Sonodyne DE 4370, 8 Channel power amplifier

Hi All,

Acquired, Sonodyne 8 Channel power amplifier very recently for Rs 54,200/-.

Will keep updating the experience from time to time..

Wow excellent initial impressions. This should become a template for all future Initial Impressions of a product.

Congratulations on the buy. A lot of eye balls would be on this thread for your detailed review. Do consider using rew to get speaker response before and after adding this Poweramp.

MaSh

Sorry, but I meant can we use stereo amps (not power amps) with a receiver having pre-outs? My earlier question wasn't put properly :)

And thanks for the link, I'll look into it.
Yes you can. If the stereo amp has separate pre and power sections, it makes the job easier, if not then a bit of volume matching is required which makes it a bit difficult.

MaSh

I saw the name Punsumi, and first thought they had cheaped out on the main electrolytics - but it seems they're an indian manufacturer - looks decent from their website - any experience with their stuff ?

Yes you can. If the stereo amp has separate pre and power sections, it makes the job easier, if not then a bit of volume matching is required which makes it a bit difficult.

MaSh

Thanks. Then it is better that I look into the Sonodyne or some of the Crown/Emotivas for front channel amplification.

Thanks. Then it is better that I look into the Sonodyne or some of the Crown/Emotivas for front channel amplification.
Yes you can do that or look for a nad. Most nads have separate pre and power sections.

MaSh

Congrats on the Sonodyne. The build looks solid.

I wanted to know if one can use good stereo amps to power the front speakers through pre-outs? Or going with power amplifiers is the only way? FMs to pls enlighten me on this :)

Thanks.. Yes, you can use stereo amp as a power amplifier with AVR, but only if it has Main in and Pre-out connection, which only some amplifiers do.. Otherwise, not possible..

Is this Indian price? If so, can you please share the store details?

25K was online price, amazon.in when i had checked few months back.. It was low at 23K too some time and now prices have gone up..

Sonodyne did have a Home Theater preamp, not sure if it was atmos capable or not but no reason for them to not to produce a newer updated model.

Yes, it has a 7.1 pre-amp, but it isn't Atmos / Dts X capable. Think the pre-map was released 3 ~ 4 yrs back, hope they updated it soon with Atmos / Dts X..

Congratulations on the purchase btw, 50K is an almost unbelievable price for a 8 channel amplifier, hope it sounds good. It may not sound outstanding at that price but should sound quite good.

Thanks.. Yes, 50K is an awesome deal IMO for the product.. It should be a pretty good step-up from the AVR power section..

Wow excellent initial impressions. This should become a template for all future Initial Impressions of a product.

Congratulations on the buy. A lot of eye balls would be on this thread for your detailed review.

Thank you.. Will share experience..

Do consider using rew to get speaker response before and after adding this Poweramp.

I don't think speaker response in REW before & after power-amp will help, because the speaker position and listening position hasn't changed.. Moreover no absorption at all in the room.. So there will be no improvement in speaker response, IMO..

I saw the name Punsumi, and first thought they had cheaped out on the main electrolytics - but it seems they're an indian manufacturer - looks decent from their website - any experience with their stuff ?

I did google for the names and found Punsumi from India.. But the name sounds Japnese to me (or) other asian language..

Noratel toroidal transformer seems to have presence in India..

Thanks.. Yes, you can use stereo amp as a power amplifier with AVR, but only if it has Main in and Pre-out connection, which only some amplifiers do.. Otherwise, not possible..

25K was online price, amazon.in when i had checked few months back.. It was low at 23K too some time and now prices have gone up..
Thanks for the info. Since I'm a newbie to the audio world, I was wondering what is more practical: a dedicated power amp (~200 W into 8 ohms) for just the front channels or a 7 channel power amp with 50 to 80 wpc. Can either be used for stereo and HT alike? Pls share your thoughts.

Just out of curiosity, i popped open the power amp to see the internals.. Noticing the Punsumi capacitor, and some googling around that made me
check what is the capacitance on my AVR, which i popped open the cover.. Denon x 3300 has 24,000 uF ( 2 x 12,000 uF) capacitor..
v3nCq6L.jpg

t6swqXo.jpg

While Sonodyne has 60,000 uF (4 x 15,000 uF) capacitor..
mAm2VaT.jpg

Hoping, it would help the overall listening experience..

I don't think speaker response in REW before & after power-amp will help, because the speaker position and listening position hasn't changed.. Moreover no absorption at all in the room.. So there will be no improvement in speaker response, IMO..

Yes that would be the exciting part whether there is a difference or not of any kind, with everything else unchanged.

MaSh

Thanks for the info. Since I'm a newbie to the audio world, I was wondering what is more practical: a dedicated power amp (~200 W into 8 ohms) for just the front channels or a 7 channel power amp with 50 to 80 wpc. Can either be used for stereo and HT alike? Pls share your thoughts.
You can easily connect a stereo amp to an AVR. I have connected a stereo amp + another Pioneer AVR to my Denon AVR. Just run Audyssey afterwards to take care of the corrections.

You can easily connect a stereo amp to an AVR. I have connected a stereo amp + another Pioneer AVR to my Denon AVR. Just run Audyssey afterwards to take care of the corrections.
Didn't know that AVRs can be stacked! Thanks for the info.

Didn't know that AVRs can be stacked! Thanks for the info.
Only point to note is that once you fix the volume on the secondary amps during Audyssey then dont change the volume on the secondary amps. Instead use the master volume on the main amp. So if 9 o clock was the volume set on secondary amp during Audyssey just stick to 9 o clock after Audyssey is run.

Will wait for your impressions on the Sonodyne, especially in comparison to the Denon's performance. If you notice significant audible improvements then this is an upgrade a lot of us could go for.

Yes that would be the exciting part whether there is a difference or not of any kind, with everything else unchanged.

Ok.. Will do that a little later once i get this up & running..

Will wait for your impressions on the Sonodyne, especially in comparison to the Denon's performance. If you notice significant audible improvements then this is an upgrade a lot of us could go for.

Sure.. Will share impressions.. A good option for users on budget, who can make use of pre-outs for better..

Waiting for electrician to mount a new dedicated plug for this power amplifier.. Should the power draw be from a 16 Amps power socket?.. I read somewhere in Audioholics article that it is better to connect to 16 Amps plug..

Will keep updating the experience from time to time..
Not necessary. Your amp is only 1000 VA, so it will at most consume 5 A since we use 230 V in India. They use 120 V in America, so it would consume approx 10 A of current.
Moreover, with any reasonable set of speakers, your ears will bleed much before you reach 1000 VA of power draw.

Any idea, how good are these amps compared to more professional amps such as those by Crown or Norge or Sonodyne ?

Although they say that all amplifiers are the same, they amplify. I found class D amplifiers to sound a little harsh compared to class A/B amplifiers that most AVRs use. My worst sounding receiver was also my most expensive receiver, an ICEpower (class D) amp driven top of the line Pioneer SC receiver.
But some people liked them. So, make sure that you like class D amps before investing. You may gain power, but you may lose sound "quality".

Any idea, how good are these amps compared to more professional amps such as those by Crown or Norge or Sonodyne ?

I have used class-D stereo amps, but not power amps.. I like the Class-D stereo amps.. This one seems very attractive.. Inclusive of all taxes, a 2 channel amp for 7.5K sounds exciting.. Should be worth a try..

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back