Some new Turntables in my stable

kuruvilajacob

Hi friends,
I had the rare opportunity of playing 2 Linn Sondek LP 12 side by side in my listening room. The second LP 12 is a new old stock of their earlier models which came with a Stax UA 7 tonearm. Stax UA tone arm is manufactured by Micro Siekie as I understand is ideal for the Micro Siekie DDX 1000. Though I initially compared the existing LP 12 with the new one, I decided to put the Stax arm on the Micro Sieki and used a professional Ortofone arm on the LP 12. When i compared the two LP 12 players,, my old LP 12 with Linn Ittok arm had the signature Linn warmth and wall to wall sound stage which no other TT can produce. That's why Linn LP 12 has gained it's iconic status. The new old stock Linn was more refined with sharper and cleaner sound stage more like a Rega RP 9 which I happened to listen to recently. Though I prefer the former, most new generation listeners would opt for the latter as it is more neutral. Now,when I changed the Stax arm to the Micro Seikie, it brought out the best from this TT. I never knew the real caliber of this most sought after TT until I could match it with an arm designed for the Micro Seikie. In my learning experience , the tone arm and TT combination , has been a real revelation. I have added another wonderful TT to my stable, and that is a Systemdeck IIX with a Rega tonearm and 2 M Red. This to me is the most balanced presentation in a vinyl payback . It does not make you feel anything is lacking at the same time you can get every detail in a very well proportioned manner. If any forum members want to listen to several good TTs performing side by side, you are welcome. Now for some pictures

Last edited:
I am also learning the art of setting up suspended belt drives like AR, Thorens, Systemdeck and of course the Linn. A well set up Linn is not easy to beat. But there is a way to balance the springs and that's not easy. Many people do not buy Linn for this very reason. Well, after going through the experience of many Linn fans, i have decided to learn the art and it can come only with experience. Obtaing the famous "Linn Bounce" is a worthwhile excercise. Some more pictures of Micro Seikie with Stax UA 7 arm .. Now Stax UA is a unipivot tonearm and it does not perform well unless the arm is parallel to the record surface. But like the Linn,, if Stax arm can be well aligned with matching cart, it can perform exceptionally well.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back