Sony 40/42" Tv from Bangkok

gjhanwar

Hi Everyone,

One of my friend is visiting Bangkok in the next week, I have read many threads which speaks of getting the Television from Bangkok is cheaper. I would like to know:
1. Any site / link which can provide the latest price of LED/ LCD TV in Bangkok
2. I am thinking of buying Sony KDL-40EX650 any other suggestion around this of any other make / model.
3.Some blog do say that International warranty is not applicable in India for TV's bought from Bangkok, is it true, is there any way I can get the warranty applicable in India as well.
4. Currently customs is charged for items more than Rs 35000, is there any restriction on size as well, I mean if the TV cost is less than 35K but size is 42, will the customs be still charged.

Thanks in advance.

Gaurav

www.sinsiamelectronics.com

There is no restriction in size but anything around 46" size and above would definitely attract the customs ,if you have the invoice and if its less then 35k irrespective of the size there will be no duties.
AFAIK there is no warranty in india.

Err the prices on this website seem almost the same as India & defiantly costlier than the grey market price in India...

You can't get best rates on the net but your friend should visit Pratunam area where a number of shops (close to Indra hotel) offer best rates which fluctuate almost on daily basis.

The best thing would be that he should do homework about which model he wish to buy and then land up there. Some 5 percent negotiations are possible with these shops, mostly owned by Punjabis. If the model is not available with them, they could also deliver at hotel.

He should take 2 copies of invoice for reclaiming VAT at the airport.

The warranty varies from company to company. I am told that Samsung provides warranty in India for sets bought in BKK/Singapore but this needs to be checked by calling samsung CC centre.

Customs people may ask him to pay duty if the model is above 40 inches. 32 inches they allow without duty.

I have bought many items from Sinsiam over the past 10 years. He gives better rates when you visit the shop and pay in cash.

I will be in BKK next week but not buying any TVs this time.

Thanks for the above points I will make note of the same and send it to me friend.
However also just had one more doubt will the shipment will be a problem or is there option of Baggage Insurance which I should go in for specially for TV.

i bought my sony 42 inch tv from indira square in bangkok. That shop was on the ground floor in one corner. I dont remember the shop name. No warranty in india, Sony give only local warranty on tvs. I think opposite indira square there is a shop called namaste bangkok, you can check there also. He was not having sony, so i didnt buy from him. There are many shops in pantip plaza, you cna check there also. Pantip plaza is less than half a kilometer from indira square market.

Thai air handled the transportation very well. They have a separate counter for heavy/glass items. Not sure abt other airlines.

i bought my sony 42 inch tv from indira square in bangkok. That shop was on the ground floor in one corner. I dont remember the shop name. No warranty in india, Sony give only local warranty on tvs.

Thanks for the above info can you please share the model you had bought and the price of the same.

as THB nearing Rs.1.90/-
do your homework before buying....

THB was 1.6 in 2011 Sept @ that time i bought SONY 40" LED and 32" LCD

Thanks for the above info can you please share the model you had bought and the price of the same.

KLV-42EX410 : EX410 Series : BRAVIA HD TV (LED & LCD) : Sony Singapore

i paid 18500 or 1900 thb, i got vat refund of about 1100 THB. That time the each thai baht was about 1.75 indian rupees.

my cost was inr 28000 or 29000+duty+installation. that time duty free allowance was 25k. total came around 33k.

this model is discontunued in india now. sony india website used to mention price of inr 64k.

remember no warranty in india even if the seller confirms it 100 times.

Regards, Amit

I have raised this question before in some other thread and since I didn't receive any answer, I am posting it here again.

I understand there is no local warranty in India for TVs purchased in Bangkok.
Irrespective of availing the warranty in India, can we even get a replacement panel in India even if one is ready to bear the cost of replacing the panel ? The reason for asking this question is that one of my friends bought Sony EX-520 from Bangkok in 2011 and his panel developed vertical and horizontal lines in 2012. When the Sony service centre guy inspected the panel, he said that the panel could not be replaced as the panel on that imported EX-520 was different from the EX-520 panels available in India. So my friend had no way other than going for a new TV. So my question is - Do the Sony panels belonging to the same model number vary between different regions ?

What we believe on whether panels in various Sony's across the world are different or not is irrelevant here - if Sony centre says they are different, then what can one do?

What we believe on whether panels in various Sony's across the world are different or not is irrelevant here - if Sony centre says they are different, then what can one do?

I understand your point. Another reason behind my query is whether the service centre guy is correct or not in saying that. Some times it is very difficult to believe them ... So even if it is true, I am curious to know the rationale in having different panels for different regions. Is that applicable only for Sony or for other brands as well ? Confirmation on this can also help people in taking an informed decision in importing TVs from other regions.

Samsung offers international warranty in India.I recently bought one from grey market.The Box has international warranty written all over it, with the flags of countries its valid in, including India. Since you would be having the bill with you the warranty should be valid in India. Just confirm once with Samsung customer care.

I have raised this question before in some other thread and since I didn't receive any answer, I am posting it here again.

I understand there is no local warranty in India for TVs purchased in Bangkok.
Irrespective of availing the warranty in India, can we even get a replacement panel in India even if one is ready to bear the cost of replacing the panel ? The reason for asking this question is that one of my friends bought Sony EX-520 from Bangkok in 2011 and his panel developed vertical and horizontal lines in 2012. When the Sony service centre guy inspected the panel, he said that the panel could not be replaced as the panel on that imported EX-520 was different from the EX-520 panels available in India. So my friend had no way other than going for a new TV. So my question is - Do the Sony panels belonging to the same model number vary between different regions ?

The EX520 irrespective of whether it was bought in thailand or india uses the same panel.Sony India officially imports these tvs from thailand or malyasia.

The EX520 irrespective of whether it was bought in thailand or india uses the same panel.Sony India officially imports these tvs from thailand or malyasia.

ok ... I hope you got this information from a very reliable source.
then I am surprised why the service centre guy said that.
Any way thanks for sharing this information.

Hi,

Many times the engineers servicing may be new to organisation and they may not know about specific parts, many time these service guys may not be interested in doing their work, etc etc.

We should insist on official communication from the service center regarding the availability or non availability of the specific part.

Further sometime it may not be worthwhile changing the panel as the cost involved may be very high.

Regarding Samsung international warranty, i know somebody who bought a samsung led tv from bangkok. after 6 months of buying, tv panal got some problem, there is some line in the centre of the panel. Samsung has not agreed to change the part. Personally i dont have any experience.

Regards,

Hi,

Many times the engineers servicing may be new to organisation and they may not know about specific parts, many time these service guys may not be interested in doing their work, etc etc.

We should insist on official communication from the service center regarding the availability or non availability of the specific part.

Further sometime it may not be worthwhile changing the panel as the cost involved may be very high.

Regarding Samsung international warranty, i know somebody who bought a samsung led tv from bangkok. after 6 months of buying, tv panal got some problem, there is some line in the centre of the panel. Samsung has not agreed to change the part. Personally i dont have any experience.

Regards,

hmm... I agree few of the service centre guys are not well informed.
I also agree that it may not be worth changing the panels due to the cost involved.

When you gave the Samsung example, was Samsung not ready to provide the regular free warranty support (International warranty as k2max6 mentioned) for the imported TV ? - or - was it not able to provide the support due to some technical reasons like mis-match of the panels/components belonging to different regions ?

So it again gets me back to the same question of NILL support for all imported TVs (though this question is not relevant when most of the people would go for a new TV rather than going for a panel replacement). There may be some cases where few users would have got support for their imported TVs. Any way I see some confusion on what support one would get for an imported TV. What I meant by support is replacing parts even if there is some some cost attached to it.

I think it would be better to raise a new thread which talks about some of the confusions related to the support for imported TVs and that will help people in getting prepared for buying imported TV sets. Any thoughts/suggestions ?

Service people say what ever that comes to their mind and they still get paid for.

If the EX520 was a 40" or a 46" size it only comes with a S-Lcd SPVA panel.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back