Sonodyne 2605 acquired. Now what?

John

Folks,

It has been a while. I had taken a break from collecting audio gear.

Now I acquired a pair of Sonodyne Sonus 2605 (V2) from someone. This was nothing something I had planned; it happened all of a sudden. I had a Denon 1707 AVR (non HDMI) lying around, so I thought I could make use of it.

Now this is something I want mainly for music (stereo).

Sources:

1) Fiio X3 via Coaxial
2) Oppo DVD player
3) WD HD Live (first version).

I realize the AVR is pretty under-powered for the speakers. So where do I go from here?

I am open to going with a stereo amp/integrated amp/or whatever else :eek:hyeah: - in stages of course. I am looking for used equipment (save money - hard thing to do).

Should I start off with a Norge amp? Or a Sonodyne stereo amp?

Folks,

It has been a while. I had taken a break from collecting audio gear.

Now I acquired a pair of Sonodyne Sonus 2605 (V2) from someone. This was nothing something I had planned; it happened all of a sudden. I had a Denon 1707 AVR (non HDMI) lying around, so I thought I could make use of it.

Now this is something I want mainly for music (stereo).

Sources:

1) Fiio X3 via Coaxial
2) Oppo DVD player
3) WD HD Live (first version).

I realize the AVR is pretty under-powered for the speakers. So where do I go from here?

I am open to going with a stereo amp/integrated amp/or whatever else :eek:hyeah: - in stages of course. I am looking for used equipment (save money - hard thing to do).

Should I start off with a Norge amp? Or a Sonodyne stereo amp?

---------------------------
2605 is 3way speaker system, IMO, Sonodyne's own SIA320 is underpowered. Except norge pre-power combo, other norge int.amps are underpowered. You better try yamaha AS-500; if you use your haggling skill, you will get it at 29K, brand-new, in Kolkata

Nor 1000 is 80W @ 8 ohm.
Son 320 too is 80W @ 8 ohm.
Speakers are 89 dB and 8 ohm.
Adequate power-match IMO for a budget set-up. Well, if you wish to wake your neighbours up at night, then it is different!
Why don't you make a trip to South City Mall and HEAR the full Sono set-up there? Take your music along, to be SURE!

Thanks guys, looks like it is going to be a toss between Norge 1000, Sonodyne 320, Yamaha AS 500. I am also in the lookout for some used Denon stereo amps (as well as other amps), so lets see how things go.

John, I don't think you'll like the Sonodyne amp.

Thanks bud. Let me check it out. Have not auditioned it before. Right now, doing nothing, just window shopping. Looking for some good deals.

Any amp suggestions from your end?

Audition as many as possible. Add Marantz and Nad to your list. The Quad Vena looks interesting. Keep a close watch on the classifieds. DIY is another option?

Give me a call if you are in town. Been quite a while.

Audition as many as possible. Add Marantz and Nad to your list. The Quad Vena looks interesting. Keep a close watch on the classifieds. DIY is another option?

Give me a call if you are in town. Been quite a while.

Thanks, will buzz you when I am in town. Cheers! :D

I do not think you would want Yamaha amp with Sonodyne, I have heard the 2605 and still own the 1501, used the bookshelves for stereo purpose for a good year or so, they are on the brighter side. Yamaha and the 2605 will I think be too bright for proper listening experience. Sonodyne 310 is not recommended, I own the 320, it is alright as an entry level amplifier, not bad, but the 310 is inferior in terms of SQ to the 320 and also will be grossly under-powered to drive the 2605.

Guys, anyone of you tried the homegrown Zypher amps?

Can any of the Topping T-amps work with these speakers? Or is it plain silly? I normally listen at low-to-mid volumes.

Last edited:
If it is low-mid listening levels, then Topping would sail through. But, the set-up might look a bit humorous though. A battleship being pulled by a canoe :lol:

Sonus 2605 shines thru when you pair them with good powerful amplifiers....

I own them for more than 2 years time, paired them with handful of AVR's (Onkyo, Pioneer & Marantz) & Stereo amplifiers (NAD)....Onkyo AVR's pair well with Sonus 2605..

But that said, your Denon 1707 should be able to provide at-least 100W in 2 channels mode which is sufficient... Hope Denon AVR is in Pure direct mode / Direct mode...

Sonus 2605 shines thru when you pair them with good powerful amplifiers....

I own them for more than 2 years time, paired them with handful of AVR's (Onkyo, Pioneer & Marantz) & Stereo amplifiers (NAD)....Onkyo AVR's pair well with Sonus 2605..

But that said, your Denon 1707 should be able to provide at-least 100W in 2 channels mode which is sufficient... Hope Denon AVR is in Pure direct mode / Direct mode...

Thanks elangoas, I have biamped the speakers. Using it in direct mode. But I think the bass is lacking at lower volumes. Wonder if it a speaker issue or an amp issue. I would also really like to know how good it sounds with stereo amps. I will also try it with my Onkyo AVR and see how it sounds, although I have kept that exclusively for my Home theater.

Hey John, another amp which you may also consider is the Harman Kardon HK 3490, its got some market leading features (Dual subwoofer outputs, Dolby Virtual Speaker, XM Radio ready etc) and costs about 36k in Bangalore. I'm not sure on the signature when paired with Sonus 2605 but the amp+jbl studio 290 sounded amazing...

Hope you have set the Fronts as Large in AVR... I think Direct mode will treat the speakers full range.... What is your approx budget for stereo amp?

Hey John, another amp which you may also consider is the Harman Kardon HK 3490, its got some market leading features (Dual subwoofer outputs, Dolby Virtual Speaker, XM Radio ready etc) and costs about 36k in Bangalore. I'm not sure on the signature when paired with Sonus 2605 but the amp+jbl studio 290 sounded amazing...

Prakash, I am looking at two-channels amps as of now. This is exclusively for music listening.

Hope you have set the Fronts as Large in AVR... I think Direct mode will treat the speakers full range.... What is your approx budget for stereo amp?

Thanks elangoas, I have set the front as large. Direct mode, actually to be frank at times I am not able to make out the difference between stereo and direct mode :confused: I am looking for value for money for 15k to 20k which I am ready to spend now, not more. I would particularly be interested in pre-owned amps .

Thanks elangoas, I have set the front as large. Direct mode, actually to be frank at times I am not able to make out the difference between stereo and direct mode :confused: I am looking for value for money for 15k to 20k which I am ready to spend now, not more. I would particularly be interested in pre-owned amps .

Try the Pure Direct Mode if you have that on your AVR... This will yield better results...

Pure Direct is all of the Analog circuitry switched off with no or minimalistic interference.... This function overrides the bass management settings and all speakers will be treated as full range..

Direct mode is similar to Pure Direct with video circuitry on...

Stereo mode is the same with bass management enabled...... Assuming you have set the crossover @ 60Hz, and when played in this mode, the AVR will send info up to 60 Hz to the speaker...

Try pairing with your Onkyo AVR too, if that sounds good, then my suggestion would be to get an old High end Onkyo AVR from your budget.....

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back