Some observations while designing crossover

sudhirbhosale

Hi
Came across some interesting observations which I am sharing as below:

1. Crossover slope: The objective in design is to limit crossover slope. I think same can be also achieved by using high grade components having less tolerance. e.g. cap with 10mf having 10% tolerance would perform in range of 9mf - 11 mf hence give wides slope. This can be controlled by using cap of 2% tolerance. So that slope angle can be controlled.

2. Cone breakup: Pl see attached chart of mid-woofer. I don't see any spike to determine cone breakup point. So should I ignore the it in design provision?

3. Adding resister to adjust driver level / flatten impedance - Adding resister to achieve this - Would it cause influence on overall parameters like impendence of total crossover unit etc? E.g. Adding resister with tweeter in series would increase impedance of driver hence would change crossover point again. It will also have impact on level. Am I correct?

4. Phase, diffraction and delay - How much useful and important is this if my amp is 30+30 RMS only. Because some issue get magnified with higher power.

So I think if my AMP power is low then it makes sense to keep crossover simple using high grade components. I may get benefit of lesser processing of sound signals.

My drivers are Peerless S16NI and TL26SG
Expert comments please

Attachments

• DataSheet.jpg
    DataSheet.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 53
Why don't you go for active xo to minimize the hassle? I know that purists will differ from my point. Again, i'm yet to try the active xo in my chain. But some of my friends found better results going from passive to active.

The driver sensitivity is 90db. I think the amp power is more than enough.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back