Songs with great soundstage

For testing soundstaging I often use the first track from Jazz at the Pawnshop 2, Over the Rainbow, which was recorded in 1976! It gives a great ambiance of the bar within which the small jazz band was recorded including a beautiful sax.
I have stuck to this recording as a common piece for auditioning over several years. I find this consistency builds up a very good comparative personal benchmark.
By the way, hope I am not breaking any forum rules by requesting any forum member for A Meeting by the River in exchange for something from my collection - all legit and high quality etc. I have heard much about this recording and always wanted to hear it. Thanks.

Last edited:
i was searching around and saw that foobar2000 has a good reputation as a player. with wasapi component.

now, i noticed that @ironhorse uses it too. could you guys tell me how it differs from my default VLC player?? i read that it has a great DSP, sound quality.

i want some views from people who have actually used it. and whether i should replace VLC in my Laptop/PC.

in addition, i read on the foobar component site:

Adds Windows Audio Session API exclusive mode output support, allowing bit-exact output and muting all other sounds.

the bold part.. will the component replace the default API in my system? if so, are there any limitaitons?

Typically, well-recorded live performances give the best soundstaging. Eva Cassidy's "Live At Blues Alley" (album) has some really nice music with great staging.

Patricia Barber's "Cafe Blue" (studio album, not live) also has some great music with excellent staging.

i was searching around and saw that foobar2000 has a good reputation as a player. with wasapi component.

now, i noticed that @ironhorse uses it too. could you guys tell me how it differs from my default VLC player?? i read that it has a great DSP, sound quality.

i want some views from people who have actually used it. and whether i should replace VLC in my Laptop/PC.

in addition, i read on the foobar component site:

the bold part.. will the component replace the default API in my system? if so, are there any limitaitons?

Foobar will be a BIG step up from VLC. VLC's strength is that it is an all things for everything player. Foobar is a music specific player and it plays music very well, esp. with the WASAPI component enabled.

WASAPI will not mess with the rest of your system. Install/copy-in the .dll without worries!

Foobar will be a BIG step up from VLC. VLC's strength is that it is an all things for everything player. Foobar is a music specific player and it plays music very well, esp. with the WASAPI component enabled.

WASAPI will not mess with the rest of your system. Install/copy-in the .dll without worries!

VLC adds more distortion to output many times.Foobar can give you Bit-perfect sound.Close to original recording.

okay!! installing it asap!! :eek:hyeah:

PS: its gives "Bit-perfect sound, Close to original recording" even on stock onboard audio processors?

In my personal experience, I've noticed that the first thing that get tossed out of window is the imaging.

Agreed completely sir, Mp3 is perhaps the worst format to listen to on a good stereo set, may also be the worst format to listen to overall but can't comment on that.

song name: Gali me aaj Chand Nikla
movie: Zakhm (1998)

song name: Anjali Anjali
movie: Tu Hi Mera Dil

Agreed completely sir, Mp3 is perhaps the worst format to listen to on a good stereo set, may also be the worst format to listen to overall but can't comment on that.

this mp3/flac/cd arguement is probably even more complex than the ancient alien theory:D

finding soundstage on bollywood music would be a little tricky as they are mixed to sound good on primarily on 3 music sources-multimedia speakers,car audio and cellphones

live sets have better soundstage.. electronica has good soundstage as well

and there is nothing wrong with your mp3s as long as they are in 320 or VBR :eek:hyeah:

and there is nothing wrong with your mp3s as long as they are in 320 or VBR :eek:hyeah:

Yes, and to get the 320 you will most likely have to rip from a CD :) At least I have to, that is the only way to get a good quality MP3 to play in my car.

i think flac/CD win hands down in argument with mp3 on SQ.

i prefer mp3@320kbps only on my Sansa Clip because i like to have a huge quantity of music to choose from while on the go.

In other news:

Listened to pparadisomusic: Bowers and Wilkins presents: Very Audiophile New Recordings (2004) today.

started with Allan Taylor - Colour To The Moon, the first track. everything was going all right, started listening.. very nice instruments.. everything was nice and good.

till the vocal started.

then i was like:

mind_blown.gif

Mind = Blown. Literally.

i mean.. just wow!!
i will leave it at this. i dont have words to describe it.

@spirovious: :signthankspin: :signthankspin: :signthankspin:

after a couple of runs, i felt that i could sense the positioning of the instruments and the singer across the speakers. need to listen even more to fine tune the soundstage. :)

PS: bought these banana jacks today...

now as you can see, i have soldered the wire to the contacts. but thats just it. the wire is held to the jack by that solder only. so, in case of any movement, all the stress will be transferred to the solder point. the jacket inner diameter is bigger than the wire dia. so the jacket wont offer any resistance to the wire. any tips to overcome this?

its not that the wires will be moved often, but still, i dont want to keep any loose ends. :D pun intended.

after a couple of runs, i felt that i could sense the positioning of the instruments and the singer across the speakers. need to listen even more to fine tune the soundstage. :)

PS: bought these banana jacks today...

now as you can see, i have soldered the wire to the contacts. but thats just it. the wire is held to the jack by that solder only. so, in case of any movement, all the stress will be transferred to the solder point. the jacket inner diameter is bigger than the wire dia. so the jacket wont offer any resistance to the wire. any tips to overcome this?

its not that the wires will be moved often, but still, i dont want to keep any loose ends. :D pun intended.

I guess it's good old 'Armstrong' banana jack (not bad). Armstrong, Sonya etc were the eco options for decent jacks, sockets, switches etc.

Rather than soldering the side slit opening on the jack, solder the top hole where you insert the wire on to the jack. Better to use 'bevel' soldering tip for this job.

http://imgur.com/8S2jZjJ.

Last edited:
Rather than use a banana jack and degrade SQ, better to solder coat the wire itself to form a "banana" like hard tip. I use 4% silver solder for this and would never spend $$ on a banana plug that degrades SQ.

--G0bble

I guess it's good old 'Armstrong' banana jack (not bad). Armstrong, Sonya etc were the eco options for decent jacks, sockets, switches etc.

Rather than soldering the side slit opening on the jack, solder the top hole where you insert the wire on to the jack. Better to use 'bevel' soldering tip for this job.

imgur: the simple image sharer.

yes it is the good ol' Armstrong, still going strong :D Rs 40 per pair.
gold plated [really?] MX banana plaug were there too, but they cost Rs. 180 per pair. Had to let them go.. :\

i tried that, but due to the lack of a table vice or a similar device to hold the hot banana [ :lol: ] i had to lay it down and solder the side slit.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back