Some queries on Blu Ray players

haisaikat

Hi,
I have a query regarding BD Players. How can I identify the following if not specified explicitely by looking at the specs of a BD Player

1. whether it is capable of outputting 7.1 or is only limited to 5.1 (over any output HDMI etc)
2. whether it is 3D (difference with 3D Ready and 3D BDP is not clear)
3. Will having HDMI 1.3 signify anything over 1.4(x)?

Two example specs are given below

http://www.worldwidevoltage.com/panasonic-dmp-bd45ga-k-multi-region-blu-ray-dvd-player.html
-- says it supports 5.1

http://www.worldwidevoltage.com/panasonic-dmp-bd601-multi-region-blu-ray-player.html
-- does not say anything explicitely

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi,
I have a query regarding BD Players. How can I identify the following if not specified explicitely by looking at the specs of a BD Player

1. whether it is capable of outputting 7.1 or is only limited to 5.1 (over any output HDMI etc)

Two example specs are given below

PANASONIC DMP-BD45GA-K MULTI REGION BLU RAY DVD PLAYER
-- says it supports 5.1

PANASONIC DMP-BD60 MULTI REGION BLU RAY PLAYER
-- does not say anything explicitely)

Thanks

A : All current gen BD Playes can output (bitstream 7.1 audio over HDMI.)

There are couple of varients of 3D floating around. The original is called the Frame Sequential 3D, that is present on all original 3D BDs. You need a proper BD player that supports 3D BDs or ISOs (frame sequential) to be able to play 3D. (apart from the 3D capable TV ofcourse)

Another common and effective 3D is the SBS (Side-by-Side), that may or may not be derived from original 3D BD, as any movie can be converted to SBS 3D. Most of the 3D movies floating around in mkv are SBS 3D. The advantage is that, you dont need a 3D capable player to play these files, any normal media player/computer can play it, including a normal 2D DB player. (all you need is a 3D TV that can render SBS format (which mostly do, in todays scenario))
How ever 3D ISO and disks are complete frame sequential 3D movies and can only be played on proper 3D capable media/disc players.

For SBS 3D you dont need HDMI 1.4. 1.3 just does fine, however for 3D BDs or ISO (frame sequential) you need HDMI 1.4 capable player.

PS :: I just noticed that you have mentioned Panasonic BD60 Bluray player, which is what I have. Needless to says its an exceptional BD player with full 7.1 bitstreaming support over HDMI.

Last edited:
Thank you very much sam9s. This was a great reply. I have asked iccworld for the price of thsi items and will wait and see what price this comes down to.

I think the other one i.e BD45GA in that case was specifying 5.1 for LPCM output and that one may also have the capability to bitstream 7.1.

One additional question, is thyere a way to identify which one has a better DAC for video and Audio by looking at the numbers? If my AVR DAC is better will that help?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back