Sonodyne Sonus 2605 : A detailed review

hello everybody, i have been searching for a good, budget HT set up for my home, after few auditions I have selected Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V3, front satellites, Sonodyne Rear dipole V3, Sonodyne center speaker 2401 V3, Sonodyne subwoofer, Roar 210 along with Denon 1513 AVR, I will like to have sugesstions from the forum members, is this set up good, for the price I am paying for it is Rs 89000, plus the cabling. Will the denon1513 can play these speakers. otherwise i have to buy Paradigm cinema ct 100. Please suggest me at earliest as i have to buy with in this week.

Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But did you get Sonus V2 series?

Yes..I got v2...Looks like there isn't any difference between v2 & v3 except the colour...

I liked the v2.....There was no fresh stock of v2 aval in the Sonodyne office as per the dealer in chennai...So picked it up...

Also the one i got (2605 v2) was used for demo...So got some discount on the price...:eek:hyeah:

hello everybody, i have been searching for a good, budget HT set up for my home, after few auditions I have selected Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V3, front satellites, Sonodyne Rear dipole V3, Sonodyne center speaker 2401 V3, Sonodyne subwoofer, Roar 210 along with Denon 1513 AVR, I will like to have sugesstions from the forum members, is this set up good, for the price I am paying for it is Rs 89000, plus the cabling. Will the denon1513 can play these speakers. otherwise i have to buy Paradigm cinema ct 100. Please suggest me at earliest as i have to buy with in this week.

Sonodyne Sonus range are very good speakers for the money....Consider a receiver which has pre-outs for L & R channels for stereo listening...You will need a stereo power amplifier to get the best out of Sonus 2605....

see if you can get 1912 ( the older ones ) if u r happy with denon sound.. they have more power and as elango says.. look for something with front pre outs..

mpw

Sonodyne Sonus Series Match better with Yamaha 473 or Denon 1912 or 2331.

If you can get Yamaha 667 old model(with Pre Outs)nothing better than that.

Cheers
Babloo

Hi Elango,

Elaborate and unbiased review on the Sonodyne product. I will be purchasing 2605 V3 and SiA 320 Integrated Stereo Amp shortly. In my opinion your review is more accurate and promising than the Sonodyne sales personnel I have interacted with. Thank You! :cheers:

Hi,

I currently have sonus 2605v3.
Can you share your feedback about the surround dipoles from sonodyne. How do you find them?

Hi,

I currently have sonus 2605v3.
Can you share your feedback about the surround dipoles from sonodyne. How do you find them?

Hi Vishug,

I hooked up the Dipole surrounds only yesterday & watched only one file so far....:eek:hyeah:

I will defnetly share my feedback after sometime....

I have installed the audio set up of Sonodyne 5.1 with denon 1513. It sounds good but what i find is the center speaker vocals are not good enough though the side speakers perform very well and Sub 210 is just great. Surrounds only work at a specific time in a movies so I think there was no need to add them as the front speakers play those sounds very well and the rear dipole do n ot justify their purchase instead i should have got the better center speaker. I do not pump the volume as I am not allowed to do that in my home, other members rush if i do that. So I play at low volume mostly. -30 for music and -10 for movies. Which is quite low.

Hi all,

Wanted to share my experience with you after spending a weeks time with Sonodyne Sonus 2605..

Wathching HD broadcast : The sound is broadcasted in Stereo/Dolby digital mode....I chose to listen them in stereo mode...Especially on HD channels, the audio quality of the broadcast is really commendable & almost close to the CD quality....When watching Discovery / National geographic, the sound from the speaker is very large...You can feel the sound of rain, wind, fire.....No exaggertaion here....Other HD music channels UTV HD, d2h HD music and few other channels sound equally good... & movie channels Star Movies HD, Times NOW HD & Zee Movies HD sounded very spacious, open and almost fills the room with ease...More importantly very involving....

When my brother wanted to buy a FS 2 years back, i came to this forum asking for what would be a suitable amplifier for Sonus 2605...Since i was new & there were not enough recommendations for 2605, my brother settled for Mission M35i + NAD C326.

I will NOT miss it an other time...:licklips:

My diamond 9.2's will be on sale soon & i am settling for Sonodyne Sonus 2605 (27K) + Sonus C2401 (6K) + Sonus Rears Dipole (11K).....So approx 45K you get a 5.0 speaker system.....I have also planned for subwoofer later from Sonodyne...Their Studio Monitor Series SLF 200 for around 25K with remote control.......My brother owns the Sonodyne SLF 200 for more than 2 years & i have no second thoughts abt any subwoofer for that price....

if you compare this speaker with other international brands with the same number of drivers; you will really feel the VALUE of money....International brands with the same driver config will cost you anything >50K....Defenetly not less than this....[/QUOTE

I too set up this speaker system along with Denon1513 AVR, and it sounds fabulous. It has changed my movie watching expierence, sounds are so true and real and i love it absolutely, though my AVR is entry level one still it sounds very good. the sub is also very powerful, and gives solid feeling. I am very happy with its performance.

I have installed the audio set up of Sonodyne 5.1 with denon 1513. It sounds good but what i find is the center speaker vocals are not good enough though the side speakers perform very well and Sub 210 is just great. Surrounds only work at a specific time in a movies so I think there was no need to add them as the front speakers play those sounds very well and the rear dipole do n ot justify their purchase instead i should have got the better center speaker. I do not pump the volume as I am not allowed to do that in my home, other members rush if i do that. So I play at low volume mostly. -30 for music and -10 for movies. Which is quite low.

My center channel speaker is brand new...Not even completed break-in...Juz 10 - 15 hrs old.....So i ll reserve my comments until my speaker has completed atleast 100hrs....

My take on the center channel is that Sonodyne should have used the same midrange used on the 2605 and also the same crossover...It would have been a superb center channel speaker.....they can call it Sonus C2501..:eek:hyeah:

I too set up this speaker system along with Denon1513 AVR, and it sounds fabulous. It has changed my movie watching expierence, sounds are so true and real and i love it absolutely, though my AVR is entry level one still it sounds very good. the sub is also very powerful, and gives solid feeling. I am very happy with its performance.

Yes....Same here.....I have watched around 2 ~ 3 movies so far....More movies to watch during the next weekend.....

I listened to the speaker at the South City Mall, Kolkata. Next to KFC, which is a very noisy place, it is really not a place to audition. Nevertheless here are my impressions :

The build quality and finish is really top class. Would score very high on WAF.

The speakers were paired with cambridge audio cd player and sonodyne sa320 stereo amplifier.
Listened the following songs - Saathiya - Chalka chalka re
Phil Collins - Another day in paradise
Kenny Rogers - Lucille
Colonial Cousins - Indian Rain
Call of the Valley - Bhoop

Because of the constant noise, it was bit irritating. Nevertheless, my first impressions was that the bass and the upper range - speakers do a very good job. The mid-range was where I found the system to be lacking in depth and details.

But overall it is a great product for the price and I feel if paired with a better amplification, it will do a great job.

Manoj

ps. I recently picked up the old sonodyne sx909 3 way speaker in a garage sale along with the amplifier for a throw-way price and it will be very difficult for any system to beat its sound quality.

My center channel speaker is brand new...Not even completed break-in...Juz 10 - 15 hrs old.....So i ll reserve my comments until my speaker has completed atleast 100hrs....

My take on the center channel is that Sonodyne should have used the same midrange used on the 2605 and also the same crossover...It would have been a superb center channel speaker.....they can call it Sonus C2501..:eek:hyeah:

Yes....Same here.....I have watched around 2 ~ 3 movies so far....More movies to watch during the next weekend.....

I have watched some movies, and sounds great in movie mode, How much time does it need to break in this speaker system, will the sound quality improve appreciably after the break in. does the quality of HDMI cable affect the music or visuals, i am driving it by HDMI cable purchased from the market costing me rs 400.

I have watched some movies, and sounds great in movie mode, How much time does it need to break in this speaker system, will the sound quality improve appreciably after the break in. does the quality of HDMI cable affect the music or visuals, i am driving it by HDMI cable purchased from the market costing me rs 400.

I am not very sure abt the break in period...But yes sound improves over time...

Don't worry abt the HDMI cables....Just make sure they are shielded cables... Which brand do you have ?

Hi elangoas,

I am just a newbee here looking to setup a good music system. Appreciate the way you have written this review and will surely help folks like me into zeroing down upon one :)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back