Sony 40/42" Tv from Bangkok

I understand your point. Another reason behind my query is whether the service centre guy is correct or not in saying that. Some times it is very difficult to believe them ... So even if it is true, I am curious to know the rationale in having different panels for different regions. Is that applicable only for Sony or for other brands as well ? Confirmation on this can also help people in taking an informed decision in importing TVs from other regions.
In these days of globalization, cost cutting, outsourced manufacturing, lean practices using Kanban, JIT (Just-in-time) Inventory, etc., it is difficult to believe that panels will be different for different countries. It is simply not economical to do so unless some local technology and official mandate governs the decision.

So, regardless whether Sony India imports from Thailand/Malayasia or manufacturers locally, the panel should be the same.

I may meet that guy who bought samsung from Bangkok in future, may be this week or next month beginning. i will try to get more information from him.

As of now i am not in position to comment further.

Regards, Amit

hmm... I agree few of the service centre guys are not well informed.
I also agree that it may not be worth changing the panels due to the cost involved.

When you gave the Samsung example, was Samsung not ready to provide the regular free warranty support (International warranty as k2max6 mentioned) for the imported TV ? - or - was it not able to provide the support due to some technical reasons like mis-match of the panels/components belonging to different regions ?

So it again gets me back to the same question of NILL support for all imported TVs (though this question is not relevant when most of the people would go for a new TV rather than going for a panel replacement). There may be some cases where few users would have got support for their imported TVs. Any way I see some confusion on what support one would get for an imported TV. What I meant by support is replacing parts even if there is some some cost attached to it.

I think it would be better to raise a new thread which talks about some of the confusions related to the support for imported TVs and that will help people in getting prepared for buying imported TV sets. Any thoughts/suggestions ?

I have raised this question before in some other thread and since I didn't receive any answer, I am posting it here again.

I understand there is no local warranty in India for TVs purchased in Bangkok.
Irrespective of availing the warranty in India, can we even get a replacement panel in India even if one is ready to bear the cost of replacing the panel ? The reason for asking this question is that one of my friends bought Sony EX-520 from Bangkok in 2011 and his panel developed vertical and horizontal lines in 2012. When the Sony service centre guy inspected the panel, he said that the panel could not be replaced as the panel on that imported EX-520 was different from the EX-520 panels available in India. So my friend had no way other than going for a new TV. So my question is - Do the Sony panels belonging to the same model number vary between different regions ?

Sony used two different types of panels for the same model in some of their 2011 models, so I think the technician is correct. There was a performance difference between the two panels, so people were able to see the difference in picture quality between two sets of the same model which used different panels. So when their 2012 models were launched they said that they will not use two different panels for the same model. I am not sure if they kept their word, its better to cross check with Sony Thiland and Sony India and find if the TV your interested in uses the same panel in both the markets.

Sony used two different types of panels for the same model in some of their 2011 models, so I think the technician is correct. There was a performance difference between the two panels, so people were able to see the difference in picture quality between two sets of the same model which used different panels. So when their 2012 models were launched they said that they will not use two different panels for the same model. I am not sure if they kept their word, its better to cross check with Sony Thiland and Sony India and find if the TV your interested in uses the same panel in both the markets.

Thanks for sharing the info.

hmm... only thing is it's really confusing when companies go for panel lottery.

Thanks for sharing the info.

hmm... only thing is it's really confusing when companies go for panel lottery.

People who know about the panel switching are also confused like you when they go in for a TV from a manufacturer who does "panel lottery". :D

But I really wouldn't worry if I were to import a Sony TV from Thailand. As some one said earlier it does not make sense to replace a panel, that too a Sony who I think charges higher service charges for imported products.

The EX520 irrespective of whether it was bought in thailand or india uses the same panel.Sony India officially imports these tvs from thailand or malyasia.

It is possible that a factory in Thailand might have used two different panels for the same model. Most of these factories just import the panels from suppliers in Korea, China, Taiwan and Japan, so there is good chance that they could have got supplies from two different companies for the same model. Sony actually sold TVs with two different panels for the same model in the same market, so the even in the Thailand market they might have sold models with two different panels :eek:

In these days of globalization, cost cutting, outsourced manufacturing, lean practices using Kanban, JIT (Just-in-time) Inventory, etc., it is difficult to believe that panels will be different for different countries. It is simply not economical to do so unless some local technology and official mandate governs the decision.

So, regardless whether Sony India imports from Thailand/Malayasia or manufacturers locally, the panel should be the same.

Logically any one would think the way you do but it makes sense for companies who use different panels for the same model.

The flat panel suppliers market is a very competitive market as these companies always come up with new models made with newer technology and lower price every few months. So most of major brands do not go in for long term contracts with these suppliers as they can switch to a newer better performing panel or a lower priced panel.

Some Brands feel safer when they use two panel suppliers for a model as they feel it would offset the risk of under supply or non delivery of supplies from a panel supplier due to some reason.

Last Month I bought 3 TV's Sony 40" EX650, Samsung 6220 and 5600. I got Sony for 20,200 , Samsung 6220 for 22,900 and 5600 for 18,900.

Sony Ex650 model is in more demand and out of stock in almost all shops. I bought it from small shops near to Indra Mall or oppssite road to Pantip Plaza.

Some usefull tip that can save your money,

1. Have all the amount in THB since they will put 3% additional fee for card payement.
2. Please Please don't go to buy TV at the last minute, the prices will be very high. The seller will make money of you urgency.
3. Make the deal only if the TV is available in the shop, dont hear when they say the stock is in Godown and will be transported.
4. There are many small shops in that area so step out if you dont find the deal.
5. Ask whether they have VAT refund form handy, dont deal with the shops that says we need to get a officer sign out and will give you. I have personal experience of waiting for the VAT refund form for 4 hours and urging to catch my flight by exactly 1 hr before.
6. The TV will weight around 20 Kgs so make a booking in ticket as such.
7. Finally to Customs, If you have TV less than 40" then you can come in green line and some times some security person will stop, note they are not customs checkers. They will threaten you to give money. Be polite and say every thing is checked for price and it comes under the value of allowance.

Thanks good I was caught by one of the higher official and checked for price and he says ok and clear. But at exit the Customs security person stop and ask for Money saying the reason not allowed. Then i pointed to the officer and said it was checked by him. After that they have not talked nothing letting me out.

I hope this info will help you. I find all the TV are still cheap over there comparing the currency price of 1.9.

I bought last month Sony 40 " EX650 for 20200 including VAT. From small shop opposite to Pantip Plaza or back side of Indra mall.

Ground rule.

1. Take money in cash else you will be position to pay extra 3 % for card payement.
2. Don't buy TV when you are about to go for Airport, Buy the TV when you have free atleast 1 day prior to you departure.
3. Last minute buy cant end up in bargain even they make money lot.
4. There are many shops so step out if you are not satisfied withthe deal.
5. Buy from the shop which have stock in the shop dont go for TV in Goduwns.
6. Ask VAT is available in hand or need to take from some other place. Only accpet if VAT form is available in shop itself. they make me 4 hrs to give the VAT form and I reach airport exact 1 hr before departure.
7. Finally for Customs. Bring <= 40" and price around 35K. The Security at customs will threaten and make money from you. Dont afraid and say all is checked.. :D. When i bring i was cross checked by the Customs higher official and said clear. but security at exit threaten me it is not uder price and ask for money. And later point the higher official and said they checked my invoice he let me go...

Panthip Plaza is also giving good deal they offered for 21500 ThB the same model.

Thanks Nishanth for clarification.

Then I have another question from the details that you have put. I understand if brands like Sony, Apple, etc go for panel switching for the reasons you stated. but then why does Samsung go for panel switching when they have their own panel production factories ? What I read in some other forum is that Samsung does not produce LCD panels for screen size less than 40 inches and so they employ panel switching for 32 inch panels (since the get those panels from outside). At the same time, I hear Samsung using panel switching even for panels of size 40 inches and above.

Thanks Nishanth for clarification.

Then I have another question from the details that you have put. I understand if brands like Sony, Apple, etc go for panel switching for the reasons you stated. but then why does Samsung go for panel switching when they have their own panel production factories ? What I read in some other forum is that Samsung does not produce LCD panels for screen size less than 40 inches and so they employ panel switching for 32 inch panels (since the get those panels from outside). At the same time, I hear Samsung using panel switching even for panels of size 40 inches and above.

Your right about Samsung's panel switching and they do it for models over 40 inch too. They do it because Samsung's display division does not have enough production capacity to supply their TV business, so they also source panels from other manufactures. If they want they can or could have built enough capacity to supply their TV business but they chose not to. There are two main reasons why Samsung did not expand LCD production in a big way, One is that during the early days of LCD boom, most manufactures in Japan and Korea built excess capacity in anticipation of higer LCD panel sales. But this did not happen, the market witnessed a slump and coupled with the entry of panel manufactures from China and Taiwan the prices of flat panels fell to a point where companies were making losses. Samsung's display panel business also made losses in 2011 and for the first half of 2012. So large brands like Sony, Panasonic and Samsung either closed down their plants or cut down their production.

The second reason is that Samsung right from 2007 is betting big on OLED panels and believes that OLED TVs will overtake LCD. So they are limiting their investments in building new capacity for LCD panel production and they are instead investing in OLED research and production. They already have a market share of 90% in the small size OLED display market and are hoping to replicate the success in the OLED TV business too.

Sony uses only 1 type of panel in 40 and 46" EX520 and thats a SPVA ,they don't use any other type of panel.

Now the panels can be made in china ,or S.Korea but they are still the same basic panel.

Sony no longer makes or buy any panels in Japan that was long ago with Sharp not anymore.

I bought last month Sony 40 " EX650 for 20200 including VAT. From small shop opposite to Pantip Plaza or back side of Indra mall.

Panthip Plaza is also giving good deal they offered for 21500 ThB the same model.

Thanks for the heads up.

But 40EX650 at 20200 THB comes to almost 39k INR. The same model is available for 40k at Gaffaar Market,Delhi. IMO it would be better to buy it here rather than having the hassles of getting it from Bangkok.No transport risk as well.
I recently checked and 32" 4 Series Samsung is available for 18k and 40" 40EH5000R for 32k. Add 3k for equivalent sony.

It seems the price difference in Bankgok and the Indian grey markets has almost vanished.

It would have been great if it was 20,200 INR :D

Samsung uses so many panels because there tv sales are quite high compared to other brands from 2005 to 2012 they had to give roughly 50% of the panels to Sony as part of the S-lcd joint venture.
But now that the partnership is withdrawn and Sony starting to use LG IPS panels in 2013 and AU AMVA panels in their W9 and R4 2013 lcd/led ,samsung could very well start using their own panels more consistently.

Samsung does produce panels of 32" and the panel lottery is more apparent in 32" because its sells much much more since thats the crt equivalent of 21".

the 40" sells lesser then 32" but the demand is still very high and hence samsung still uses panels froms other manufacturers.Its only in 46" size do we mostly see samsung panels since the demand is lower but it to will face a similar situation when the demand increases.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back