Sony BDP-S360 or Panasonic DMP-BD60 - Which One ?

deba

Dear All

Which Blu Ray Player will be better the Sony BDP-S360 or Panasonic DMP-BD60 in terms of audio / video quality and playability.

Kindly point out the pros and cons of both the players since both of them cost the same.Which one to go for ?

Thanks.

It also depends on from where r u buying these players, if from abroad then I would pick Panasonic over Sony becuase of its modability factor.
Sony and Panasonic are both VFM players but due to the fact that Panasonic can be modded to play all region DVDs as well as Blu rays, so it should be given the preference over the Sony, whereas Sony's complex circutry makes it very difficult to mod it for the Blu Ray part because in this we have to install seperate kit for each region and this requires a lot more investment as well as skilled soldering.
If modability factor is not required then I would stick with Sony.

Hi prakash,

When you say the Panny can be made region free easily, are you talking about H/W mod or Remote based?

Thanks,
sri

Remote based can be made only for specific models with firmware only for watching Region free DVD's... Not for BD:lol: Way for region free for BD is only by Mod chip..

Hi,
The reason i am asking the above question is, i am being offered brand new
BD60 brought from US for 10K(no warranty). Is it worth it? It must be Region-A player. The library i am renting out the DVDs are having bluray discs with all regions. That is, the disk are shown as Region abc blu ray. So can i play these discs on the BD60 without any hacking? Or i may get the JVC XV-BP1
player which can play mkv files upto 4GB capacity, in February, brought from Dubai. Can you guys give your thoughts?

Thanks,
sri

Hi,
The reason i am asking the above question is, i am being offered brand new
BD60 brought from US for 10K(no warranty). Is it worth it? It must be Region-A player. The library i am renting out the DVDs are having bluray discs with all regions. That is, the disk are shown as Region abc blu ray. So can i play these discs on the BD60 without any hacking? Or i may get the JVC XV-BP1
player which can play mkv files upto 4GB capacity, in February, brought from Dubai. Can you guys give your thoughts?

Thanks,
sri

Since your library is carrying region free blu rays so you will save yourself some money by buying Panasonic and as and when the need for modding arises then atleast you will save your investment by adding a HW mod to this player.

You should probably read around as both these players have been around for a bit. The pana has relatively faster loading times as well as support for divx.

RE: modding, I have heard that the sony could also be made region free but with a diff remote.

JVC XV-BP1 is first model released by JVC, go for some next model..

Cons mentioned in a website:::: no a v compulink, terrible audio power, struggles with motion, lacklustre sound, not backwards compatiable

Regards

Last edited:
Hi,

Will be able to add reviews on this thread after receiving my Pana BD-60, as I have already used Sony BDP-360 for about a month.

Hoping to get it within this week and would update this thread next week.

Cheers!

20 North is charging Rs 6684/- for Pana BD60 but Rs 21000/-for all region Pana BD 60. Why is the same player having so much price difference for "region free" ?

20 North is charging Rs 6684/- for Pana BD60 but Rs 21000/-for all region Pana BD 60. Why is the same player having so much price difference for "region free" ?

Hi,

The mod chip is costing approximately 5K if you import it in India, plus installing charges makes it a little costlier, I guess.

Cheers!

JVC XV-BP1 is first model released by JVC, go for some next model..

Cons mentioned in a website:::: no a v compulink, terrible audio power, struggles with motion, lacklustre sound, not backwards compatiable

Regards

Hi,I have the JVC player and it works very well,absolutely no problems.it also plays any format you throw at it using the flash drive or the Hard disk.
Its got excellant DVD upscaling,some rate it the next best thing after the Oppo BD player in terms of video processing. Please read reviews at avs forum .the player is a huge hit there.it also plays PAL and NTSC Region 1 DVD's.
Sorry to disagree,but i have one and love it.:D

Last edited:
Hi,I have the JVC player and it works very well,absolutely no problems.it also plays any format you throw at it using the flash drive or the Hard disk.
Its got excellant DVD upscaling,some rate it the next best thing after the Oppo BD player in terms of video processing. Please read reviews at avs forum .the player is a huge hit there.it also plays PAL and NTSC Region 1 DVD's.
Sorry to disagree,but i have one and love it.:D

Hi psj,

What region discs is it playing? Is there any remote based hack for it? Have you played mkv files thro' USB? Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks,
sri

Hi psj,

What region discs is it playing? Is there any remote based hack for it? Have you played mkv files thro' USB? Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks,
sri

It plays only Region 1 DVD's and Region A and ALL Blu Ray's. I have played lots of mkvs using the USB.loading time is amazing.My Philips HTB takes around 20 seconds to play a 700 mb avi file.The jvc plays 3 gb mkv files in 2 seconds .
There is no soft or hard hack for it.I dont see a need for it,since most of the BD disks are region all.
Please go through this thread,you will get all your queries answered.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1131998

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back