Song meanings or lyrics that moved/move you whatever the genre.

Thanks Sushant for this nice thread. I like all the songs created by S.D.BURMAN and Sahir Ludhianvi. Songs penned by Gulzar are also soul touching. Besides, Gouri prossanna Majumder, a Bengali lyricist and Pulok Bandopadhyay another talented soul from Bengal created beautiful songs that people like and will listen to in the days yet to come. Above all we have Tagore who had written many beautiful songs for us. I would like to include Ghazals as my favourite for the mesmerizing lyrics.

Nick Cave has been my favourite for years. Here he is singing "Darker with the day".
and I suddenly realize that I have been listening to this for a long time but don't know what it really means as a whole. Any interpretations?

The raucous cheers of the crowd at this live performance of Faiz Ahmed Faiz"s poem . Read that Pakistani army chief assuming charge at the Helm after a coup throwing the PM away was the backdrop in 1979.

Last edited:
Bob dylan songs are amazing lyrics.
I particularly like this one:
Timeless!

They can't take that away from me, and many more from the pen of George and Ira Gershwin. Also Cole Porter!

And this other classic

To dream the impossible dream
To fight the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go
To right the unrightable wrong
To love pure and chaste from afar
To try when your arms are too weary
To reach the unreachable star
This is my quest, to follow that star

Song lyrics and their meaning move people differently. Here is a classic song by Louis Armstrong, which is evergreen and the lyrics have a universal appeal.
It used to be one of my favourites many years back.

Louis Armstrong - What a Wonderful World.

Hear this song, while you are alone, with a good quality ear phone, certainly it will move you. Do not look at the eyes in the you tube video too much. let the music rule you.
Sahalé - Djiin
- play it on youtube directly

Last edited:
No need to tell more on this song and its lyrics..
I was doing my Engineering when this was released and topped the Billboard chart(Thanks to the "Sun" magazine of those days).I managed to get a "Billboard tops" audio cassette and then the Grammy award winning songs cassette came the following year in 1989...Two songs moved us a lot and still continues to move because of its simplicity. One is "Bobby McFerrin's Don't Worry Be Happy" and the other one "Tracy chapman's fast car"....presenting the first one here.....
Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry Be Happy

Thanks Sushant for this nice thread. I like all the songs created by S.D.BURMAN and Sahir Ludhianvi. Songs penned by Gulzar are also soul touching. Besides, Gouri prossanna Majumder, a Bengali lyricist and Pulok Bandopadhyay another talented soul from Bengal created beautiful songs that people like and will listen to in the days yet to come. Above all we have Tagore who had written many beautiful songs for us. I would like to include Ghazals as my favourite for the mesmerizing lyrics.
Bhaskar, pls introduce us to more bengali songs. I have heard a few tagore songs but would like to hear more Bangla music. thanks

No need to tell more on this song and its lyrics..
I was doing my Engineering when this was released and topped the Billboard chart(Thanks to the "Sun" magazine of those days).I managed to get a "Billboard tops" audio cassette and then the Grammy award winning songs cassette came the following year in 1989...Two songs moved us a lot and still continues to move because of its simplicity. One is "Bobby McFerrin's Don't Worry Be Happy" and the other one "Tracy chapman's fast car"....presenting the first one here.....
Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry Be Happy
Anil, this one is a classic and so uplifting. A very close friend of mine is so associated for me with this song. He is going through a difficult time at the moment and I haven't called him in a couple of days now. Thanks for sharing.

Bhaskar, pls introduce us to more bengali songs. I have heard a few tagore songs but would like to hear more Bangla music. thanks
Hi
Sushant
Happy to know that you like Bengali music. Before introducing you with Bengali music, I would like to show various types of the same.
1) Rabindrasangeet( songs of Tagore)2) Nazrulgeeti( songs of Kazi Nazrulgeeti Islam)3) songs composed by Atul prasad, Dwijendralal Roy, Rajani kanta sen4) Adhunik Bangla Gaan5) Baul songs, vatiali, vaoie ( folk songs) 6) Bengali semi classical or raga based songs7) puratoni Bangla gaan 8) Devotional songs 8) movie songs and so on. I shall be happy to share some Bengali songs for music enthusiasts like you.
Cheers
Bhaskar

Hi
Sushant
Happy to know that you like Bengali music. Before introducing you with Bengali music, I would like to show various types of the same.
1) Rabindrasangeet( songs of Tagore)2) Nazrulgeeti( songs of Kazi Nazrulgeeti Islam)3) songs composed by Atul prasad, Dwijendralal Roy, Rajani kanta sen4) Adhunik Bangla Gaan5) Baul songs, vatiali, vaoie ( folk songs) 6) Bengali semi classical or raga based songs7) puratoni Bangla gaan 8) Devotional songs 8) movie songs and so on. I shall be happy to share some Bengali songs for music enthusiasts like you.
Cheers
Bhaskar
that's a lot of homework for me Bhaskar. Thanks for sharing.

Hi
Sushant
You need not prepare your homework which is so vast :) . You just write the name of a genre and listen to it. But if you want to deep delve into Bengali songs then you can study. I have already shared some renditions on HFV . You can listen to those when you are free.

Joni Mitchell, is one of the greatest singer/songwriters.

Listen to 'Blue' a brilliant album which will move you! Listen to the song 'River'. Many of her songs from other albums are covered by multiple artists e.g. 'Both Sides Now' is very moving and covered by so many.

Pyscopath/Sociopath/ Murderous arousal/violence/control/ power/self indulgence..

When I shot him, I was so handsome
It was the light, it was the angle
Her throat it crumbled in my fist
And I spun heroically around
To see Caffrey rising from his seat
I shot that motherfucker down
And the roar of the pistol when it went off
Near blew that hat right off the house
I shot a hole in Kathleen Carpenter
Recently divorced
I swooped magnificent upon her
As she sat shivering in her grief
Remorse sqeezed my hand in it's fradulent claw
With it's golden hairless chest
Well, I caught my eye in the mirror
And gave it a long and loving inspection
My hair combed back like a raven's wing
My muscles hard and tight
Don't shoot", I cried, "I'm a man unarmed!"
So they put me in their car
And they sped me away from that terrible scene
And I glanced out of the window

Joni Mitchell, is one of the greatest singer/songwriters.

Listen to 'Blue' a brilliant album which will move you! Listen to the song 'River'. Many of her songs from other albums are covered by multiple artists e.g. 'Both Sides Now' is very moving and covered by so many.
I'm a big fan too. Love the title song "both sides now". "Coyote" is a wonderful song aswell.

Hi Sushant,
Read in the thread that you like Bengali music. Having stayed in Kolkota for a year and seeing the penchant for music there and the treasure of music that Bengal has given to our country i cant help but salute the musicians and the music that this great land has given us.

Here is a great song with nice lyrics from the movie Manzil. Music by R D Burman and sung by Kishore Kumar.

Cheers.

Enjoy what you have Audiophiles.. in equipment and life in general. Easier to preach but....

"Any minute now, my ship is coming in
I'll keep checking the horizon
I already have a plan
I'm waiting for my real life to begin
And you say, just be here now
Forget about the past, your mask is wearing thin
Just let me throw one more dice
I know that I can win
I'm waiting for my real life to begin."

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back