Sony 40 inch EX 430 vs LG 42 inch LS4600 LED

Sony EX430 clarity is not that good as its in Samsung EH5330. Also I found the sound quality was also better in EH5330 than EX430.. In this range for 40 inch LED only these two are highly recommended overall.
1. Sony EX650
2. Samsung EH5330

Both are priced in a different range (one is in 55-60k) and another is (60-65k)

I was great fan of LG technology especially with its IPS technology but it has disappointed a lot in black level and light bleeding problems so better avoid LG.

Infact I would suggest you to buy Sony EX520 instead of Sony EX430 which is a last year model. (price around 55-57k)

EH5330 is same LED as EH5000 with just smart tv and some extra ports, and not to forget the samsung panel lottery :)

Sony EX430 is new led and nobody knows the type of panel of used, hopefully the new owners reveal the panel name.

Suggest ...... see and decide for yourself. Don't go by what is written on 'reviews'. A person taking a 'difficult' decision and then buying a set would seldom write anything bad about it .... thats being human, without any prejudice!

If someone is known to you in this Industry ... try finding out the rate of outrages encountered per manufacturer, instead.

Connectivity is something which I chanced upon accidentally. Else, might have blindly bought Samsung and repented serious!

Suggest ...... see and decide for yourself. Don't go by what is written on 'reviews'. A person taking a 'difficult' decision and then buying a set would seldom write anything bad about it .... thats being human, without any prejudice!

If someone is known to you in this Industry ... try finding out the rate of outrages encountered per manufacturer, instead.

Connectivity is something which I chanced upon accidentally. Else, might have blindly bought Samsung and repented serious!

You are not getting my point, we want more information from you regarding ex430, just like you gave info about audio out options, similarly if you can check the panel type in your tv and post here then it will be useful information for everyone :)

There is no information on the panel used in the manual ...

I know the procedure of finding out the panel code ... in standby condition press ... i+, 5, Vol+, power on .... the screen should show numerous details, panel code included .... well, tried it, but 'that' screen did not come up.

So, don't know any other means of finding out .....

BTW, what would you gain by knowing what panel it is? Its the image quality that matters, right? LG and Pana clearly say they use IPS panels for their LEDs, so, better buy LG/Pana then.

Do note carefully, how many of us have actually gone ahead and tried to adjust the image quality at the Retailer's outlet? None, I guess. At least, I did not.

Everyone just looks at the numerous screens glowing in front of them and take a (blind) decision. Showroom lighting is a lot different from one's own home. To me, all TVs of a 'particular breed' looked the same. There may have been a difference of not more than 5% on the pic quality. Finer adjustments are always done at home environments. The retailers just increase the brightness and led backlighting to add more glamour, at their place.

Thats where brand image of a manufacturer comes in ... also, the market feedback and one's own experience with a particular brand. I dumped LG (for TVs) just because of that.

There is no information on the panel used in the manual ...

I know the procedure of finding out the panel code ... in standby condition press ... i+, 5, Vol+, power on .... the screen should show numerous details, panel code included .... well, tried it, but 'that' screen did not come up.

"That" screen should come up as its the same combination since many years for all the models of sony, just press them one by one at quicker speed and you will get the menu.

Tried it 4 times ... obviously, pretty fast ... but, to no avail!
"Panel jai tel lene" .... bahuut hua!

Last edited:
Tried it 4 times ... obviously, pretty fast ... but, to no avail!
"Panel jai tel lene" .... bahuut hua!

Well this is the only combination: i+ or display, 5, vol+, power and it works for all the models, they wont change the service menu access codes for just one set.

You can't see panel type by going that option..

It's a known fact that Sony uses SPVA panel...cause if you tap on the screen with you finger you will see there is a change in color at the point of pressure..while in IPS this won't happen..

Also very good black level and very high contrast ratio in sony model indicates it uses SPVA panel cause IPS just simply can't match this properties..

No argument in that.

You can't see panel type by going that option..

It's a known fact that Sony uses SPVA panel...cause if you tap on the screen with you finger you will see there is a change in color at the point of pressure..while in IPS this won't happen..

Also very good black level and very high contrast ratio in sony model indicates it uses SPVA panel cause IPS just simply can't match this properties..

No argument in that.

Wrong information brother, Sony gets panels from all the players in the panel market including SPVA (samsung), AMVA (AU Optronics), SMVA (Chi Mei) and IPS (LG).

So, you cant be sure about getting SPVA in ex430 but the higher end sony will definitely get SPVA.

Nope..there are only one model which sony use IPS panel..there are no info from whom they took it lg/panasonic...and it's also not like that they will just take the panel from them and stick to their tvs..sony customize each panel.
SPVA Panel used in HX925 to EX higher end models are mostly from Sharp.
And EX lower end i.e 330 to lower end they use Samsung panel.
AMVA panel are used in sony's lowest end model/cheapest models.
And also their will be sony's own customization on layers on the panel.

Sony uses panel from different suppliers and the panels differ from model to model,this differs even within a series like EX series:

HX850,HX750,EX650,EX520 use SPVA panel.
Ex550 is SMVA
EX410 is IPS panel

But one plus point about sony is that there is no panel lottery like samsung.

this is the reason i am asking for the panel used in EX430, so that it will be a useful information for all.

Hi avidyarthy,

I have a doubt on Sony EX 430 model. My primary usage is going to be watching movies. So I would like to know the supported video formats via USB (mkv, avi, mp4 etc...)

I am planning to take diff formats of videos in USB to store and play it myself, but thought of checking with you if there are any buts.

Thank you
Naveen

I ain't ever going to use it ... so, have'nt checked till date.
Why don't you have a look at the model specs sheet?

Thanks for all the suggestions and I bought a Samsung 6030 40 inch 3D LED TV.
Loving the experience so far !!!

I would apologize for what I have said before. Infact I was also in this dilema of Sony 40EX430 and LG 42LS4600 since I had to buy 2 TV's so I had to cut down my budget so didnt went for Sony 40EX650. I did a lot of comparisons and finally I have came out to the conclusion that Sony 40EX430 is a very very good choice. I bought it from a local store at a good price with an exchange of my old (Samsung 25 inch CRT Flat TV) and with Axis Bank offer of 5% Cash Back I got it at Rs47.4k. Also bought a 32 inch LG LED at 25k (LG 32LS3400).
Finally after a very long time I bought it.. This time Diwali offers sucks so better bargain as much as you can but its not possible to bargain much in Sony & Samsung because of their fixed price policy. Thats true actually because quiet a time ago I have heard that shop like Sony Mony in Mumbai had lost Sony dealership for 2 months because of this.

both are crap models. suggest you to increase you budget a bit and buy samsung 40EH5330.. Great model at great price..

Why did you buy the crap TV?? You have specifically mentioned after demo that sony ex430 is crap.

Why did you buy the crap TV?? You have specifically mentioned after demo that sony ex430 is crap.
Crap in the sense with respect to pricing.. Its MRP was 59k .. Retailers were selling in 57k when I had seen it for the first time. At that time some retailers were selling at 5-6k more EX650. So by paying 5-6k you can get XReality (instead of Bravia Engine) , Edge LED(instead of cheaper Direct LED) , Smart TV ..

All knows sony TVs are expensive of all and from that EX430 was at that time a bit more non VFM

But now the pricing is different
EX430 i got it in 47.5k by selling my old Samsung 25 inch CRT and also 5% cashback in axis bank..

EX430 is not as great as EX650 but I am satisfied with the piece even though the PQ is not the best of the 2..

Check out flipkart pricing the difference is more than 10k and also by market price its 10k (53k and 63k)..

For 40 inch I feel 60+k is too much (Atleast for me since I had to buy another 32 inch one for bedroom)

My review
PQ- Decent (better than Samsung EH5000 EH5003 EH5330 and ES5600)
Audio - OK (decent for day to day daily soaps nd news channels use)
Pricing - Good

It has MHL support but my phone doesn't support it.. But my phone has HDMI so MHL not needed for me.

But one more thing I would like to say for comparison of 40EX430 and 42LS4600

When I saw sports channel in both these TV's simultaneously with respect to colors and different shades of grass it should produce LG was absolutely better. But in brightness it sucked (may b the showroom had too much of lighting)

For more naturals colors buy LS4600.. the reason is because of IPS panel
For more bright and vivid (as the Sony AD says) buy EX430

In SD channels EX430 is way better than LS4600..

Viewing angles for both are good..

If you a good bargain skills you can get LG 42LS4600 as low as 47.5k without any exchange or cashback.. All retailers will give you discount other the Sony & Samsung..

I hate to bring the plasma debate again, but this is exactly where plasma scores. Members have purchased 50XT50 for as low as 50k (without freebees) and normal price is 59k. The 42" brothers are around 45k. For normal tv/dth it is at par with the elderly plasma models with almost near blacks, pq, etc.

These sets are real value for money and far better than ex430 and the equivalent led class. So what if I have to be a little more careful with a plasma? I will gladly do that. Ultimately I am seeing money's worth. :)

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

to add with the above....non 3d entry plasma are as less as 37k say 42x30d....still a better picture than a 55k led....so little care and maintenace to mangata hai boss.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back