Sony Bravia KDL W700B - Buyers Thread

Well, been busy the whole week so didnt find the time to write. I see quite a few people expressing interest in buying this TV, so here is my two cents.
Lets start with the looks. Subjective, as they say, but the minimalist looks of the TV appeals very much to my aesthetics. I was never one for silver or chrome anyway. The bezel is thin, and around the edges it has a metal finish which feels good to the touch. The thin LED strip below the Sony logo can be customized to light up or not, and I have turned it off permanently. The TV has a separate power brick, which might not go down well with some people. The main issue I have is with the stand, where clearly Sony has done cost-cutting. It is functional alright, but looks tacky.
Setting up was a breeze, and the TV detected my wifes Xperia Z wifi network in no time. Screen mirroring works fantastic, and Angry Birds and Asphalt looked stunning on a 42 screen. Be warned though, the TV couldnt , and as of writing this, has still not been able to detect my iPhone network (guess everything is an issue with Apple).
One of the initial things I did was try to ascertain if there is any backlight bleed issues, and must say that in a totally darkened room, I was happy with the uniformity of the screen. Played GTA V, and the PQ was outstanding. I got hold of some settings from avforums (wil post link later), and toyed around till it looked good to my eyes. Currently playing The Last of Us, and must say it feels like a new game altogether with this display. I play with all lights off, usually around 11 to 2 every night, and the black levels are excellent. Lots of sections in TLoU are in dark areas, and the level of detail is great. To gamers out there, a big thumbs-up to this TV. Watched The Dark Knight and Blood Diamond blurays, and again with all lights off the depth and vibrancy of the picture was excellent. Colours look very slightly over-saturated, but frankly I dont mind. I like the picture.
To the average person looking to upgrade to a 42 with no need for 3D and other frills, this TV is a great buy, but the price could be bargained to 59-60k as per some members.
Other than the price factor, if someone is on the wall with this TV, I would say definitely go ahead and buy it.

Hi

i heard in sony smart tv you cannot download any apps and browse to only sony specific sites is that true

Also is there a voice and motion control option or a app in sony LG offers this feature

The smart tv looks great i am planning to buy it this weekend

Motion control remote can be purchased separately.
I didn't go through the smart tv options in too much detail, because I am not planning to use them anyway. But I definitely don't think there is such a restriction for apps and browsing. Could probably check out and tell you by tomorrow.

Well, been busy the whole week so didnt find the time to write. I see quite a few people expressing interest in buying this TV, so here is my two cents.
Lets start with the looks. Subjective, as they say, but the minimalist looks of the TV appeals very much to my aesthetics. I was never one for silver or chrome anyway. The bezel is thin, and around the edges it has a metal finish which feels good to the touch. The thin LED strip below the Sony logo can be customized to light up or not, and I have turned it off permanently. The TV has a separate power brick, which might not go down well with some people. The main issue I have is with the stand, where clearly Sony has done cost-cutting. It is functional alright, but looks tacky.
Setting up was a breeze, and the TV detected my wifes Xperia Z wifi network in no time. Screen mirroring works fantastic, and Angry Birds and Asphalt looked stunning on a 42 screen. Be warned though, the TV couldnt , and as of writing this, has still not been able to detect my iPhone network (guess everything is an issue with Apple).
One of the initial things I did was try to ascertain if there is any backlight bleed issues, and must say that in a totally darkened room, I was happy with the uniformity of the screen. Played GTA V, and the PQ was outstanding. I got hold of some settings from avforums (wil post link later), and toyed around till it looked good to my eyes. Currently playing The Last of Us, and must say it feels like a new game altogether with this display. I play with all lights off, usually around 11 to 2 every night, and the black levels are excellent. Lots of sections in TLoU are in dark areas, and the level of detail is great. To gamers out there, a big thumbs-up to this TV. Watched The Dark Knight and Blood Diamond blurays, and again with all lights off the depth and vibrancy of the picture was excellent. Colours look very slightly over-saturated, but frankly I dont mind. I like the picture.
To the average person looking to upgrade to a 42 with no need for 3D and other frills, this TV is a great buy, but the price could be bargained to 59-60k as per some members.
Other than the price factor, if someone is on the wall with this TV, I would say definitely go ahead and buy it.

what difference did you find between panny e6 and sony w700b.....which tv offers a cleaner image among the two tvs and which tv has better colour saturation......what about the blacks......which is better....

what difference did you find between panny e6 and sony w700b.....which tv offers a cleaner image among the two tvs and which tv has better colour saturation......what about the blacks......which is better....

Today while out for shopping for a LED TV (42-50 inch), I find the Sony Bravia W700B the one with the better PQ and very good blacks rendered (Demoed scene from Dark Knight Rises). Panasonic 42ET60D was right in the mix and and I consider it VFM since it is 3D+ the proper Wifi (Keyboard enabled browsing).

What was astounding was a clear lack of choice in non 3D TVs with size above 40 inches. Its as if the TV makers have carteled for pushing a feature that is hardly used.

One other thing I need assistance from the forum and the owners of W700B is does it have an HDMI port with ARC support ? I could not get the right answer from the salesperson at the showroom.

Today while out for shopping for a LED TV (42-50 inch), I find the Sony Bravia W700B the one with the better PQ and very good blacks rendered (Demoed scene from Dark Knight Rises). Panasonic 42ET60D was right in the mix and and I consider it VFM since it is 3D+ the proper Wifi (Keyboard enabled browsing).

What was astounding was a clear lack of choice in non 3D TVs with size above 40 inches. Its as if the TV makers have carteled for pushing a feature that is hardly used.

Exactly what I feel.

hi....ordered this today in NCR for 58,000 Net. Perhaps got a good deal. Delivery will be tomorrow...can you guys help me on one aspect - how to check the initial usage hours, once the TV will be delivered. Any further point also to be cautious about initially during taking delivery?

Lack of choice because the good models sell quickly. So the best models are usually out of stock :lol:

Watched the W700 in action today in Reliance Digital and I wonder why the PQ didn't appeal to me. The rendition was looking too much software enhanced and the artifacts were clearly visible. It was connected to a TS HD box by a component cable and in fact all the sets on display were connected by the same combination.
IMO Sony has clearly lost the race by compromising quality with price. Even a LG LN57* with 50Hz looked better. I was in search for a Panny E6D and wanted to compare the Panny E6D to Sony W700 but there was no Panny on display. I have seen 2012s HX750 earlier and I must say that W700 is in no way near to the quality HX750 offered.
Also got a glimpse of LG PN4500 plasma and it was perhaps the best of the lot at 40K range.

Comparing tvs based on showroom settings is useless.You need to take the remote and adjust the tvs to their optimum settings.
In Sony all kinds of noise reduction and enhancements will be turned on by default.All those need to be switched OFF.

Comparing tvs based on showroom settings is useless.You need to take the remote and adjust the tvs to their optimum settings.
In Sony all kinds of noise reduction and enhancements will be turned on by default.All those need to be switched OFF.

advanced contrast enhancer and reality creation ..both shud b turned off

and sharpness leevel sony keeps 50.. it shud be 20 max

@iamjason: You compared W700B with L42E6D or L42ET60D?

I compared W700B(63500INR) vs L42E6D (60500 INR) vs L42ET60D (67500INR) ... The ET60D is a 3D TV whereas the others are non 3D. VFM because it has the 3D + Wifi (browsable through Keyboard) + ARC HDMI + IPS Panel (if that is a plus) . Looks wise the silver bezel of Panasonic is a bit out-of-place , especially when switched off and Sony is ahead in black display + fit and finish.

But overall I feel that as the customer service of the Big 3 (Sony/LG/Samsung) is miles ahead of the rest - unless one can take the chance with the odd fault/failure - it is better to opt for a product from these.

I compared W700B(63500INR) vs L42E6D (60500 INR) vs L42ET60D (67500INR) ... The ET60D is a 3D TV whereas the others are non 3D. VFM because it has the 3D + Wifi (browsable through Keyboard) + ARC HDMI + IPS Panel (if that is a plus) . Looks wise the silver bezel of Panasonic is a bit out-of-place , especially when switched off and Sony is ahead in black display + fit and finish.

But overall I feel that as the customer service of the Big 3 (Sony/LG/Samsung) is miles ahead of the rest - unless one can take the chance with the odd fault/failure - it is better to opt for a product from these.

gud choice .. IPS panels suxx... their black levels suxx..

u can make 3D and wifi in 700B with android USB devices .. no problem

Yup, Even though Panasonic TVs are good their customer support is awful. So you've decided to buy Sony?
Wish it was that simple.... But more and more likely Sony 700b 42 inch or Samsung f5100 46 inch.... The Samsung is a year old and no frills model and is available for 67k at viveks or 69k at croma. The newer models , across brands, seem to be serving needs that are irrelevant than making a better experience in terms of picture quality, robustness and customer satisfaction

gud choice .. IPS panels suxx... their black levels suxx..

u can make 3D and wifi in 700B with android USB devices .. no problem

Dude, do you even read what you are putting up on the forum ? There is a very good chance you will end up misleading people who are here to get to know new technologies. :mad::mad:
Or at least back your claims with some evidence how you can achieve 3d with your so called "android USB device"... Just because you can, doesn't mean you should spout some gibberish in a perfectly meaningful thread.

Dude, do you even read what you are putting up on the forum ? There is a very good chance you will end up misleading people who are here to get to know new technologies. :mad::mad:
Or at least back your claims with some evidence how you can achieve 3d with your so called "android USB device"... Just because you can, doesn't mean you should spout some gibberish in a perfectly meaningful thread.

u know u cant do 3d in tv with usb stick .. then just write it.. no need to tell me

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back