM1021 for a week or so, here are my impressions:

Chain:
Allo Digione (USB transport out) --> Soekris 1021 (DAC USB in) --> Lyrita DHT (Pre) --> AKSA 55 (Pwr) --> KEF R300 + REL T9/i

The overall sound is pleasing and easy on the ears.
Now that I have hearing aids to correct my hearing loss, it is so much more important that the music experience be non-fatiguing.
The highs are there nicely resolved (on what my rig can do), vocals are presented well and bass is enough.
The complete presentation is never in your face.
Sometimes I did not feel the need to turn on the sub (sub does make a difference, but that's another discussion).
Comparing between the revs, I would say the noticeable improvement is in the bass area. It is better to my ears, full and fairly accurate.
R-2R DACs have been called out for loose bass. Did not feel this in my listening.

In one word, if I could describe the sound, it is "fluid" as compared to the Parasound DAC (PCM1798 based) and Schiit Modi 2 Uber (AKM based).
Parasound's implementation is actually quite good as compared to Modi 2 Uber. I found Modi 2 a bit "dark" and "clinical".
These are the only two DACs I can compare against as they are at home and I have listened to them extensively.
Also did quick back-to-back A/B listening to understand the nuances.
It does well with Spotify/Amazon streaming too. @prem characterized R-2R DACs as sympathetic; true he has a very valid point.

A big shout out to @Prodigy for lending this unit.
And more importantly building my unit with the required digital inputs.
Waiting to hear out the Coax-BNC route that would fit with Allo very well in my rig.
Stay tuned, will update when my unit comes over and starts singing.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
After hearing out the new rev 7 board of Soekris DAM1021 for a week or so, here are my impressions:

Chain:
Allo Digione (USB transport out) --> Soekris 1021 (DAC USB in) --> Lyrita DHT (Pre) --> AKSA 55 (Pwr) --> KEF R300 + REL T9/i

The overall sound is pleasing and easy on the ears.
Now that I have hearing aids to correct my hearing loss, it is so much more important that the music experience be non-fatiguing.
The highs are there nicely resolved (on what my rig can do), vocals are presented well and bass is enough.
The complete presentation is never in your face.
Sometimes I did not feel the need to turn on the sub (sub does make a difference, but that's another discussion).
Comparing between the revs, I would say the noticeable improvement is in the bass area. It is better to my ears, full and fairly accurate.
R-2R DACs have been called out for loose bass. Did not feel this in my listening.

In one word, if I could describe the sound, it is "fluid" as compared to the Parasound DAC (PCM1798 based) and Schiit Modi 2 Uber (AKM based).
Parasound's implementation is actually quite good as compared to Modi 2 Uber. I found Modi 2 a bit "dark" and "clinical".
These are the only two DACs I can compare against as they are at home and I have listened to them extensively.
Also did quick back-to-back A/B listening to understand the nuances.
It does well with Spotify/Amazon streaming too. @prem characterized R-2R DACs as sympathetic; true he has a very valid point.

A big shout out to @Prodigy for lending this unit.
And more importantly building my unit with the required digital inputs.
Waiting to hear out the Coax-BNC route that would fit with Allo very well in my rig.
Stay tuned, will update when my unit comes over and starts singing.

Cheers,
Raghu
Here you go ! 65EBE68D-ABBA-425B-8E57-47D3B30AADCE.jpeg

Got my unit from FM @Prodigy today. Very neatly built. Thanks buddy.

Hooked up Allo Digione BNC out to Soekris DAC.
This allows me to connect same source and play it on 2 separate sets of components.
Nice!!

Tried raw out (1.4V) to Lyrita and buffered (2V) to Lyrita.
Prefer the raw out as it gives me a little more play on the volume control.
So decided to connect buffered out to the other preamp
Here is the drawing of the rig is wired.

Cheers,
Raghu

Attachments

• rig-conn.pdf
    533.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Got my unit from FM @Prodigy today. Very neatly built. Thanks buddy.

Hooked up Allo Digione BNC out to Soekris DAC.
This allows me to connect same source and play it on 2 separate sets of components.
Nice!!

Tried raw out (1.4V) to Lyrita and buffered (2V) to Lyrita.
Prefer the raw out as it gives me a little more play on the volume control.
So decided to connect buffered out to the other preamp
Here is the drawing of the rig is wired.

Cheers,
Raghu
Congrats
Do share some photos pls

Thanks

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back