SONODYNE RP-3000D Direct Drive Turntable

Jose Mathew

Hey all,

I have a Sonodyne RP-3000D which requires catridges, cant seem to find the right one, Really need help on this and if possible can you let me know the price of it. My dad had stocked up 5 catridges when he bought this LP in 1972. Also I have no idea how to install the catridge. Pls help.

Along with this I have an Akai M-10 Spool Player which needs servicing, cant seem to get the right person in Cochin, Kerala.

I have been given a RP3000D by a person who has moved abroad...He used to use a Dynavector moving coil cartridge... Unfortunately, i didn't get the cartridge with the turntable...shall probably have to get an Ortofon or an Audio-Technica cartridge, available on Amazon...

Hey all,

I have a Sonodyne RP-3000D which requires catridges, cant seem to find the right one, Really need help on this and if possible can you let me know the price of it. My dad had stocked up 5 catridges when he bought this LP in 1972. Also I have no idea how to install the catridge. Pls help.

Along with this I have an Akai M-10 Spool Player which needs servicing, cant seem to get the right person in Cochin, Kerala.
Hi you can find phono cartridge in Amazon.in, if you looking hiend cartridge can find https://theaudio.co.

Hi. As I recall, Sonodyne turntables were fitted with EEI 700 mag carts, not manufactured now. The Uranus series possibly had Audio Technics carts, can't clearly remember. In case you still have the old stock of carts, it is possible that the cantilever suspension may have deteriorated, thus affecting playback. U may like to invest in a low cost cart initially ,and depending on ur liking, reliability of the tt, and musical taste, may then upgrade with a different cart. Cost of a cart is ₹ 2000/- upwards.
Remember fitting and aligning a stylus/ cart is a delicate, painstaking process. It is best left to someone knowledgeable. Do clean ur precious records before play.

Hey, its not as difficult as it seems and if you are located at Kochi, help is around the corner. Most of the Kerala FMs who are active on HFV are also members of a DIY whatsapp group where you will find experts there to help you with your cartridge installation and also with servicing your Akai deck. They are a rare breed who can build and restore stuff beyond one's imagination. So very capable, they really are.

If you want to install the cart by yourself, there are so many youtube videos out there that help out. Installing a cart and calibrating a tonearm is a delicate process but in my opinion, all one really needs is some guidance, the right tools, nimble fingers and a steady hand :). Once you do it, you will find out that is is not that difficult after all :)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back