Sony 40V550A Vs Samsung 40B550

Hi Guys,

Finally after lot of search, research and demos, I have finally zeroed upon Sony 40V550, Sony 40BX400 and Samsung 40B550.

I know there are lot of things already said and discussed about both these models in this forum. Both are almost similar in terms of performance or PQ with one doing better then other in one field then losing in another field.

But the question here I am asking is not about the quality of the product but about pricing, which are as below:

Sony 40BX400: Rs. 57900/- with no freebies
Sony 40V550: Rs. 59990/- free with HDMI cable
Samsung 40B550: Rs. 57500/- with free samsung 10MP camera and D2h

Pls advice me guys if its a good deal. I have to decide by tomorrow evenining. Till now I am inclining towards Sammy 40B550 becoz of lesser price and free camera and have informed the same to the sales person. However, somewhere every now and then my brain is asking me go for the trusted brand of Sony rather then Samsung. I am in dilemma...what to do......pls suggest.

I trust Sony brand but want to go for Sammy coz of better price and freebies. Can any one suggest what is the best available deal for both of these models in Bangalore and where to get from.

Last edited:
dunno about Sony 40BX400
but the Sony 40W550A is better than the 40V550A as the W has 100Hz motion flow whereas the V has 50Hz

Thanks for your reply peter, 40BX400 is the latest model launched by Sony as they are discontinuing their S, V and probably W series models.

Guys......pls any feedback on pricing of Sammy 40B550 shall be appreciated:)

B550 price looks a bit high.

If You can find sumsung 40B530 that will be cheaper than B550.
It has more or less same specs as B550.

I was quoted 51,500 for 40B530 in Hyderabad. I think the Camera they are giving is not worth. If you can ask to exclude camera then price will go further down.

B550 price looks a bit high.

If You can find sumsung 40B530 that will be cheaper than B550.
It has more or less same specs as B550.

I was quoted 51,500 for 40B530 in Hyderabad. I think the Camera they are giving is not worth. If you can ask to exclude camera then price will go further down.

Thanks alok,

If for 40B530 the price is 51.5K then I think 57.5K for 40B550 should be fine......40B550 is somewhat better then 530 model, without camera B550 is available at 56K.

Regards,
Amit

Had shortlisted the same LCDs, SONY 40V550, SAMSUNG 40B530 & 40B550 during last Diwali. After a lot of research, finally settled in for the SAMSUNG 40B530. The results are amazing with bright colors & deep blacks. The viewing angle is also great. Attached a 1000 watts Pioneer HTC system to it and the effect is amazing now!

As far as you are concerned, all are good choices. The main thing to look for while purchasing a LCD is the Picture Quality (PQ). Sound Quality (SQ) and freebies are secondary. I did not go for the SONY 40V550 at that time since it was costing Rs. 70K, way too much than the SAMSUNGs.

If price is not a factor for you, then go for the SONY 40V550, since you are facinated by the brand name SONY. You cannot go wrong with a V series. It has good reviews. Between the 2 SAMSUNGs, both are identical. The 550 costs a bit more, since it has an additional HDMI imput and slightly higher contrast ratio (which really does not matter in this case, since one can hardly make out the difference).

All the best with your LCD shopping. Let us know what you finally purchased.

Had shortlisted the same LCDs, SONY 40V550, SAMSUNG 40B530 & 40B550 during last Diwali. After a lot of research, finally settled in for the SAMSUNG 40B530. The results are amazing with bright colors & deep blacks. The viewing angle is also great. Attached a 1000 watts Pioneer HTC system to it and the effect is amazing now!

As far as you are concerned, all are good choices. The main thing to look for while purchasing a LCD is the Picture Quality (PQ). Sound Quality (SQ) and freebies are secondary. I did not go for the SONY 40V550 at that time since it was costing Rs. 70K, way too much than the SAMSUNGs.

If price is not a factor for you, then go for the SONY 40V550, since you are facinated by the brand name SONY. You cannot go wrong with a V series. It has good reviews. Between the 2 SAMSUNGs, both are identical. The 550 costs a bit more, since it has an additional HDMI imput and slightly higher contrast ratio (which really does not matter in this case, since one can hardly make out the difference).

All the best with your LCD shopping. Let us know what you finally purchased.

Thanks Geotrack,

Price is not a factor as difference in price between B550 and V550 is only 2.5K. The real problem is that I am not getting a new Sony 50V550 in the three stores I enquired. One of the stores which has Sony 40V550 has only last display piece which i don't want to go for. Another stors has the latest and newer version KLV40BX400 at the same price as B550. But again the pic quality on SD content didn't look good in 40BX400 compared to B550. Featurewise also its inferior to earlier 40S550 or 40V550 versions. So i don't want to go for that.

How is your experiance with B530. How long have you been using that set. In buying Samsung brand, I am apprehensive about their panel lottery issue. Coz even after paying 57.5K I won't be sure that I'll be getting a Samsung panel. I might end up getting a B or C panel which will be a terrible experinace.

Regards,
Amit

Thanks Geotrack,

Price is not a factor as difference in price between B550 and V550 is only 2.5K. The real problem is that I am not getting a new Sony 50V550 in the three stores I enquired. One of the stores which has Sony 40V550 has only last display piece which i don't want to go for. Another stors has the latest and newer version KLV40BX400 at the same price as B550. But again the pic quality on SD content didn't look good in 40BX400 compared to B550. Featurewise also its inferior to earlier 40S550 or 40V550 versions. So i don't want to go for that.

How is your experiance with B530. How long have you been using that set. In buying Samsung brand, I am apprehensive about their panel lottery issue. Coz even after paying 57.5K I won't be sure that I'll be getting a Samsung panel. I might end up getting a B or C panel which will be a terrible experinace.

Regards,
Amit

If price is not an issue, why don't you try to get a demo of the SONY 40W550. It is one above the 40V550. It is a sweet LCD with 100 Hz Motionflow. The prices have also reduced.

As for the SAMSUNG 40B530, like I said before, we've had it for a few months now. It is a superb LCD with sweet PQ and the SD content of Tata Sky is also amazing (DVD quality). Of course DVDs look even better. I have also attached a SAMSUNG DVD player to it and play DivX format movies and they too look nice. The DNIe engine in SAMSUNG LCDs is comparable to SONY's BE3 engine. They both do a very good job processing & upscaling SD signals.

However, about the SAMSUNG panel lottery, you are correct. It depends on the LCD lot. Samsung uses both, AMVA (AUO) and SMVA (CMO) panels. There is no way of knowing which one is in the box.

Hope this helps you decide quickly.

the BX400 is a new series,the actual replacement for the V550A will be the EX400.the replacement for the S550A atleast in the 32" segment will be called the EX300.

the BX300 is the replacement for the T550A ,the BX400 is just the 40" version of BX300.with numerous cost cutting measures.
so my advise is get the V550A or the EX400.

Hi guys......thanks to all of you for your support and guidance....frustrated of not getting Sony V series waiting for newer models finally I got the Samsung 40B550A. Got the deilvery yesterday night :yahoo:

So, now I am the proud owner of Onkyo 304 and Samsung B550.

Want tp post few pics....kindly tell me how to do that.

Also you guys have to guide me with TV settings and some good quality HD movie information which I can enjoy watching on my new toy with Onkyo HT.

Thanks a lot. :)

here are some pics of my setup.....which is ofcourse still under progress. :)

Without the TV....

dsc01407j.jpg

Shot with DSC-W320 at 2010-02-08

this too without lcd..

dsc01406x.jpg

and this with lcd...

77009761.jpg

and finally with surround speakers...

dsc01426n.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome setup bro.....plz post ur user experience with the TV. :D

thanks Imrahn,

I bought this TV over Sony 40BX400 and I must say I found the PQ on SD contents lot better in B550 then in BX400 at the time of store demo.

Now its almost more then two weeks of viewing my new LCD with Tata Sky, Original DVDs and few dowloaded Xvid DVDrips, I must say that I am happy buying this model :)

Tata sky PQ though not as good as smaller CRT screen, its satisfactory. The surprise came while playing downloaded DVDrips using USB port of Onida 5522 player. Forget about 1080p resolutions, downloads having resolution as low as 720x360 also looked great.

I have not yet tried playing any game on this so can't tell about its peformance with game, which I doubt will be great given its screen refresh rate below 100Hz. Well that doesn't matter to me as I am not going to use it for gaming for atleast coming 4-5 years.

Sound Quality also is quite good for my 11"x10" room. Many a times I switch off my Onkyo 304 home theatre setup and prefer watching movies with TV sound only. I compared the SQ of this LCD with Onkyo 304 and found its not far behind the Onkyo in terms of bringing out the details. However, the sound lacks badly in bass punch and surround effect because of the obvious reason everybody knows.

Hope you have a great time viewing your LCD. Wish you all the best.

Hi
Congrats on your purchase. I wanted to know what speakers do you have. They look great on pictures. What brand and how much they cost? Kindly post the details. Thanks

Just a bit of advice, Amit. IMO, it would look neater if you placed the LCD on its stand on the table, and wall-mounted the centre above the LCD. Those wires hanging, just take away, the bit of class associated with a proper home theatre setup. You could have the centre wall-mounted JUST above the LCD so as to hide the cables.

BTW, are those PROFX speakers?

Hi
Congrats on your purchase. I wanted to know what speakers do you have. They look great on pictures. What brand and how much they cost? Kindly post the details. Thanks

Thanks Krishnan,...the speakers are not that great but way better the Onkyo 3200 HTIB set which I was planning to buy initially. These are Sensei speakers that one can get from eZone stores. The selling price for 5.1 speakers set currently is around 24K. One may get some discount during their blindfold sale offer season.

Just a bit of advice, Amit. IMO, it would look neater if you placed the LCD on its stand on the table, and wall-mounted the centre above the LCD. Those wires hanging, just take away, the bit of class associated with a proper home theatre setup. You could have the centre wall-mounted JUST above the LCD so as to hide the cables.

BTW, are those PROFX speakers?

Hey thanks for your suggestions buddy, I liked it very much :) ....even I was thinking on those lines but I don't want to do it immediately coz I am going to upgrade few things in my setup. Once that done, I'll re-arrange the setup keeping in view your suggestion.
thanks

Back