Sonodyne or KEF for HT

rohit_gsr

Greetings!!!!

I have been planning to build an HT in my house. It would be used for 80% movies and 20% music. The room size is 400sqft 20x20. I have an 64 inch Samsung Plasma. I need to pickup an AVR and 5.1 or 7.1 Speakers for the same.

I have been looking at speakers like bose, wharfdale, B&W, Kef and Sonodyne. I liked the KEF and Sonodyne due the clarity and punch it had. I have an limited budget of 2L for the speakers and AVR. I am looking for an speakers and amplifier which can last for minimum 7-10 years without any issues.

I request all the audio gurus to guide me the right speakers and AVR keeping in my with the budget i have. I have very limited knowledge on these kindly guide me.

Rohet

Sonodyne is excellent,recently I have purchased center speaker of sonodyne and it is excellent.I will upgrade my wharefedale Dx1 system with sonodyne speakers only.AVR goto Denon 2100w.

Hi Rohit,

You have a Nice Big room ,and nice Budget too. Hence you could go for a premium HT Speaker set and a AVR.Also keep some funds for cables and acoustic treatment which make fine tune your set-up.

1.Denon,Yamaha,Pioneer ,HK ,Onkyo could be taken for the AVR
2.Polk,Kef,Dali,klipsch,MS HT package Also I would suggest Morel.

Just fix audition in the Chennai,The Below post should be good to refer and check for audition.

http://www.hifivision.com/dealer-feedback-review/55746-hifi-dealers-chennai.html

All the best for your set-up

rohit_gsr,

I was very impressed with Sonodyne at the recent HiFi show in Bangalore.
The website is SONODYNE

Contact them via email and let them give you their suggestions.

Regards.

@Sarith Thanks for the information. I appreciate the concern on the identical thread. I had posted it in the other section hoping for favorable response. But later i discovered this group which is apt for my requirement so had to post the same here. As i am new here hope you understand the reason behind it.

I had a look at KEF R series and the sonodyne avant. I am confused which would be suitable for my requirement as general opinion for KEF is good for music. Sonodyne has an very neutral image. So need guidance on it.

Rohit,

When you are confused between two Brands -Just trust your Ears and go for Audition and decide.Profx chennai has KEF+Yamaha,Pioneer,Onkyo so, Dont wait fix a appointment for this weekend and tick your score card.
Next dive to VIPUL AUDIO TECH who deals with Sonodyne.

Just call them and book for audition.

You could maybe also look at SVS and Velodyne with that budget.

Maybe you could mention the models which you auditioned rather than the Brands to give a better sense of what was appealing?

I had a look at KEF R series and the sonodyne avant. I am confused which would be suitable for my requirement as general opinion for KEF is good for music. Sonodyne has an very neutral image. So need guidance on it.

I use Sonodyne Sonus series & my brother uses Sonodyne Avant (LCR250) series for more than 2 yrs time...

If you have 80% movie pattern, i would suggest you to consider Sonodyne Avant LCR 250 speakers for your room size.... It is a high end satellite speaker system...

Sonodyne sonus 2605 (FS) is quite good and VFM. Their Avant series is good but not to the level of Dali. Since the low frequency of 2605 goes only upto 45 hz, you may wish to add a good subwoofer though. Their subwoofers are good like Roarr 210. If you need even more low freq response, go for SVS, Taga harmony and other brands.

Last edited:
@Sarith Thanks for the information. I appreciate the concern on the identical thread. I had posted it in the other section hoping for favorable response. But later i discovered this group which is apt for my requirement so had to post the same here. As i am new here hope you understand the reason behind it.

You're welcome. I very well understand why you started a second thread. My intention was to let you know that you could ask mods to delete the other thread if you prefer and hence FMs get to post in this particular thread only.

Hay, KEF R series speakers are great speakers, but won't it demand you to at least double your budget?
Kef R100 = Rs.76000 (pair) X 2 = Rs.152000
Kef R200 (single centre) = Rs.62000
Total = Rs.214000 - Rs.21000(10% discount) = Rs.193000

Add a subwoofer (Kef R400) and you have to shell out another 100000
Add a Receiver and you are down by another 80000 in your bank balance at least.
So, the overall cost will come up to around 3.5 Lakhs, even if you choose the cheapest models from the Kef R series.
You can instead think about the Q series, if you really want to restrict within 2 lakh. Otherwise, sky is the limit.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back