Softwares/Programs you can't live without

You did not like Gnumeric? :)
Haven't tried it.

I think that the OO spreadsheet looks a lot better than it did: it will probably do most of what I want, which barely goes beyond basic maths. Does it do pivot tables? Advice from the chief accountant of my ex-employers: "If you want to look really clever, with minimum effort, use pivot tables"! :)

Here's a couple of things I wouldn't live without if using Windows:

--- Drive Image XML. And at least two copies of C: on another disk, written alternately.

--- a Bart PE boot disc. So that you can easily restore your DI-XML image.

These two can save many a broken Windows setup without re-install. Remember to back up any data on C: first, though! You can restore individual files or directories, so a complete overwrite of C: is not needed unless it is really screwed.

--- Testdisk is a great recovery tool.

looks like the above guy has my fav progs in his list!
anyway my addictions!

bitcomet,
winamp
dfx plugin
breakaway plugin
vlc
bitdefender total security anti virus!
itunes-looks like my ipod cant survive without it(even though i personally hate it!)
google search engine(evn though it aint a prog!)...cnt live without it!....

google search engine(evn though it aint a prog!)...cnt live without it!....
Very true. I hardly ever even think of other search engines. Much as I may dislike the idea of a powerful monopoly, it looks like they won me over long ago.

I'm fairly loyal to Firefox too. Well, it's the only browser I use, so you could say that is very loyal, but I wouldn't completely rule out a change one day.

Very true. I hardly ever even think of other search engines. Much as I may dislike the idea of a powerful monopoly, it looks like they won me over long ago.

I'm fairly loyal to Firefox too. Well, it's the only browser I use, so you could say that is very loyal, but I wouldn't completely rule out a change one day.

just like me bro!...addictd to firefox with google being the homepage in it ever since 2005!!!!!!!!!!!!....even though xpermntng with the new opera browser but nothing compares to the small/flexible/dedicated firefox!....as about google=i never even bother about knowng other search engines except for torrentz.com which is the ultimate if you are into non stop torrents downloading:D!.most used are these thngs in my pc!....

Last edited:
Haven't tried it.

I think that the OO spreadsheet looks a lot better than it did: it will probably do most of what I want, which barely goes beyond basic maths. Does it do pivot tables? Advice from the chief accountant of my ex-employers: "If you want to look really clever, with minimum effort, use pivot tables"! :)

Here's a couple of things I wouldn't live without if using Windows:

--- Drive Image XML. And at least two copies of C: on another disk, written alternately.

--- a Bart PE boot disc. So that you can easily restore your DI-XML image.

These two can save many a broken Windows setup without re-install. Remember to back up any data on C: first, though! You can restore individual files or directories, so a complete overwrite of C: is not needed unless it is really screwed.

--- Testdisk is a great recovery tool.

I dont know, Thad. Gotta try and see if it does. I hate pivot tables :)

About recovering a Windows install, just about any Linux distribution with NTFS reading capability can do that.

You guys want a search engine that is way better than torrentz. Try Bitche. Its a metasearch tool - actually a desktop utility. Very very useful.

Of course for Linux I have the uber-useful qbittorrent.

There used to be a time when I used search engines like crazy. Desktop search engines like Copernic. And there was another meta search tool which claimed that it would search the "invisible web" (google that for more information). I forgot its name. But I doubt is available anymore.

But you guys might be surprised at the wealth of information lying beyond Google.

just like me bro!...addictd to firefox with google being the homepage in it ever since 2005!!!!!!!!!!!!....even though xpermntng with the new opera browser but nothing compares to the small/flexible/dedicated firefox!....as about google=i never even bother about knowng other search engines except for torrentz.com which is the ultimate if you are into non stop torrents downloading:D!.most used are these thngs in my pc!....
Small I could argue with --- it's absurd usage of memory is its big problem.

It is a revalation how much better these programs (Firefox and Thunderbird) work under Ubuntu, though, compared to the swimming-in-treacle Windows performance.

Firefox... I just like the way it works, and I'm used to it. I just wish they would concentrate now on internals, rather than follow the MS route of changing the look and feel and calling it an upgrade. Version 4... will have to find the settings to make it look like V3. Just like I made XP look (it works much better) look like 2000. Come to think of it... my Ubuntu theme is not so far off either.

Cannot abide cosmetic change for the sake of change!

Small I could argue with --- it's absurd usage of memory is its big problem.

It is a revalation how much better these programs (Firefox and Thunderbird) work under Ubuntu, though, compared to the swimming-in-treacle Windows performance.

Firefox... I just like the way it works, and I'm used to it. I just wish they would concentrate now on internals, rather than follow the MS route of changing the look and feel and calling it an upgrade. Version 4... will have to find the settings to make it look like V3. Just like I made XP look (it works much better) look like 2000. Come to think of it... my Ubuntu theme is not so far off either.

Cannot abide cosmetic change for the sake of change!

Firefox uses the least memory among all its competitors. Check out the *recent* numbers in any tests and Firefox is the best.

For me its, Foobar2000, Google Chrome, VLC, BitComet, GIMP/PS, Avira Anti Vir, Free Download Manager, WinRAR, MS Office/Open Office.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back