Sonodyne

srinisundar

Looking for going into active monitors for my office setup to de-congest my present one.

Need price point for Sonodyne SM100AK or SM50AK or any other suggestion for other brands.

Regards

Last edited:
SM100K - 70650/- pair

SM50Ak - 54000/- pair

both from sonodyne & including 12.5% tax

Also look at KRK Rokit Series

I think Rokit 5 is for 45k, not sure.

Looking for going into active monitors for my office setup to de-congest my present one.

Need price point for Sonodyne SM100AK or SM50AK or any other suggestion for other brands.

Regards

Go the DIY way, get some good drivers, amp modules and active xo, put them in sealed box and let them rock....

This way cost also would be cheaper..and better bass roll off.

There are some German online stores who sell amp xo kits for less than 200euro,

Oak

SM100K - 70650/- pair

SM50Ak - 54000/- pair

both from sonodyne & including 12.5% tax

Also look at KRK Rokit Series

I think Rokit 5 is for 45k, not sure.

I have auditioned both of them,

Sonodyne outclass the krk rokit series.

Though sonodyne has increased the prices, they are good stuff.

Oak

Good info already out there. I want to add on the top of that that the bass output of the larger unit is a lot more than the small one. Get the unit with the larger cone, if your listening area demands it or with smaller cone if your space can't handle it.

Essentially, pick the right model according to the size and acoustics of your cube/room.

Go the DIY way, get some good drivers, amp modules and active xo, put them in sealed box and let them rock....

This way cost also would be cheaper..and better bass roll off.

There are some German online stores who sell amp xo kits for less than 200euro,

Oak

Oak,

Can you post some links or name the online stores ?

Also these active speakers are nearfield monitors, can we use them for normal stereo listening in large rooms? I thought there were meant for typical studio type setups.

Good info already out there. I want to add on the top of that that the bass output of the larger unit is a lot more than the small one. Get the unit with the larger cone, if your listening area demands it or with smaller cone if your space can't handle it.

Essentially, pick the right model according to the size and acoustics of your cube/room.

Thanks for your information.

But my listening position is less than 6 feet. Hence looking for smaller ones.

Regards

Oak,

Can you post some links or name the online stores ?

Also these active speakers are nearfield monitors, can we use them for normal stereo listening in large rooms? I thought there were meant for typical studio type setups.

Should be fine for any room 15x15ft and smaller.

Off course why not, by All means they are active, near field monitors are yet an another name for actives.

The efficiency of actives are far better than that of passive's

Oak

^ for my future reference...so why not actives are a populer choice in home audio....
thanks
sorry for little off topic

Good question,

People have carried on for ages passive's because they are made and consumers still buy them which keeps manufacturers alive with huge profits on less turnover.

Today's world to produce amp power is cheap, and is easily affordable to have modules independently for each driver.

People are slowly educating themselves off active topology,

Passive's are ageing will kick the bucket.

Oak

^ for my future reference...so why not actives are a populer choice in home audio....
thanks
sorry for little off topic

Passives exist because people want variety. They don't want to be stuck to one sound, know what I mean?

For example I know I'd hate to be stuck to class ab amps in actives. I'd want to experiment with tubes, I'd want class A, I'd want SET, I'd want to experiment with class D. I'd want to hear a different implementation of class AB.

It's the same reason why power and pres exist seperately and not run over by integrated.

Active monitor bookshelves are just less headache, you go with a decent sounding pair and don't look back. It's for those people who dont want to concern themselves with what they're missing or how they can improve the sound. They just want something decent without worrying about cables, amplifiers, dacs etc and it fits the bill.

"passives are ageing and will kick the bucket"

Not true. There are thousands of studios which use high end passives.

Off course why not, by All means they are active, near field monitors are yet an another name for actives.

Not true. Near field refers to a set of characteristics of the speakers adhere to. Not it's power source. There are many many near field monitors which are passive. And similarly many actives which are not near field.

Efficiency in what way exactly? Sensitivity? impedance drops? An active is nothing but a passive woofer connected to an amplifier within the speaker. Stating efficiency of actives are better than passives is nothing but generalization.

And just on another note, more efficiency (Sensitivity) if that's what you meant, means shorter voice coils, shorter voice coils means less excursion, less excursion means poor SPL. And as the cones get smaller and smaller unless it has good excursion it's going to lack severely in lower frequencies. But that does not mean you give it very high excursion either, the longer the voice coil the more calculations have to be done and sensitivity is sacrified. The smaller the enclosure the more air it will need to push to simulate lows. People need to audition and hear which type they like. Bookshelf monitors lean more towards towards 90db and lower to have longer voice coils for smaller woofers to displace enough air to simulate what a larger cone travelling shorter distance does. , studio active monitor bookshelf sensitivities vary as much as passive bookshelves.

High sensitivity speakers are augmented with back loaded or transmission lines to compensate for lack of excursion, as a result to get proper bass out of them their enclosures become huge and these large enclosures with rear loaded horns / transmission lines indirectly increase efficiency.

No such thing as "efficiency of actives are far better than that of passive's" and even if it were true the sound would suck. Look at harbeths implementaion of certain BBC broadcasting monitors, some of them are 83db sensitivity, that's more than twice as less efficient.

Last edited:
:D suggest/pray your Jamos to be paired to a multi-changeover switch connected to an A Class, an AB, a D, a T Class, pure tube amps ... and your current source. Bet, no one would have ever owned such ..... :);)

:D suggest/pray your Jamos to be paired to a multi-changeover switch connected to an A Class, an AB, a D, a T Class, pure tube amps ... and your current source. Bet, no one would have ever owned such ..... :);)

I wish :eek:hyeah: I am most curious to hear what a high end class D implantation sounds like.

I am the one who has extensively used actives like dynaudio bm5a, adam a7, focal cms50 , genelec 8030 , Neumann kh110, as well as Sonodyne actives 50 and sm 100. I have also been having passive gears at different point of times.
To me it is not easier to generalise superiority of a passive system with active ones or vice versa. Both systems have their own strength and weaknesses. Cheap actives are no match to simple low cost passive system of Nad 315bee and psb alpha . One has to actually have very costly actives like ATC , Focal , Klein Hummel etc which are really good and give you experience of live music. After having tried actives I kept on coming back to my passive K&H 110 speakers and Bryston 3bsst .
Coming to Sonodyne SM100 , they are really good value and sound balanced . They can be had for app 54 k plus 12.5% tax .

@corElement

Man you have enlightened me with passive topology, just because you wrote something will not make passive's sound better than actives,

Single crossover, amp for 3 drivers V/S one crossover for each amp, driver..run a poll.

Well if you want to argue, saying passive's are best then I am not in the race, you win..you stick to your belief, I will to my vision.

Oak

@corElement

Man you have enlightened me with passive topology, just because you wrote something will not make passive's sound better than actives,

Single crossover, amp for 3 drivers V/S one crossover for each amp, driver..run a poll.

Well if you want to argue, saying passive's are best then I am not in the race, you win..you stick to your belief, I will to my vision.

Oak

Excuse me?

Nowhere in my reply did I state one is better than the other. I pointed out where your blanket statements are wrong by giving examples of otherwise and an explanation of why not all actives are efficient. Please, don't put words in my mouth like "I'm trying to argue passive's are best"

Never in my life, will I ever use the word "best" to blanket state something without going into the variables and dynamics of the topic, ever.

Last edited:
I am the one who has extensively used actives like dynaudio bm5a, adam a7, focal cms50 , genelec 8030 , Neumann kh110, as well as Sonodyne actives 50 and sm 100. I have also been having passive gears at different point of times.
To me it is not easier to generalise superiority of a passive system with active ones or vice versa. Both systems have their own strength and weaknesses. Cheap actives are no match to simple low cost passive system of Nad 315bee and psb alpha . One has to actually have very costly actives like ATC , Focal , Klein Hummel etc which are really good and give you experience of live music. After having tried actives I kept on coming back to my passive K&H 110 speakers and Bryston 3bsst .
Coming to Sonodyne SM100 , they are really good value and sound balanced . They can be had for app 54 k plus 12.5% tax .

May I know where you live Binoy? I am searching for people using actives and havent found many.

Some thoughts

Passives exist because people want variety. They don't want to be stuck to one sound, know what I mean?

For example I know I'd hate to be stuck to class ab amps in actives. I'd want to experiment with tubes, I'd want class A, I'd want SET, I'd want to experiment with class D. I'd want to hear a different implementation of class AB.

What about the systems having active setup involving different amps for Highs, Mids, lows & Subs but no passive X-over but an active X-over as separate unit. ???????

This kind of active setup has much more options for variety of tastes to fulfill, much more than the passives could even offer.:D

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back