Sony Bravia KDL W700B - Buyers Thread

rmbornfree

[I must confess I am no videophile, and my thoughts are from the point of view (pun intended) of the slightly less demanding viewer.]
My search for a TV began around a month back when my 5 year old 32 Bravia EX300 panel was damaged in transit. My usage is PS3 (and future PS4) gaming, watching BR rips (occasionally originals too!!!) and TV, in the ratio 50:30:20.
Size & Type: My budget was between 65- 70k including extended warranty, and I settled on 42 LED, ruling out plasma only because I wouldnt be able to go through the initial break-in required as the family would be using the TV too. I never was a fan of 3D and still feel its a gimmick, so 3D was not a necessity for me.
Brand & Model: I wanted to go only with any of the big four viz. Sony, Samsung, Panasonic or LG, as none of the other brands cut it for me. LG was eliminated because I read so many complaints on various Indian and international forums regarding backlight bleeding and screen uniformity issues with their panels, though I must say the PQ of LA6910 in terms of colour and motion reproduction was excellent. The Samsung F6100 or F5500 was also on my shortlist, but since these were available only in 40, I wasnt too keen.
Going through models of Panasonic and Sony I stumbled upon hdtvtest reviews of the E6D and the W653A, and decided to do a demo of these models. I used The Dark Knight Rises and Avengers brrips, and Uncharted 3 and God of War 3 for my demo purposes.
The mid-way fight scene between Bane and Batman looked much more immersive on the E6D, and details were slightly more apparent to my eyes. The picture of the W670A also felt kind of soft to me. However during the last action scenes in the Avengers, I felt the W670A fared better, and IMO the E6D definitely has more problems in handling motion. Another thing that appealed to me about the W670A was that in the desert and chateau sections of Uncharted 3, the colours were popping out much more than on the E6D. SD channels on both looked equally good, with a slight bias to the E6D. Overall then, the PQ of both were appealing to me in different ways, for movies and SD the E6D had the slight edge, while as a gamer the W670A looked better.
By the time I got the Panasonic dealer down to 58.5k, Sony released the W700B and the dealer offered 64.9K no further discounts. Since I thought a purchasing a newer model would be better, I did a demo again, with more or less the same results. I almost finalized the E6D, but the roadblock came up when the dealer told me the extended warranty wouldnt cover the panel and board. This was around a week back, and since then I have been trying through various avenues to get this fact confirmed from Panasonic. When they neither replied to my mails or FB posts or inquiries on their website, I started to feel a little uncomfortable thinking about their service reputation. I called up their customer care a couple of days back, and their exec told me though they could provide the tariff for the extended warranty, particulars of the warranty coverage would be available only with their service vendors!!! Faced with a company that doesnt know what warranty it is offering, I decided then and there I must go with the W700B, though the Panasonic was the more economical choice.
So this is how I chose the W700B, and ended up buying it yesterday from the local Sony Center (Velachery, Chennai). Price 64900/- (plus 5k for extended warranty), they opened the sealed package before me in the showroom, I told them I would anyway check the usage hours (thumbs up to HiFiVision!!!), and the sales guy was looking at me quizzically.
Delivered and installed at 8.00 pm, first thing I did was check the usage and couldnt be happier when it showed 00000-00005-00002.
Will shortly post a review of the TV after actual usage.

Yes no one was willing to budge on the price. I tried at croma, reliance digital and couple of local dealers but no luck.
How has your experience been with the TV so far?

Yes no one was willing to budge on the price. I tried at croma, reliance digital and couple of local dealers but no luck.
How has your experience been with the TV so far?

So far no complaints. TV is Simple and easy to use. Only irk is slow USB card reading and no file organisation system for USB reading ... have to search all the files and locate the particular file to play. Do you have any idea to work this ard ?

So far no complaints. TV is Simple and easy to use. Only irk is slow USB card reading and no file organisation system for USB reading ... have to search all the files and locate the particular file to play. Do you have any idea to work this ard ?

Haven't had time to do anything except play little bit of GTA V. And boy, does it look awesome!!! Can't believe I waited this long to get a new TV.
Will definitely update if there is some workaround to the USB issue.

ry2emy6a.jpg
aze9agyh.jpg
eqy2a7y6.jpg

Viewing distance is between 5-7ft

Last edited:
U need to select "movie" "music" or "Photo" or else the TV will display all files randomly. If u select movie, you will only see video files. :)

on my Toshiba sd looks crap from 5ft :mad: but i believe the problem is with my cable box coz analog looks better than digital :p how is the quality of star sports 4?

Out of the box, SD channels look good compared to my earlier tv. Colours are not over-saturated and black levels are great. Motion blur is a slight issue, but I wouldn't say its a deal-breaker. Star sports 4 I don't know but HBO, Star Movies etc look great.
I don't think I going in for HD-DTH at the moment

Colours are not over-saturated and black levels are great. Motion blur is a slight issue

To test the true black levels, dim the lights around you and create a pro cinematic atmosphere and run the BluRay or HD BRRips of Harry Potter (Deathly Hallows) or Sharlock Holmes (Part 1).
Regarding motion blue please check whether there is any MotionPro or Intelligent Frame Creation option which are recommended for Sports.

To test the true black levels, dim the lights around you and create a pro cinematic atmosphere and run the BluRay or HD BRRips of Harry Potter (Deathly Hallows) or Sharlock Holmes (Part 1).

Regarding motion blue please check whether there is any MotionPro or Intelligent Frame Creation option which are recommended for Sports.

I will do that over the weekend, and get back with the results

Watched The Dark Knight yesterday with all lights off, and must say in some scenes I was not able to make out the black boxes at the top and bottom of the screen from the picture itself, with all lights in the room switched off.

Watched The Dark Knight yesterday with all lights off, and must say in some scenes I was not able to make out the black boxes at the top and bottom of the screen from the picture itself, with all lights in the room switched off.

This sounds like the shadow details was not very promising. Is this common? The test sites mention very good black and acceptable shadow details for this TV.

What I meant is in some scenes, for example the camera panning in on Batman standing atop the tower in Hong Kong, the black of the sky almost merged with the black box at the top of the TV, and yet details on the Batsuit were outstanding.
I don't know from a technical standpoint, but that picture looked stunning to me.

What I meant is in some scenes, for example the camera panning in on Batman standing atop the tower in Hong Kong, the black of the sky almost merged with the black box at the top of the TV, and yet details on the Batsuit were outstanding.
I don't know from a technical standpoint, but that picture looked stunning to me.

Ohh, I misunderstood your earlier comment then. Good to know this, seems like the review houses' view on blacks are true in general usage as well. Enjoy your tv.

BTW, this TV would not have any local dimming, does it? In that case, the black letterbox bars (in movie mode), and the pitch black parts of the movie scene should look similar and indistinguishable, isn't it?

You need not get into technical perfection and definition of a perfect black. The black level that makes you happy is the perfect one for you. You need to set the desired limit..How black is good black. To find the true black your TV can produce you need to calibrate it properly. You can use the HVM tested clips here.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

[I must confess I am no videophile, and my thoughts are from the point of view (pun intended) of the slightly less demanding viewer.]
My search for a TV began around a month back when my 5 year old 32 Bravia EX300 panel was damaged in transit. My usage is PS3 (and future PS4) gaming, watching BR rips (occasionally originals too!!!) and TV, in the ratio 50:30:20.
Size & Type: My budget was between 65- 70k including extended warranty, and I settled on 42 LED, ruling out plasma only because I wouldnt be able to go through the initial break-in required as the family would be using the TV too. I never was a fan of 3D and still feel its a gimmick, so 3D was not a necessity for me.
Brand & Model: I wanted to go only with any of the big four viz. Sony, Samsung, Panasonic or LG, as none of the other brands cut it for me. LG was eliminated because I read so many complaints on various Indian and international forums regarding backlight bleeding and screen uniformity issues with their panels, though I must say the PQ of LA6910 in terms of colour and motion reproduction was excellent. The Samsung F6100 or F5500 was also on my shortlist, but since these were available only in 40, I wasnt too keen.
Going through models of Panasonic and Sony I stumbled upon hdtvtest reviews of the E6D and the W653A, and decided to do a demo of these models. I used The Dark Knight Rises and Avengers brrips, and Uncharted 3 and God of War 3 for my demo purposes.
The mid-way fight scene between Bane and Batman looked much more immersive on the E6D, and details were slightly more apparent to my eyes. The picture of the W670A also felt kind of soft to me. However during the last action scenes in the Avengers, I felt the W670A fared better, and IMO the E6D definitely has more problems in handling motion. Another thing that appealed to me about the W670A was that in the desert and chateau sections of Uncharted 3, the colours were popping out much more than on the E6D. SD channels on both looked equally good, with a slight bias to the E6D. Overall then, the PQ of both were appealing to me in different ways, for movies and SD the E6D had the slight edge, while as a gamer the W670A looked better.
By the time I got the Panasonic dealer down to 58.5k, Sony released the W700B and the dealer offered 64.9K no further discounts. Since I thought a purchasing a newer model would be better, I did a demo again, with more or less the same results. I almost finalized the E6D, but the roadblock came up when the dealer told me the extended warranty wouldnt cover the panel and board. This was around a week back, and since then I have been trying through various avenues to get this fact confirmed from Panasonic. When they neither replied to my mails or FB posts or inquiries on their website, I started to feel a little uncomfortable thinking about their service reputation. I called up their customer care a couple of days back, and their exec told me though they could provide the tariff for the extended warranty, particulars of the warranty coverage would be available only with their service vendors!!! Faced with a company that doesnt know what warranty it is offering, I decided then and there I must go with the W700B, though the Panasonic was the more economical choice.
So this is how I chose the W700B, and ended up buying it yesterday from the local Sony Center (Velachery, Chennai). Price 64900/- (plus 5k for extended warranty), they opened the sealed package before me in the showroom, I told them I would anyway check the usage hours (thumbs up to HiFiVision!!!), and the sales guy was looking at me quizzically.
Delivered and installed at 8.00 pm, first thing I did was check the usage and couldnt be happier when it showed 00000-00005-00002.
Will shortly post a review of the TV after actual usage.
Hi
i heard in sony smart tv you cannot download any apps and browse to only sony specific sites is that true

Also is there a voice and motion control option or a app in sony LG offers this feature

The smart tv looks great i am planning to buy it this weekend

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back