Sonodyne

Re: Some thoughts

What about the systems having active setup involving different amps for Highs, Mids, lows & Subs but no passive X-over but an active X-over as separate unit. ???????

This kind of active setup has much more options for variety of tastes to fulfill, much more than the passives could even offer.:D

Are you talking about active near field monitors or a component system?

Because the variety you're talking about is the exact variety I'm talking about when you have a passive speaker and the option to take down the crossover and hook up individual amplifiers.

You can use Class A tube's to drive the tweeters while you can use a class A/B or D to drive the woofer.

This is something you cannot do in near field active monitors without taking them apart. Which is why everyone doesn't run for active near field monitors. Hence my reply to Oakley's blanket statements.

Active near field monitors are a practical no nonsense solution when one doesn't want to try out and match different sounds. But as soon as one want's variety, it's a waste of money to buy active, only to disconnect it's internals and hook up external amps to get that variety.

We are on the same page if you're talking about component systems Kanwar.

Last edited:
Sorry, but just to learn what are active monitors? how are they different than normal speakers.

Regards

The term active gets added when the amplifier is built into the speaker. In some cases, the amplifier is only present in one of the speakers and the amp drives both the speakers. In other cases (usually studio monitors), each speaker has its own amplifier. As you can imagine, this makes for a very simple audio system setup - all you need is an audio source (CD player or iPod dock or something else) and a pair of active speakers.

Audioengine makes some entry level active speakers for home use, and there are other companies that are more high-end like Genelec.

There are many others like KRK Rokit, Behringer, DynAudio, Adam, etc that make active monitor speakers that are specifically built for studio use and not home use. There is nothing that prevents you from using studio monitors for home use, and some people do as well, but people say that the sound is dry and clinical and neutral and hence not preferred by most. However, they usually offer extremely good value for money - speakers for home use with the same specification, build quality, and features will often be 3-5 times the cost, or will often not even have those features (like separate amps, ability to adjust crossover settings, bass level according to room etc.).

Most other speakers are passive, in the sense that they require an external amplifier to drive them. When not specified, you can generally assume that a speaker will be passive.

Edit: Some people make a distinction between active and powered speakers. If I remember correctly, the distinction in that case is made between an active crossover that is built-in to the speaker, and an amplifier being built-in to the speaker. I'm not 100% sure on this though.

Last edited:
Sorry, but just to learn what are active monitors? how are they different than normal speakers.

Regards

pha.png

You can read more about it in the below link
http://www.hifivision.com/active-sp...-description-passive-v-s-active-speakers.html

Edit: Some people make a distinction between active and powered speakers. If I remember correctly, the distinction in that case is made between an active crossover that is built-in to the speaker, and an amplifier being built-in to the speaker. I'm not 100% sure on this though.

Passive speakers using a passive crossover driven by a single amplifier channel built into the speaker cabinet as indicated in the first example in the above diagram are usually refered to as powered speakers. They do not have any active crossovers and are not bi-amped or tri-amped

Last edited:
I was trying to find out some information about the SM200AK for a friend who needs to use it as a stereo set in a 500 sq. ft. space. His budget is about 60-65k so these fit the bill with the 26% discount offer going on currently.
They seem like incredible VFM,
But i was not able to find too much info on the net. Has anyone heard them? Are they good for simple music listening purposes or hosting a small party ?

Also any ideas about the quality of Sonodyne active monitors, i did read some reports about faulty parts but cant really comment.

i am trying to find out some information before i recommend these to him.

If anyone has any other suggestions for an Active pair of speakers around the same price range please shoot.
Thanks

Sorry! 26% discount is for Home Audio segment only.Not for Studio series.They sell at MRP as per Sonodyne listening room, Mani square mall, Kolkata.

Oh thanks for the info. I thought the discount was universal.
Well then i believe SM200 will be in the range of about 75k with the usual discounts.

but still has anyone heard it? Any feedback on it?

Well, Sonodyne speakers have had some very good reviews the world over. They are said to compete against quality speakers like the Neumann KH 120. That says something about the price band they are in. As always nothing like actually hearing them. Hope somebody hears them soon and posts feedback

Definitely SONUS is much better.A balanced speaker series.

I have had the pleasure of listening to Sonodyne Avant Range of speakers for close to a months time... Particularly Avant LCR 250.....Brilliant speaker, can retrieve many details and absolutely stunning clarity :clapping:

Well, Sonodyne speakers have had some very good reviews the world over. They are said to compete against quality speakers like the Neumann KH 120. That says something about the price band they are in. As always nothing like actually hearing them. Hope somebody hears them soon and posts feedback

You must be kidding! The George Neumann GmbH KH120 studio loudspeaker monitor is the newest & best Klein+Hummel product to hit the market and is perhaps closer to the league of Genelec rather than Sonodyne. Sonodyne has been trying to improve their studio loudspeaker monitor product range with the SM200AK sporting a waveguide copied from a famous international brand, but the SM300 is a poor attempt to copy the old Klein+Hummel O 300 which reflects poorly on what Sonodyne is upto these days.

8inch driver based speakers can easily be designed for great performance as 2way systems as the 8inch driver beaming frequency is only 2015Hz, so with a crossover frequency of about 1.8kHz, an 8inch driver can work fine in a 2way system. Only if one wants improved directivity in midrange, then the benefit of adding a midrange driver in a waveguide makes sense. But this 8inch driver based SM300 has its midrange driver sitting flat on the baffle without any waveguide, thus providing no benefit at all, but only adding more complications to get one extra driver to align and integrate with the other two so that all three work together seamlessly in tandem. And one more amplifier and one more crossover channel increasing costs un-necessarily. Its really hard to figure out what they are upto!

By attempting to copy George Neumann GmbH (nee Klein+Hummel) products, does not make Sonodyne comparable to Neumann.

Are there any chances of discount during the Durga Puja (October) in Calcutta just like the Republic Day 26% discount?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back