Solar Power for my AV Room

Forget all that calculation, check this out ..

1kW-10kW Power Plant | SIRMOURI Solar Energy India | Price

A 2KVA COMPLETE system with everything (all accessories), panels, Solar PCU Inverter and 4 Batteries (150 Ah X 12 V) comes to 2 L. If I go for 2.5 KVA. My investment will be around 2.5L, for 5 years I will pay around 5K every month (Bank EMI) and zero electricity bill (as I will go off grid completely). After 5 years when my EMI finishes, I would be generating all electricity for free. Even with AMC of 4500/year (as per site), my per month cost would be 375 Rs. My TOTAL alloted/sanctioned load from electricity dep is 3KVA!!! on which I run every got damm thing, including 1.5 TON AC. So with 2.5 KVA setup I should be able to run 1 ton AC 3-4 LED a 32Inch LED TV and a laptop plus 100-200 W as buffer (router switch STB etc), that is all I need to cut summers.

Your thoughts ..... :)

I am not interested in On grid system as power cuts in summers at my location is high 5-6 hours every day.

I think you missed to factor in the cost of replacing batteries after 5 years. Approximately it will cost 50 to 60K for replacing 4x 12V 150AH batteries.

Thanks,
Bibin

Wow that is co incidental, even I am looking for a solar panel system (off grid)

THis website gave a lot I mean a lot of info on solar rooftop systems ..
https://www.bijlibachao.com/using-renewables/solar

My avg monthly electricity bill is 3-4K, summers it touches 7-8K, coz my AC runs like fan in summers :D(I am in Delhi NCR). I was just wondering, if a 2KVA solar unit will run 1 TON 3 star AC and few other things like 3-4 LED lights and laptop, that would me more than sufficient to cut summers. Then if I take a loan for like 3-4 years, and instead of paying the bill I pay the installment, would I be able to recover my money in 3-4 years when my installments end. I then would be generating electricity for free at that time.

Does this even make sense at all, or am I missing something completely here?? Need help on this from the FM who have installed this kind of system

To get ROI from a Grid-Tie solar system, it will take approximately 6 to 7 years. Where as in off grid solar system the probability of ROI is little as the batteries needs replacement.

Note: This is an approximate calculation based on the current electricity rates @ Kerala (Electricity is comparatively cheaper in Kerala).

Thanks,
Bibin

Last edited:
I think you missed to factor in the cost of replacing batteries after 5 years. Approximately it will cost 50 to 60K for replacing 4x 12V 150AH batteries.

Thanks,
Bibin

Ok so an additional 1K per month added ..... in 5 years I will have 60K to purchase another set of batteries. Then for next 5 years I will only have to invest 1000+350 (AMC) per month, ... so basically 1300 would be my monthly cost of running electricity 24x7, which would be still much much less than what I pay now.

Will the off-grid system uses the solar energy first and switch over to grid once additional power is required?

Or is the other way round? I don't want to invest 3L on a off-grid system and use the energy only when the power in the grid goes out.

That is up to you I guess, like I was planning to only use solar power, but keep the electricity connection intact, incase the power cut goes too long like more than 5-6 hours at night then the solar batteries will deplete(assuming night and you were on AC all the time) , you can switch over to mains for the night time. The moment day/sun arrives, you will start generating the electricity again, simultaneously charging your batteries as well, and then you can go off grid again.

BUT I am no means an expert, so the above logic needs to be confirmed. I will be calling people from SIRMOURI Solar Energy India | Price and enquire.

To get ROI from a Grid-Tie solar system, it will take approximately 6 to 7 years. Where as in off grid solar system the probability of ROI is little as the batteries needs replacement.

Note: This is an approximate calculation based on the current electricity rates @ Kerala (Electricity is comparatively cheaper in Kerala).

Thanks,
Bibin

...and how are we calculating the ROI for off GRID system?

Will the off-grid system uses the solar energy first and switch over to grid once additional power is required?

Or is the other way round? I don't want to invest 3L on a off-grid system and use the energy only when the power in the grid goes out.

That is up to you I guess, like I was planning to only use solar power, but keep the electricity connection intact ...

The Sukam unit has the feature to turn off mains charging. I would hope that would be ok in Chennai for ten months of the year.

It also has Solar/Mains/Battery or Solar/Battery/Mains selector. The first provides good backup capacity for power cuts, the second uses that battery power rather than keeping it just in case. (as I understand it.

I am considering the Sukam MPPT 1000VA/24v. (oh, and MPPT or PWM is another choice. The former is more expensive. Thank god there is not a DSD option!)

Ok Went for a HUGE discussion with the owner of the company. (I managed to get some "Jaan Pehchan") so was able to speak to the owner and the manager of the company directly. 5KVA Luminous system, 8 Batteries will run every got damn thing, AC 10-12 Hours non stop on back up. (Then 3-4 hours of charging needed, rest all electricals will continue to work while the batteries are charged), then you can switch on the AC again). ROI in min 5 Years, if I go with the loan.(after that you will be Generating Free electricity (well almost, assuming you save 1000 bucks every month for the batteries for next 7 years) Batteries 5 years guarantee, but the dude said 7-8 year the batteries work easily. Panel will work for 25-30 years, which is almost the remaining life time for me.. :). ...... Cost around 4.5L, for which I am taking a loan of 3.5L, for 5 years. My electricity bill in summers (from MAY to OCT) is 6-7K. The EMI will be 5.6K+1K (save for batteries), so I dont think I will feel any hit. And after 5 years, when the EMI finishes I will be generating the electricity for peanuts .. :D.

What do FMs think...:)

Congratulations, sam9s! :) Have you gone ahead and placed the order?

My problem is that much of my income comes from (diminishing) capital. Thus, every time I go in for a big spend, I'm paying for it for the rest of my life because I'll never get that interest again. Thus. I am, at least for now, limiting myself to what I can save up from pension in a few months.

So please continue with your input.

Ok Went for a HUGE discussion with the owner of the company. (I managed to get some "Jaan Pehchan") so was able to speak to the owner and the manager of the company directly. 5KVA Luminous system, 8 Batteries will run every got damn thing, AC 10-12 Hours non stop on back up. (Then 3-4 hours of charging needed, rest all electricals will continue to work while the batteries are charged), then you can switch on the AC again). ROI in min 5 Years, if I go with the loan.(after that you will be Generating Free electricity (well almost, assuming you save 1000 bucks every month for the batteries for next 7 years) Batteries 5 years guarantee, but the dude said 7-8 year the batteries work easily. Panel will work for 25-30 years, which is almost the remaining life time for me.. :). ...... Cost around 4.5L, for which I am taking a loan of 3.5L, for 5 years. My electricity bill in summers (from MAY to OCT) is 6-7K. The EMI will be 5.6K+1K (save for batteries), so I dont think I will feel any hit. And after 5 years, when the EMI finishes I will be generating the electricity for peanuts .. :D.

I think it is worth going for it. Moreover the Cost of electricity will go up in the coming years adding to the saves. It feels great to 'Go Green' as well :)

Update on your decision.

Just an update from the OP. I have an on-grid system, see page 1 of this thread. Have stopped paying bescom 2.5k per month, my usual electricity bill and am getting paid 1.5k per month by Bescom for my excess generation. It's not just ROI. Also think of the comfort factor, I just don't realise when the power cut happens, since it's available all the time. The only time I get to know a power cut happens is at night when the street lights go off.
Cheers.

Congratulations, sam9s! :) Have you gone ahead and placed the order?

My problem is that much of my income comes from (diminishing) capital. Thus, every time I go in for a big spend, I'm paying for it for the rest of my life because I'll never get that interest again. Thus. I am, at least for now, limiting myself to what I can save up from pension in a few months.

So please continue with your input.

No Not now I will be going to Gurgaon (end of this month) to meet the manager personally, to take the deal further, plus also to discuss other aspects, like which panels to go for, how and what features I want within my home (as I have a very discreet power segregation in my home) and how they will manage to install on my roof (need 300 SQF), ... then will give the advance and let them start the work. Hope I am taking a right decision.:)

Just an update from the OP. I have an on-grid system, see page 1 of this thread. Have stopped paying bescom 2.5k per month, my usual electricity bill and am getting paid 1.5k per month by Bescom for my excess generation. It's not just ROI. Also think of the comfort factor, I just don't realise when the power cut happens, since it's available all the time. The only time I get to know a power cut happens is at night when the street lights go off.
Cheers.

Yes had a discussion with the owner/manager on this aspect as well. But with 8-10 hours cut at my place (during summers) with 2-3 hours at night**, we decided not to go for on grid system (as when the electricity goes, I will be brought back to my conventional normal home inverter system), which is just running 2 fans, bedroom LEDs, My networking system and my Laptop, with this I can run everything 24x7 (including AC and fridge as well)and here without AC at night its living HELL. So with an extra investment of 60-70K I am opting for Off grid, that will atleast make sure I have electricity 24x7 AND most IMP, AC running non stop at night (Ahh!! PEACE)..:D. Plus as I said after 5 years. I will be having my own personal 5KVA GRID :) generating all its electricity for a nominal charge (1000 bucks + 360(for Meter Rental). I had a discussion with my cousin as well, and everybody says its looks and sounds worth, as 5 years is not such a big span considering the entire life time. So touch wood, I hope with Gods Grace I will be taking a correct decision.

PS :: **Not to forget, bad fluctuations, low voltage, which also is very common. I lost one of my AC's "some" internal part that rendered it useless, it was an expense of 5K to bring back the AC's life. Here I will be getting absolutely pure, clean Uninterrupted Power Supply. I probably will sell off my online UPS and my entire current inverter system with batteries, which will give me another saving of 15-20K

Last edited:
Just an update from the OP. I have an on-grid system, see page 1 of this thread.
Thanks for the reminder to review the thread from the start and see your setup again
I just don't realise when the power cut happens, since it's available all the time. The only time I get to know a power cut happens is at night when the street lights go off.
So your system is a combination of on and off grid with inverter/batteries and supplying excess power back to grid? Had gathered this was mutually exclusive, although had thought in my mind that an isolation device must be possible. ???

As per sam8s' proposed setup...

Yes had a discussion with the owner/manager on this aspect as well. But with 8-10 hours cut at my place (during summers) with 2-3 hours at night**, we decided not to go for on grid system (as when the electricity goes, I will be brought back to my conventional normal home inverter system), which is just running 2 fans, bedroom LEDs, My networking system and my Laptop, ... ... ...
What's the maths on high-current devices like AC and battery storage in real-world terms? I'm useless at sums, but was thinking that 1Kw-plus devices would make even quite a lot of 150amp-hour batteries look silly. And I think a 2-ton AC is more like 3Kw.

Have not taken govt subsidy. You do get between 80 and 90% depreciation benefit for income tax.
Does that work at all for a private individual with nothing that looks anything like a business for which to claim expenses?

Last edited:
No Not now I will be going to Gurgaon (end of this month) to meet the manager personally, to take the deal further, plus also to discuss other aspects, like which panels to go for, how and what features I want within my home (as I have a very discreet power segregation in my home) and how they will manage to install on my roof (need 300 SQF), ... then will give the advance and let them start the work. Hope I am taking a right decision.:)

Hi all just thought to let people know I have proceeded with this plan and have made the payment. From Monday the guy will come to take the measurements.

Btw the dude sent me a video to understand how solar power off grid system works, it actually was a pretty decent video to explain few doubts I had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4RNBA2xFDg

Will keep you all updated, probably will start a new thread for this ...

Hi all just thought to let people know I have proceeded with this plan and have made the payment. From Monday the guy will come to take the measurements.

Btw the dude sent me a video to understand how solar power off grid system works, it actually was a pretty decent video to explain few doubts I had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4RNBA2xFDg

Will keep you all updated, probably will start a new thread for this ...

Hi,

If you are going with Sukam system, please don't take their batteries. Go for Exide Sola-Tubular. I am using Sukam Brainy at home and the batteries came along with that died just after two years. After 24 months the warranty is pro-rata, which is of no use.

Exide Sola-Tubular comes with 5 years full replacement warranty. Other than that the Sukam solar power solutions are really good.

Thanks,
Bibin

ok ..let me ask the manager if this is possible ...

BTW what kind of system are you using , some more details if you can provide :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back