Sony 40 inch EX 430 vs LG 42 inch LS4600 LED

BestTV

Hi,

I am planning to buy a TV around 50k this week. First question is it worth to put more money on LED TV over LCD TV? Not interested in Smart TVs.

Right now, I am considering below two options. Please suggest which one is better.
1. Sony 40 inch EX 430 - 55k in showrooms
2. LG 42 inch LS4600 LED - 56k in infibeam (60k in showrooms)

This model from Sony does not tell about panel but viewing angle looked good as promised in Spec upto 170 degrees when I checked in showroom similar to LG.

Sony : KLV-40EX430 : EX430 Series : BRAVIA HD TV (LED & LCD) : Sony India
LG : LG 42LS4600 Televisions - LG Electronics NZ

Please give your suggestions.

Viewing angle defects are highly overstated. A normal family is going to sit within 50 to the TV. If the family is very large then the angle may increase to 100, i.e., 50 on either side. Even if the specs mention any specific viewing angle, or no angle of view problems (as in case with plasma), just try watching from 170 and let anyone claim that viewing is still pleasurable.

Choose TV for picture quality. Sort out sitting positions later. :)

yes definitly justified if you like the led-lcd picture over lcd....thats completly your choice.

demo plasma also...you may like the picture...also cheaper than led.
40 inch semi hd plasma 3d sammy 490 comes at 43k....just an example.no offence.my idea just.

however plasmas has their own cons also.read those and if you are open to them...get it.

and about wide angle view...not a single bit of color changes even in lowest end plasma... even from 175 degree in one side..

however above your choices sony is anyday better than the lg.....

Thanks to both of you. I will surely check a demo of plasma before deciding.

I have another question on panels. IPS vs VA ?
Everywhere on internet, IPS panel is rated better than VA. And I do not understand why Samsung/Sony does not use IPS if it is really better.
In this case, LG comes with IPS panel (no info on engine)
and Sony comes with Bravia Engine(no info on Panel type)

Any suggestions on how to measure the picture quality. I felt showrooms are making the ones they want to sell it look better than rest.

sony or sammy dont market spva.....thats why we always read/hear ips ips what lg market.......
sony sammy anyday better picture than lg....

play high quality file/original br disk....
manually set everything equal on all comapring models...
color-60
brightness maybe 45/contrast 55....backlight controll same in all acording to your preference.....cinema mode on/off/the color temp selection...

now compare...

Last edited:

Everywhere on internet, IPS panel is rated better than VA. And I do not understand why Samsung/Sony does not use IPS if it is really better.

Any suggestions on how to measure the picture quality. I felt showrooms are making the ones they want to sell it look better than rest.

In panel switching or IPS improves upon the viewing angles on lcd panel. But in the bargain they sacrifice on contrast ratio and black levels. For normal tv soap operas and drama this does not matter. However when it comes to movies, that is a different matter.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Thanks a lot for this very useful tip. I will surely check and post the results here so that it will useful to others as well.

Plasma have image burn problem which is not even covered under warranty and also massive reflections, so do keep these points in mind before going for a plasma set.

LG uses ips panels which results is better viewing angles but it loses out on the better contrast ratio and black levels of an spva panel used in some samsung and sony sets.

Sony ex430 is a new set and no reviews are available for this model or the panel type used, so checkout yourself by going to showroom.

Do u really think sony/samsung are stupid enough to sacrifice pic quality over wide angle viewing...

Most people watch tv at most 30-40 degrees...and at this angle there will be no change in pic quality...
and who sits at an angle of 170 degree...

and between SPVA and IPS..it's already been discussed a lot in other posts.

both are crap models. suggest you to increase you budget a bit and buy samsung 40EH5330.. Great model at great price..

@frosts,

I will consider this model(samsung eh5330) but can u tell why these are crap models...
SonyEX430 is new model, I liked its picture/cost and did not find any official reviews on net.
LG model got good reviews on Amazon.

:) .... its me who bought the 40EX430!

Lake's right when he states that no one exceeds 30-40 deg during TV watching. This negates the IPS panel's advantage in wide angle viewing altogether. Otherwise, this wide angle feature would have been quite important.

Already 2 days into the EX430 watch! I did not find anything crappy about it. SUPERB pic quality ..... pretty good SQ too. Though, it should be with all TV models now, the twin speakers are down-firing types ... gives the impression of an HT playback ... kind of, impersonates surround sound.

As with all my other purchases, I tend to go with something with the least 'bells & whistles' on it. I donna need internet, wifi, 3D, HDMI, USB blah blah on my TV (though, quite a few mentioned here are present). TV is for viewing TV channels and own-run movies only, IMO. Being an old school type, I provide dish/set-top box feed and DVDp video output to TV .... rest of the source outputs are sent to the AVR, so can run the TV as a stand-alone unit, if I desire.

Any TV should have good connectivity .... should be able to accept multiple source inputs, as well as have some audio output. THIS model has that! Samsung LEDs are also excellent ... BUT, selection should be made carefully. The latest Samsung models have serious 'connectivity' issues.

And to complement all the above, I being a 'little knowledge' engineer, would always have preference for something sounding more logically correct. Direct LED, IMO is a more 'even' design, for my 'little knowledge', personally am more comfortable with it than edge-LED. This is my personal view as many edge-lit models with most manufacturers are real high-end ones.

Last edited:
1. Audio out not present.
2. Can take feed of either set-top box or DVDp output ... only one at a time. That means, one has to juggle around with the connections ... :mad:. Thats a big NO ....

:) .... its me who bought the 40EX430!

Lake's right when he states that no one exceeds 30-40 deg during TV watching. This negates the IPS panel's advantage in wide angle viewing altogether. Otherwise, this wide angle feature would have been quite important.

Already 2 days into the EX430 watch! I did not find anything crappy about it. SUPERB pic quality ..... pretty good SQ too. Though, it should be with all TV models now, the twin speakers are down-firing types ... gives the impression of an HT playback ... kind of, impersonates surround sound.

As with all my other purchases, I tend to go with something with the least 'bells & whistles' on it. I donna need internet, wifi, 3D, HDMI, USB blah blah on my TV (though, quite a few mentioned here are present). TV is for viewing TV channels and own-run movies only, IMO. Being an old school type, I provide dish/set-top box feed and DVDp video output to TV .... rest of the source outputs are sent to the AVR, so can run the TV as a stand-alone unit, if I desire.

Any TV should have good connectivity .... should be able to accept multiple source inputs, as well as have some audio output. THIS model has that! Samsung LEDs are also excellent ... BUT, selection should be made carefully. The latest Samsung models have serious 'connectivity' issues.

And to complement all the above, I being a 'little knowledge' engineer, would always have preference for something sounding more logically correct. Direct LED, IMO is a more 'even' design, for my 'little knowledge', personally am more comfortable with it than edge-LED. This is my personal view as many edge-lit models with most manufacturers are real high-end ones.

I find myself much in common with you. I am also old school. I believe that TV is meant for viewing picture. Everything else is tertiary (not even secondary). Hence I often wonder myself what is the big fuss about smart TV, networking, and stuff like that. Well, if I was abroad, I would have appreciated streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, etc. In India, it does not. Hence I always say "fix an absolute budget, do demos and buy what you really like".

1. Audio out not present.
2. Can take feed of either set-top box or DVDp output ... only one at a time. That means, one has to juggle around with the connections ... :mad:. Thats a big NO ....

40ex430 is a new set with no reviews, yup the weight is very less so it will be very easy for transport, what panel is sony using in it? AMVA, SMVA, SPVA or IPS panel?

Does'nt matter which panel. YOU have to see its output quality and decide for YOURself.

BTW, without reading what is 'thrown' by Dr. Google would you know what IPS or PVA stands for? Let alone what they actually mean technically! I also don't know a thing about those, other than reading what is written on Dr. Google. Little knowledge is dangerous, IMO.

@frosts,

I will consider this model(samsung eh5330) but can u tell why these are crap models...
SonyEX430 is new model, I liked its picture/cost and did not find any official reviews on net.
LG model got good reviews on Amazon.

Sony EX430 clarity is not that good as its in Samsung EH5330. Also I found the sound quality was also better in EH5330 than EX430.. In this range for 40 inch LED only these two are highly recommended overall.
1. Sony EX650
2. Samsung EH5330

Both are priced in a different range (one is in 55-60k) and another is (60-65k)

I was great fan of LG technology especially with its IPS technology but it has disappointed a lot in black level and light bleeding problems so better avoid LG.

Infact I would suggest you to buy Sony EX520 instead of Sony EX430 which is a last year model. (price around 55-57k)

Does'nt matter which panel. YOU have to see its output quality and decide for YOURself.

BTW, without reading what is 'thrown' by Dr. Google would you know what IPS or PVA stands for? Let alone what they actually mean technically! I also don't know a thing about those, other than reading what is written on Dr. Google. Little knowledge is dangerous, IMO.

Yes, little knowledge is definitely dangerous and particularly this knowledge is not present on Dr. google as only the LED owner can answer this panel question.

ONLY SPVA panels are used by sony in their high end sets and SPVA panels have better contrast ratio and blacks.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back