Softwares/Programs you can't live without

Small I could argue with --- it's absurd usage of memory is its big problem.

It is a revalation how much better these programs (Firefox and Thunderbird) work under Ubuntu, though, compared to the swimming-in-treacle Windows performance.

Firefox... I just like the way it works, and I'm used to it. I just wish they would concentrate now on internals, rather than follow the MS route of changing the look and feel and calling it an upgrade. Version 4... will have to find the settings to make it look like V3. Just like I made XP look (it works much better) look like 2000. Come to think of it... my Ubuntu theme is not so far off either.

Cannot abide cosmetic change for the sake of change!

Thad - if you are on Linux try Iceweasel or Swiftfox. There will be no turning back to Firefox!

Firefox uses the least memory among all its competitors. Check out the *recent* numbers in any tests and Firefox is the best.

Could you please point me to these tests?

Both Chrome as well as Opera perform much better when it comes to resource consumption. And remember the browser arena is essentially a 3 horse race today. IE is nowhere on the horizon.

Thanks for the recommendation, but I am happy at the moment, with FF. Moving all my stuff from Windows was fairly painless, even with the occasional incompatible add-in.

A good source of useful odds and ends of software is Lifehacker. Apart from that, it is full of ridiculous efficiency/productivity stuff that verges on obsessive compulsive disorder. Hey, how to save a few seconds folding towels, so you have more time for other stuff!

Of course... if that "other stuff" is sitting in front of the hifi, then I guess that is ok. As long as it isn't work! :lol:

Thad - if you are on Linux try Iceweasel or Swiftfox. There will be no turning back to Firefox!

Could you please point me to these tests?

Both Chrome as well as Opera perform much better when it comes to resource consumption. And remember the browser arena is essentially a 3 horse race today. IE is nowhere on the horizon.

Browser Speed Tests: Firefox 3.6, Chrome 4, Opera 10.5, and Extensions

There are many other similar tests with the same result, but I have just posted the first one I could find.

I second Thad here firefox does eat up memory when compared to chrome or opera and safari for windows. I do not know about any tests this I speak from my own experience of using these in both linux and windows. Like audio reviews from experts software testing on the net you take with a pinch of salt.

On the subject of softwares we love has any of you used lynx which was there in linux systems text based browsing. tht was good I loved it when I was depending on dial up connection to browse the net some 15yrs back and when pamela anderson full pic never used to show up before hte net gets disc those were frustrating times :mad:

Browser Speed Tests: Firefox 3.6, Chrome 4, Opera 10.5, and Extensions

There are many other similar tests with the same result, but I have just posted the first one I could find.

I am sorry but this test is too old to be valid.

Also Firefox without TabMixPlus is an unuseable browser for me. Opera does it all out of the box. And yes Opera 10.6 is much snappier in warm/cold starts and even in memory management. Chrome is even faster but I do not like the browser too much. Privacy policy et al....

Opera fans are very dedicated, and as I haven't looked at it since it was ad-ware, I won't say a thing.

Of course, I do have TabMixPlus (Firefox add-ins we can't live without is another thread, if it doesn't exist already!) but it is not as vital as it was when tabs were new to FF: much of the stuff got written into FF itself.

I second Thad here firefox does eat up memory when compared to chrome or opera and safari for windows. I do not know about any tests this I speak from my own experience of using these in both linux and windows. Like audio reviews from experts software testing on the net you take with a pinch of salt.

On the subject of softwares we love has any of you used lynx which was there in linux systems text based browsing. tht was good I loved it when I was depending on dial up connection to browse the net some 15yrs back and when pamela anderson full pic never used to show up before hte net gets disc those were frustrating times :mad:

I still use lynx ! I mean, that's one of the first things I install on a new Debian box.

There's nothing faster than lynx. Probably links and links2 as well (which display images and have mouse support ). But I personally prefer lynx.

Among GUI browsers, I stick with iceweasel.

Other good lightweight options - Kazekage, Midori, Seamonkey ! (looks and interface wise not that great)

I am sorry but this test is too old to be valid.

Also Firefox without TabMixPlus is an unuseable browser for me. Opera does it all out of the box. And yes Opera 10.6 is much snappier in warm/cold starts and even in memory management. Chrome is even faster but I do not like the browser too much. Privacy policy et al....

Typical brainwashed Opera user: Can't accept the facts even with a citation.

Heh. And as far as I can tell, none of them matter really ! Unless one's hardware's capabilities are severely limited...in which case they all are bad, the big names of course.

Typical brainwashed Opera user: Can't accept the facts even with a citation.

Your citation is dated! As is your statement. Read this if you care.

Web Browser Grand Prix 2: The Top 5 Tested And Ranked : Introduction

There is only one factor which Firefox beats others. And this too is not valid as the other browsers (when fully featured) beat Firefox with necessary extensions. But like Thad said, the extensions that one needs varies with usage. So that will be personal. For my usage, to get Firefox close to Opera means that it becomes a memory hog.

And try and understand others' points before accusing them of something. I use a variety of browsers and have no sense of everlasting faithfulness to any particular software.

Autodesk 3d Studio Max
Autodesk Maya
Pixar Photorealistic Renderman
Caho's Vray
Side Effects Houdini
E-On Vue Infinite
EyeOn Digital Fusion
Foundry Nuke
Autodesk Flame, Smoke, Flint, Lustre, Inferno
Apple Shake
........to name a few....

cheers.

There is only one factor which Firefox beats others. And this too is not valid as the other browsers (when fully featured) beat Firefox with necessary extensions. But like Thad said, the extensions that one needs varies with usage. So that will be personal. For my usage, to get Firefox close to Opera means that it becomes a memory hog.

And try and understand others' points before accusing them of something. I use a variety of browsers and have no sense of everlasting faithfulness to any particular software.

The link you provided shows that Opera is actually the worst performer when it comes to memory, using far more than Firefox- which is what I said earlier. I did not make claims to performance in any other respect. You just proved my point.

The link you provided shows that Opera is actually the worst performer when it comes to memory, using far more than Firefox- which is what I said earlier. I did not make claims to performance in any other respect. You just proved my point.

Your point? Did you not read my full post? Do you want me to show you a report of Firefox's memory usage with extensions running and with the latest versions of the browsers?

Firefox comes 3rd in a race of 3. Thats what that test was all about at Tom's Hardware. But that does not mean it is a bad browser. You may prefer it. I still do like its modularity and its unbeatable flexibility.

But that does not mean you need to look down upon another browser and worse yet, speak down at users of another browser!

From the article :

"In the previous Web Browser Grand Prix, Opera had a small lead on our winner Google Chrome when the results were broken down by category. This time around, Opera wrangles a massive victory, dominating in eight out of the fourteen categories. This makes Opera the hands down winner of Web Browser Grand Prix 2. Though Google Chrome holds a scant lead in points when taking all benchmarks into account, Opera easily wins the speed race and owns over half of the wins per category. Right now, the Norgwegian browser-maker is the only outfit that can claim to have "the world's fastest browser.""

Noscript and adblockplus are the main reason why I am using firefox nowadays previously I was using Opera.Because I have 2.5GB free usage limit per month so only way to browse withing a limit is using firefox with add-ons.

Noscript and adblockplus are the main reason why I am using firefox nowadays previously I was using Opera.Because I have 2.5GB free usage limit per month so only way to browse withing a limit is using firefox with add-ons.

Give Kmeleon a try if those are the addons you cannot do without. It is faster, more responsive and lighter on memory. There is also a Community created variant which has a very nice theme and a preconfigured Speed Dial - like Opera.

opera is great these days but firefox is what i am used/addicted to!.......recomnded my uncle and a nephew to install opera today as the speed dial is very easy to use for noobish senior citizens!!!!!!!!

all said about usual sws ... i want to add a tiny one Divfix++
..fixes downloaded movies at 60%+...makes them playable, saves from me downloading full movie if it is not good .

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back