Sony Bravia KDL W700B - Buyers Thread

Hello all. bought this tv and its picture quality is just amazing. My previous tv was Philips PFL3403 32" inch one.
One thing I notice is that all my downloaded YouTube (using IDM) videos wont play the sound. Interesting thing is near the end of a video the Stereo label appears and sound of the beginning of the video starts. I tried playing them through media server like Plex etc. but of no avail.
Has anyone faced this issue? I can re-encode and play the video. But my curiosity is why it happens when it can play all the 5/6 GB 1080p movie files with DTS Surround sound?

Last edited:
hi friends,

i have zeroed in on 42 inch W700B. is there any other model in Sony at around 60-65K INR, that might be better than W700B? only thing that concerns me is the viewing angle on this model.
any review on W800C!?

Last edited:
Manufacturing of this model stopped few months back i guess. Latest model is 700C which have android OS and comes in 32" & 48" only. 56000 is a fair deal I would say. Not a best deal yet as i bought for 57k 8 months back. Try to bargain further. also make sure its a fresh piece not a demo.

Hi

I am also planning to buy 42W700B and I am quoted Rs.49500/- from a Burma Bazaar Trader (Chennai) with Bill + 1 year Warranty. It is not clear whether it is Dealer Warranty or Vendor Warranty. For me the price looks competitive, but i am afraid of any traps and have following queries:

1. In case it is Vendor Warranty, what way it is inferior to Dealer Warranty? Does it cover the Panel anyway?

2. They collect the money and sell it as sealed box piece. Should I insist to pay after checking the piece for usage hours. If yes, what should the acceptable usage hours?

3. Sony Dealers comment that LED TVs sold by Burma Bazaar traders run the risk of removed & replaced original panels. How far it is true?

4. Assuming worst circumstances of Panel problems in the 1st year, am i safe with the 20 to 25% price advantage, that is being offered.

5. What should be the reasonable manufacturing month/year, since SONY has stopped the manufacturing of this model?

Thanking you in advance for valuable inputs.

Regards
Gopinath J

Hi

I am also planning to buy 42W700B and I am quoted Rs.49500/- from a Burma Bazaar Trader (Chennai) with Bill + 1 year Warranty. It is not clear whether it is Dealer Warranty or Vendor Warranty. For me the price looks competitive, but i am afraid of any traps and have following queries:

1. In case it is Vendor Warranty, what way it is inferior to Dealer Warranty? Does it cover the Panel anyway?

2. They collect the money and sell it as sealed box piece. Should I insist to pay after checking the piece for usage hours. If yes, what should the acceptable usage hours?

3. Sony Dealers comment that LED TVs sold by Burma Bazaar traders run the risk of removed & replaced original panels. How far it is true?

4. Assuming worst circumstances of Panel problems in the 1st year, am i safe with the 20 to 25% price advantage, that is being offered.

5. What should be the reasonable manufacturing month/year, since SONY has stopped the manufacturing of this model?

Thanking you in advance for valuable inputs.

Regards
Gopinath J

I guess for that price it would be dealer warranty. If its a manufacturer warranty then this offer would be a steal. :clapping:

1. Dealer warranty is a gimmick. The main difference between Dealer warranty & manufacturer warranty is customer support and quality of service. If there is any fault in product manufacturer warranty is hassle free. you can even get replacement or refund in most cases. but that's not the case with dealer warranty. Most of the dealers wont cover Panel. They will have all sort of stories to not to support you after sale. Dealer warranty is at your own risk.

2. Yes. you should pay only after checking the price. If its a company sealed box then mostly it will be a fresh piece. But still, there are people who seal the box perfectly than company does. so better to be safe than sorry.

acceptable usage hours is nothing less than 0. it should read 00000-00004-00000. middle count may vary between 2 to 6.

The first set of digits indicates hours , middle is boot count and last is panel hours

3. May be. May be not. Like i said Dealer warranty is at your own risk. :)

4. Will dealer offer that in first place? if its manufacturer warranty then you will get 100% refund.

5. MARCH 2014 will be the first production and MARCH 2015 will be the last batch.

Good Luck

An Update:

Went to Burma Bazaar on 27.07.2015. The box pack was brought in a Scooty, and shockingly, it was a box piece in not so good condition and also there was no seal at all.

When i questioned, the trader claimed that they buy not 1 or 2 but 25 to 50 pieces in bulk and that they remove the seal to ensure that the TV is working. About Warranty, he told that SONY products carry International Warranty, and this TV has 2-Year-Warranty. When i made some logical questions, he changed his stand that SONY LEDs will work 6 to 8 years trouble free, and in case of any problem, i can very well bring the set to them. Whether it is for Service or replacement, GOD only knows!!

While we were hesitating, he unpacked the TV in less than 3 minutes and connected to power, inserted a pendrive and played a HD video of Jennifer Lopez.

Vow! the picture quality was breathtaking! What a clarity, despite being at a public place, amidst a lot of sunlight. Sound was also equally good. I could feel that it is an attempt to tempt me and he succeeded to some extent. But, as he refused to check the Usage Hours for me, the deal broke. The final offered price is Rs.48,500/- No delivery. No installation. No Wall Mount. No Bill, No Warranty.

Then I called Sony Center, Porur and the Manager offered the piece (42W700B) for Rs.59,500/- on book today and delivery tomorrow basis. I went to Sony Center, Mount Road, but was told "No Stock". He showed me demo of 43W800C the latest model (which has 3D) and 40W562C (semi smart) but at a price tag was beyond my budget.

I came out with a heavy heart without being able to buy the model which i really wanted.

Any suggestions, where else in Chennai, i could be able to buy a genuine piece (dealer or grey market) at a reasonable discounted price?

Regards
Gopinath J

An Update:

Went to Burma Bazaar on 27.07.2015. The box pack was brought in a Scooty, and shockingly, it was a box piece in not so good condition and also there was no seal at all.

When i questioned, the trader claimed that they buy not 1 or 2 but 25 to 50 pieces in bulk and that they remove the seal to ensure that the TV is working. About Warranty, he told that SONY products carry International Warranty, and this TV has 2-Year-Warranty. When i made some logical questions, he changed his stand that SONY LEDs will work 6 to 8 years trouble free, and in case of any problem, i can very well bring the set to them. Whether it is for Service or replacement, GOD only knows!!

While we were hesitating, he unpacked the TV in less than 3 minutes and connected to power, inserted a pendrive and played a HD video of Jennifer Lopez.

Vow! the picture quality was breathtaking! What a clarity, despite being at a public place, amidst a lot of sunlight. Sound was also equally good. I could feel that it is an attempt to tempt me and he succeeded to some extent. But, as he refused to check the Usage Hours for me, the deal broke. The final offered price is Rs.48,500/- No delivery. No installation. No Wall Mount. No Bill, No Warranty.

Then I called Sony Center, Porur and the Manager offered the piece (42W700B) for Rs.59,500/- on book today and delivery tomorrow basis. I went to Sony Center, Mount Road, but was told "No Stock". He showed me demo of 43W800C the latest model (which has 3D) and 40W562C (semi smart) but at a price tag was beyond my budget.

I came out with a heavy heart without being able to buy the model which i really wanted.

Any suggestions, where else in Chennai, i could be able to buy a genuine piece (dealer or grey market) at a reasonable discounted price?

Regards
Gopinath J

Glad you didn't fall for the trap.

Why can't you give a try in e-bay?

eBay

Top rated sellers selling fresh piece for 49k ( dealer warranty) & 53k ( manufacturer warranty). That's a great deal if you ask me.

Glad you didn't fall for the trap.

Why can't you give a try in e-bay?

eBay

Top rated sellers selling fresh piece for 49k ( dealer warranty) & 53k ( manufacturer warranty). That's a great deal if you ask me.

Thank you suga49

I will try in e-bay.

what is the difference between W700b and W700c? I checked website and found the w700c has 10w+10w speakers whereas w700b has 8w+8w. The W700c is 2015 make. Is there any significant differences in terms of picture quality?

Did anyone notice the new 43" W800C android TV? It must be the replacement for 42" W700B and sells in the 60's range. Plus, it comes with 3D as per Sony India website. So it has to be a good deal if the picture quality is of the same standard.

Hi All,
Thanks i found this great forum.I was searching to buy a 40 inch sony LED TV for the past 15 days. I started with 40W600B and after a lot of turns now came through 40W700C.
Im looking to buy from Ebay india, only based on the trust with Ebay(haven't bought a TV before though!) and on Sony. I tried for online reviews for w700c and understood its just launched.is there any update or reviews on its performance.The seller quoted its imported from Malaysia or singapore.Had anyone bought such imported TVs through Ebay share your experience too. Thanks-Bruno

I bought 32" W700C . Which wall mount are you using? The holes on the back are not on same level.

I think with W700B we got 2 small cylinders to extend the screw holes.

Hello Guys,

I am facing the same issue.
How to get rid off the black background from the subtitles from Sony Bravia KDL-42W700b ?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Ashish Gharde

Hi folks. I have had this model for the last 2 year. Unfortunately my unit has started causing issues. Picture gets messed up for the first few mins after switching it on and slowly settles. Not expected from a Bravia. Anyone else face this?

Anyways, does anyone use Amazon Prime on this model? I cant find the prime video app. Youtube works perfectly and these are umpteen number of apps on the sony app store. Why shouldn't Amazon Prime?

I am surprised...well not really have been hearing issues with so called premium brands after 1-2 yrs, it makes me wonder does it really make any sense to spend 2-3 times the amt to get a Sony or samsung over the budget brands who apart from being cheap also provide warranty upto 2-3 yrs. Why it just change the TV after that n of fr the latest tech n panels instead n keep changing every 3 yrs.
If both budget or premium brand will conk off within 2-3 yrs. Then why spend so much... I've had a sony, Philips n Samsung n now planning to go with one of these budget brands n I've never found Sony or Samsung to be that much better over budget friendly Philips which had been doing duty initially for 5 yrs and then next Philips for the past 2 yrs without any issues n also came with 3 yr warranty.
Would like to hear solid argument against the budget brands which will want me to spend 2-3 times n go for a samsung / sony over vu, Philips, Sanyo, tcl.

TV - stopped working just within 2 Years -

I have this brand just below 2 years, day before yesterday, it started making weird kind of noise (something like capacitor discharge), turned it of and on, it started to display colorful vertical bands, turned it off and on couple of times and now there is no picture.. though I can hear only sound if I play youtube video from my phone

Searched online and seems like this is a T-Con board issue (I am not sure yet), I am surprised to see that there are so many SONY customers who have complained about this, more shocked that company as trusted and loved as SONY has such a faulty design even after so many complains.

Read online that the repairs might cost a lot, not sure what to do.. Anyone has a suggestion ?

:sad:

Back