Sony A95K vs LG G2

I am not exxagerating - that model 95G was compared to even the Z series. And for SD also it outperforms most other TVs. Even in that model the 75" and 85" versions had wide angle view filter so 65 " was a special one. Plus the X1 ultimate processor which even powered 8k TV product line had a judder free 24 hertz adjustment for sports viewing and it had a functioning google internet of things for home automation given free if claimed (basically a software with a scheduled installation provided by Sony if i remember it right which only Z series offered after that model) and its jet blacks was nothing short of OLED levels. It sold out within days of launch like piece of hot cakes. Natural colours and the list goes on. Demo pieces were sold at market rates. That kind of demand. 95H had no 65" in India release and 90H 65" was sold at 1.75 the next year and that was a downgrade for a higher price. It had the center channel sound sync with the dashing typical of all master series in Sony's stable. (95H did not). Plus the brightness hit 1200 nits and above consistently while 95H and later did not. Samsung took over as flagship from 2020 onwards in this segment.
Thats not entirely accurate ;). After the G1 purchase, and the regret that came thereafter due to lack of brightness, i wasn't quite ready to plonk down another 2.5L for a TV. Enter the demo piece of the X95G which I found for 90K this past December (2021). Total was 1.05 with 4 years additional full coverage insurance for peace of mind in addition to the 1 year given by Sony .

Thats not entirely accurate ;). After the G1 purchase, and the regret that came thereafter due to lack of brightness, i wasn't quite ready to plonk down another 2.5L for a TV. Enter the demo piece of the X95G which I found for 90K this past December (2021). Total was 1.05 with 4 years additional full coverage insurance for peace of mind in addition to the 1 year given by Sony .
I was on the hunt much before Dec 2021. Oct to Nov 2020 to be precise. The one i wanted to buy was a demo piece but thats why i pushed for a discount - alas the Kolkatta inventory slipped away.. This is a 2019 model. You are lucky thats all I can say. Also can you share with me what settings you use for your G1? Recently my sons are using my LG CX and they turn off energy savings and use vivid (i never do that and energy savings will always be medium to me or sometimes even high with sets the picture a bit dim and filmmaker mode can be selected only with this settings. An eye soothing but black crushing option while my sons prefer the bright vivid mode with no energy savings. In that mode you will never need more brightness. But eye hurts and it is not an OLED feel in PQ.

Last edited:
I was on the hunt much before Dec 2021. Oct to Nov 2020 to be precise. The one i wanted to buy was a demo piece but thats why i pushed for a discount - alas the Kolkatta inventory slipped away.. This is a 2019 model. You are lucky thats all I can say.
Amen! It was a totally unexpected find and I scooped it up immediately without second thought.
Also can you share with me what settings you use for your G1? Recently my sons are using my LG CX and they turn off energy savings and use vivid (i never do that and energy savings will always be medium to me or sometimes even high with sets the picture a bit dim and filmmaker mode can be selected only with this settings. An eye soothing but black crushing option while my sons prefer the bright vivid mode with no energy savings. In that mode you will never need more brightness. But eye hurts and it is not an OLED feel in PQ.
I use it in Filmmaker mode. And strangely, the brightness is actually more than what Vivid delivers.

Settings are: (trumotion and energy savings are turned off at all times)

20220930_170341.jpg20220930_170431.jpg20220930_170543.jpg20220930_170627.jpg

Last edited:
Well, its a no-brainer 65G2 will give you an immersive experience any day.

well lg India says 5-year assurance i don't know what that means. but you can confirm that with the dealer.

check here https://www.lg.com/in/tvs/lg-oled65g2psa

A95K is no doubt the best tv money can buy but I feel G2 is a more practical buy. Currently, 65-inch A95k is 50% more expensive than G2.I feel it does not justify such a premium.

Unless you are already using a 700nits WRGB OLED like C9 and you want to upgrade to QD-OLED.
Beware, the 5-year warranty is not free of riders. Have it confirmed from some senior LG sales-man dealing in the merchandise if you are making off-line purchase

A95K is no doubt the best tv money can buy but I feel G2 is a more practical buy. Currently, 65-inch A95k is 50% more expensive than G2.I feel it does not justify such a premium.

Unless you are already using a 700nits WRGB OLED like C9 and you want to upgrade to QD-OLED.

I am on a C9 but still am confused between A95K and G2 for upgrade. The G2 is, surprisingly, brighter in white highlights than A95K and in general comes off as brighter. Yes the A95K is brighter in colors and more accurate, on the other hand, but doesn't look brighter overall to a layman.
Its not as clear a slam dunk in favor of A95K as I earlier thought. It would've been for S95B, when it was delivering 1500nits peak brightness, but Samsung nerfed it with firmware upgrade. Anyway S95B is not available in India so whatever.

Beware, the 5-year warranty is not free of riders. Have it confirmed from some senior LG sales-man dealing in the merchandise if you are making off-line purchase
did he tell you what are the riders.at least lg is offering 5 years though with riders,on the other hand sony only offering 3 years.

I am on a C9 but still am confused between A95K and G2 for upgrade. The G2 is, surprisingly, brighter in white highlights than A95K and in general comes off as brighter. Yes the A95K is brighter in colors and more accurate, on the other hand, but doesn't look brighter overall to a layman.
Its not as clear a slam dunk in favor of A95K as I earlier thought. It would've been for S95B, when it was delivering 1500nits peak brightness, but Samsung nerfed it with firmware upgrade. Anyway S95B is not available in India so whatever.
G2 is brighter than A95K.have you seen them side by side in person?I am planning to do that in the next few days.

both are great TVs but i am inclined towards G2 lets see.

Recently my sons are using my LG CX and they turn off energy savings and use vivid (i never do that and energy savings will always be medium to me or sometimes even high with sets the picture a bit dim and filmmaker mode can be selected only with this settings. An eye soothing but black crushing option while my sons prefer the bright vivid mode with no energy savings. In that mode you will never need more brightness. But eye hurts and it is not an OLED feel in PQ.
You should turn off energy savings mode on an OLED unless you have some electricity problem. It not only dims the picture but also ruins the PQ. Also, the TV is no longer tracking EOTF curve while watching HDR content.

For SDR content, if you want the image to be less bright just reduce the OLED light level. For HDR, it will anyway be mapped correctly. The vivid mode hurts your eye because the white point is a lot bluer. Filmmarker/isf mode with energy-saving disabled shouldn't hurt your eyes.

This is HDTVTest explaining why you should turn this setting off on any TV:

G2 is brighter than A95K.have you seen them side by side in person?I am planning to do that in the next few days.

I haven't seen the side by side but mainly going by measurements that reviews put out and digital trends also clearly mentioning this-

You should turn off energy savings mode on an OLED unless you have some electricity problem. It not only dims the picture but also ruins the PQ. Also, the TV is no longer tracking EOTF curve while watching HDR content.

For SDR content, if you want the image to be less bright just reduce the OLED light level. For HDR, it will anyway be mapped correctly. The vivid mode hurts your eye because the white point is a lot bluer. Filmmarker/isf mode with energy-saving disabled shouldn't hurt your eyes.

This is HDTVTest explaining why you should turn this setting off on any TV:

Eyes get used to settings like these. Now i have gotten used to energy savings off. Previously it was not pleasant on dark room without energy savings medium or higher. Now i got used to it being off due to my sons. What Vincent says is true. Due to global energy savings pressure or drive, out of box energy savings mode is turned on by default. But in my case due to my eye infection at one time, i turned on that settings. Now i dont need it and so it is even better.

It's usually a forgone conclusion Sony is the winner all the way, and LG comes a close second. May be as a consolation they end the shoot-out with '... but price-wise LG makes more sense'
What are best prices of g2 and a95k as of now??

coming from 8 yr old full hd 55" Sammy I was all set on Sony 75X90k with compromise on picture quality over immersive experience,
now all the glowing reviews of Sony A95K and the discounts is nudging me towards it.

coming from 8 yr old full hd 55" Sammy I was all set on Sony 75X90k with compromise on picture quality over immersive experience,
now all the glowing reviews of Sony A95K and the discounts is nudging me towards it.
What is best price of a95 currently without cashbacks??

May I know your viewing distance in feet?

I seen both side by side. I see that A95k blacks and contrast are not as good as G2. But color composition and brightness are good on sony. Also android OS is better on A95K complare to webos on G2

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back