Sonodyne Sonus 3450 or Polk Audio OWM3?

Tanay

Hi everyone,

I am considering these two speakers for my 4 height channels. The idea is to suspend a pair from the ceiling (concrete, can't drill holes) and another pair either further ahead in the ceiling (TM/TF or TR/TF) or high up on the front wall (TM/FH).

Another thought is to go with proper in-ceiling speakers like the Polk RC60i, enclose them in a back box and then suspend them from the ceiling.

For context, my setup consists of Q Acoustics 3020i, 3090ci and 3010i, and the subwoofer is Q Acoustics QB12. And I plan to buy either a Denon X3700H or Marantz SR6015.

Any thoughts on:

1. Which height speakers I should go for?
2. Which assignment might sound better if one pair of height speakers are directly above me and none behind me- TM/FH, TM/TF or TR/TF?
3. Which of the two receivers would be better? My usage is mainly movies (advantage Denon?) but I also don't want a receiver bright enough to fatigue me in my 15x10 room (advantage Marantz?).

Thanks in anticipation!

Last edited:
Both 3700 and 6015 should be good for movies. Get the one which costs less. Marantz has better built quality and use few better components in the circuitry.For speakers placement refer Dolby guide lines. I already have a 5.1.2 set up and using svs elevations in top middle position. I was also researching for few months on polk owm3, and sonus as I am going to expand to 4 height channels. Finally decided to get a box enclosure made and buy 8 inch monoprice ceiling speakers. You can try the q acoustics in ceiling speakers for a matching set up.

Any thoughts on the Sonodyne Sonus 3540 vs. Polk OWM3 debate, gentlemen?
Hi Tanay. I have used SONODYNE Sonus 3540 2-3 years back. They are very good for Atmos height speaker if you mount them on wall. But due to space constraint I could not install them on wall and used them as Celling firing speaker. Which was not so great. Hence sold it to a forum member.

Hi Tanay. I have used SONODYNE Sonus 3540 2-3 years back. They are very good for Atmos height speaker if you mount them on wall. But due to space constraint I could not install them on wall and used them as Celling firing speaker. Which was not so great. Hence sold it to a forum member.
Thank you. This is reassuring. I'm leaning towards the Sonus over OWM3 because they are angled by default, come with a mounting bracket and is less expensive.

But if they don't sound that great if installed on the ceiling, would you recommend mounting them high on the front wall as Front Heights (FH) and mounting in-ceiling speakers like the Polk RC60i, enclosed in a wooden back box, as Top Middles (TM)?

Or is it recommended that both pairs of height speakers are the same?

Can you provide me dealer name and number.
I got it from Qubix Technologies, Museum road Bangalore. Just after Stanley and Maruti Nexa showroom. But don't know if they are still dealing Sonodyne or not. Hence I would suggest you to connect with Mr. Prasonjeet - 88200 99955 and get the updated dealer information in south region

Thank you. This is reassuring. I'm leaning towards the Sonus over OWM3 because they are angled by default, come with a mounting bracket and is less expensive.

But if they don't sound that great if installed on the ceiling, would you recommend mounting them high on the front wall as Front Heights (FH) and mounting in-ceiling speakers like the Polk RC60i, enclosed in a wooden back box, as Top Middles (TM)?

Or is it recommended that both pairs of height speakers are the same?
This speakers is TMOS Height speaker which needs to be installed on wall, i.e. either on front or rear wall. This is not suitable for installing on ceiling. As I was staying in a rented house, I did not have much privilege, feasibility and space to install them on the wall. Hence I kept them on my Tower speakers facing towards ceiling allowing them to fire towards the ceiling which turned out to be not so effective. But if you have the feasibility to install them on Front or rear wall as a height speaker then they don't disappoint you. These are 2 way ATMOS Height speakers enclosed in wooden cabinet.:)

For further feedback on Sonus 3540, I would request you all to please connect with @ sriram_shol in our Hifivision forum. In 2018 I have sold these speakers to them as I was unable to make use of it
Yes, I'm in touch with Sriram :)

Looking at the Polk OWM3 very closely now. Stock availability is better than the the Sonus 3540.

Yes, I'm in touch with Sriram :)

Looking at the Polk OWM3 very closely now. Stock availability is better than the the Sonus 3540.
So what Sriram said. Even I am curious to know in which aspect Polk OWM3 is better than Sonus 3540

I have heard the Polk OWM 3 & 5.. They both sound terribly tinny.. As do any of the other External all-weather speakers..
I would avoid them even if they are being used only for Atmos.

Sonodynes have a MUCH nicer "hi-fi" sound...

I used Sonus 3540 with my Yamaha 581 AVR (without preout). Being low sensitive speaker (85dB), it needs more power to drive them. It's my personal experience and opinion.

I used it for a year and sold it to another hfv member who is my friend.

I got an offer from a friend for pre owned svs prime satellite (2 pairs) for 5.1.4 setup. Hence sold the 3540 off.

3540 are very good but will perform well when given the right power.

Last edited:
I used Sonus 3540 with my Yamaha 581 AVR (without preout). Being low sensitive speaker (85dB), it needs more power to drive them. It's my personal experience and opinion.

I used it for a year and sold it to another hfv member who is my friend.

I got an offer from a friend for pre owned svs prime satellite (2 pairs) for 5.1.4 setup. Hence sold the 3540 off.

3540 are very good but will perform well when given the right power.
Thanks Sriram for your honest feedback

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back