Some advice please...

aston989

I have come by a Thorens TD160 mk 2 (which I know to be in excellent order), Quad 44/405 combination (recently serviced/overhauled by a reputable engineer)...and Bose 501 speakers (provenance pretty unknown). Is this likely to be a good combination or where will the problems be (the speakers)?

:D You have answered your query yourself !

Jokes aside, plug in the system & hear it play music. If you find something missing/inadequate, investigate & ask for options. Hope you have good quality records to play & that the cart of the TT is in good nick.

Would love to see pics of the components too.

Cheers
:)

P.S...I have been offered a pair of Spendor BC2. Assuming these are in decent order (as I am assured) would these be much better than the Bose?

Never heard them but proof of the pudding as they say...
Only way to know would be to see if they float your boat is by pairing them with the rest of the components, heck the bose might float your boat too so best to hear both & then take a call.

Meanwhile some links fished out of google linked to the spendor's, for your perusal

Spendor BC1 [Archive] - The Art of Sound Forum

Some interesting info was reg drivers in the above link:
Which version are they, clear mid bass or black midbass, alnico or ferrite magnets?

Alnico magnet based ones would be good I suppose :D

Spendor BC2 High Quality Floorstanding Loudspeakers + Original Spendor Stands | eBay

Spendor BC2 - Singapore & Malaysia Hifi | Hifi Singapore | Hifi Malaysia | Singapore Hifi Products | Malaysia Hifi Products | Hifi Audio | Stereo Hifi | Used Audio Equipment | Used Hifi Equipment | New Audio Equipment | New Hifi Equipment | Used Hifi

BTW, how much is the price for the spendor's??? Are the stands included???
Stands are must for them & stands specifically made for them not the run of the mill ones available for most speakers, pls do check up on this as well.

The guy wants 250 for the Spendors, seems a lot based on sheer age, I think I will live the Bose a while and see how I feel about them over a bit of time. Much appreciate your help.

Well he ain't far from the price on the ebay link i sent you.
Do post some pics when you have the gears set-up.
Pics are always welcome on this forum :licklips:

Cheers

Thanks for being so interested, I don't have photos of the Bose speakers but here are the Thorens TT and Quad stuff, a lot of work was done by Amplabs.
James

Attachments

• TT.jpg
    TT.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Quad 44.jpg
    Quad 44.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Quad 405.jpg
    Quad 405.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 45
NICE Pics :thumbsup:

All look to be in good cosmetic condition.

Hook 'em up with the Bose & enjoy the music

:)

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back