Some views on projector picture calibration

mahiruha

Hello Guys,
I want to know how do you calibrate your projectors? I have a sanyo plv-z5 projector. It has so many calibration options that most of it I don't really understand. Any suggestions on what basic things to do when calibrating a projector.
Thanks in advance,
Mahiruha.

You basically have to set the following properly for video calibration

Brightness or Black level
Contrast or White level
Color also called chroma
Tint or Hue
Sharpness for detail.

I am not sure 1f your projector comes with a DVD. If not please get a video calibration DVD such as one of the following:

Some of these are available as downloads from various Torrent sites, But I strongly feel you must get your hands on an original DVD. It does not make sense to me to use a "pirated" software to set your system up. All these are available for between 10 to 50 dollars, excepting the Spyder which needs special hardware. I have found the Avia II and Sound&Vision discs to be superb.

If you look at Projector People : Video Calibration, you will get the same advise.

Cheers

Hello Venkat,
thanks for your reply. I have researched all the calibration dvds you mentioned and found AVIA 2 seems to be the best. I have to order it from amazon. Never purchased any dvds from america do u know if there are any issues with NTSC or PAL otherwise my dvd player is region free. Previously I downloaded AVIA from some torrent. It was ok but they didn't have any topic on HD systems and digital connectors. But this verison covers all of it and also they are giving the colour filters which is also very essential for calibration. Hopefully it will be very good. I still feel that the projector people should provide a detailed calibration manual along with the product otherwise the full potential of the product is never explored.Do you have any hands on experience with AVIA 2.
Thanks,
Mahi.

I currently have Avia 2 with me which I have used to calibrate three TVs. It is one of the best you can get your hands on. They have a little hassle with controlling rend tint, but you can manage that after a few attempts. The new Avia 2 gives three filters, and I felt the red filter tends to overdo on the red tint a bit. But after a few attempts, I go it right to suit my eyes.

Just pick up the Avia 2 without any worries.

Cheers

If you have a blu-ray player, i would recommend the DVE in blu ray . yes, it does come with the color filters..
You could also try your hands on EYE-ONE colorimeter (similar to spyder).

Regards

Mahiruha

Amongst the options Venkat has indicated, Avia is probably one of the easiest one to use. It also allows calibration for your audio. DVE while offering a lot of flexibility is slightly complicated to adjust but is very good as well. I would use the older version of Spyder. S&V is OK at best and is not as flexible as any of the above. It will allow you to "just get started".

I have ordered this AVIA 2 from amazon yesterday. Till it arrives hopefully in 10-15 days I have to believe that it will be most usefull to me. This image science foundation guys should open a branch office in India so that they can get contract for video calibration.Actually this video calibration is like a multi dimentional optimization problem.If we fit a mathematical model to it and find different optimized parameters in softwares like Matlab I guess would give the ideal solution. Otherwise this entire calibration procedure is bit subjective not pure science in its true sense. Lets see when this AVIA 2 arrives and what best can be achieved with that.

I have ordered this AVIA 2 from amazon yesterday. Till it arrives hopefully in 10-15 days I have to believe that it will be most usefull to me. Otherwise this entire calibration procedure is bit subjective not pure science in its true sense. Lets see when this AVIA 2 arrives and what best can be achieved with that.

Stop worrying so much. Companies such as Ovation software have done a lot of research before releasing the software. In addition to basic calibration methods, the AVIA 2 DVD also has a large number of advanced signals that you can see and use to set your projector. In addition, they have a number of sample videos. After setting the projector, you can view these videos to ensure that your images are perfect. Believe me, the videos are superb. They have some brilliant colors and motion. One is of a large number of hot air balloons and the colours are vivid and brilliant. Much better than what you can get in any movie. This has been shot with a HD camera on a clear day with no clouds. The camera movement is also very smooth with no jerks. Very pleasing to the eye.

After setting the projector, I would also suggest you use a couple of reference standard movies (Originals please) to ensure your projector is sending the right images for your eyes.

However far technology goes in terms of automating these settings, every human being has a bit of different requirement for both images and sound. So some amount of manual calibration is always required. As I said before my eyes did not agree with the AVIA 2 setting for Red Tint. I adjusted it manually and I am happy with the new setting.

Ultimately what your eyes and ears like ARE the best.

Cheers

I would also do a review of your adjustment after about 4-6 months after the initial one as the projector colours would have settled down with the limited burn in.

Also make sure to calibrate each source separately and note down the final readings for future reference as some dont save well.

calibrate under natural viewing lighting conditions sitting at normal position.

I currently have Avia 2 with me which I have used to calibrate three TVs. It is one of the best you can get your hands on. They have a little hassle with controlling rend tint, but you can manage that after a few attempts. The new Avia 2 gives three filters, and I felt the red filter tends to overdo on the red tint a bit. But after a few attempts, I go it right to suit my eyes.

Just pick up the Avia 2 without any worries.

Cheers

Hello,
I finally got this AVIA and it helped me a lot to calibrate my projector. Then only yesterday I decided to use it to try and calibrate the other two LCD tvs in my house.Both of these TVS are samsung pretty old model bought in 2005 and 2006. I was using sony dvd player with HDMI in one of them and the other was SAMSUNG DVD player with yellow video cable connection. The funny thing is when I was trying to adjust the brightness I could barely see the left vertical bar in the test signal at brightness level of 98. I was wondering have you experienced anything like this. If you have experienced then is there in tweak to circumvent this issue.
thanks in advance,
Mahiruha.

The funny thing is when I was trying to adjust the brightness I could barely see the left vertical bar in the test signal at brightness level of 98. I was wondering have you experienced anything like this. If you have experienced then is there in tweak to circumvent this issue.
thanks in advance,

Mahi, I am sorry I saw this post only now.

Yes I have faced the same issue, but when I connected the DVD Player to the TV though an AVR. With direct connection, the bar was clearly visible.

One way to solve this issue is to play with the settings in the DVD Players. Set them to a slightly higher level, and then go back to calibrating your TV. These are very weak and subtle signals and will need some playing with.

Cheers

Mahi, I am sorry I saw this post only now.

Yes I have faced the same issue, but when I connected the DVD Player to the TV though an AVR. With direct connection, the bar was clearly visible.

One way to solve this issue is to play with the settings in the DVD Players. Set them to a slightly higher level, and then go back to calibrating your TV. These are very weak and subtle signals and will need some playing with.

Cheers

Hello Venkat,
no problem. You have been so helpful on various topics I am really thankful to you. Well regarding the settings I will try and do some changes in the DVD player to see if something better can be accomplished.I am yet to do the calibration using my Cambridge audio azur 540 D dvd player.
But whatever I saw using my old calibration values looked very good. The good thing about CA dvd player is it doesn't have much video modification controls so it doesn't have much possibility of source interference. I will post the observation once I re do the calibration.I find it bit strange that CA DV99 has some video calibration options but 540D doesn't have any. can't really figure out the logic behingd it.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

I am sorry to differ you will not see the last bar because you are using the composite cable and the TV is an old model. I may be wrong also but just wanted to chime in.:)

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back