Sony Bravia KDL W700B - Buyers Thread

Hi,

I got this TV last year in March. Totally happy with the PQ and the features. My only grouse was the slow reading of the USB which was rectified by a minor change as well. Over all the TV is great! However, I did face some issues only after a few months. The overall service took around 20 days (during which we were given a 21" TV). They changed the motherboard initially and then the panel and then the motherboard again. All said and done the TV since then works fine. No one else in the forum has faced this issue so mine seems to be an isolated case. Even the technician said that they haven't faced any such issues with this model. Btw have taken the extended 2 year warranty now which costs Rs.5k.

Go for this TV. Nothing wrong with it. It looks good and performs well. Of course if you can delay your decision, nothing like it since it always pays to wait a bit more when it comes to electronics. Moreover there are no deals presently by any major brand, so why rush? Wait for a few months and soon there will be a number of offers on all mojor brands (plus new models which will push the price further down) :)

Happy Shopping :)

First time I am hearing a problem about this TV.:confused: That too from you :( what was the problem? wat issue it caused? could you pls elobrate

Hi Guys,

I just went through all 37 pages of this discussion in a stretch and it has helped me made up up mind for this TV.. :lol:

Couple of things which I want to ask you guys is,
1. Does this TV has a built in browser to surf the net
2. Has anyone tried streaming online videos (e.g. Matches from StarSports.com) or Play any other videos except from the youtube app...

Thanks. :)

Hi Guys,

Wanted to confirm the above two points before I get the set... I am in a bit hurry as I am planning of getting the TV today itself.

First time I am hearing a problem about this TV.:confused: That too from you :( what was the problem? wat issue it caused? could you pls elobrate
Hi Suga49,

Buddy this problem occurred within a couple of months of buying. One day the TV suddenly refused to display anything. Tried everything but then called the service centre. They first changed the motherboard, then panel and then motherboard again. Finally they told me it was the motherboard. The technicians also said that this was a one off case (they had not faced this before) and since I hadn't seen anyone else face the same issue here I assumed it must be that one off thing. They weren't sure what caused it and took the motherboard saying it'll be analysed at the factory. Never told me the detailed problem.
Nothing to worry. Since then the TV has performed perfectly. I got the extended warranty as well :D

Guys, is anyone successful in setting up screen mirroring between Sony W700B and iPhone5?

I am using iMedia Share, this only displays pictures. I want to play Angry Bird on my TV :D

Folks- am not at all satisfied with the picture quality of standard definition channels. I use Airtel hd stb. HD channels and videos are awesome. I know sd channels won't be that good in this type.

But I am thinking if Tata sky will make a difference against Airtel for sd channels.
I am not able to fully come out of sd channels as some Tamil channels are necessary.

Folks using Tata sky with this tv, please comment on the picture quality of sd channels

Last edited:
Folks- am not at all satisfied with the picture quality of standard definition channels. I use Airtel hd stb. HD channels and videos are awesome. I know sd channels won't be that good in this type.

But I am thinking if Tata sky will make a difference against Airtel for sd channels.
I am not able to fully come out of sd channels as some Tamil channels are necessary.

Folks using Tata sky with this tv, please comment on the picture quality of sd channels

Recently there was an outage from airteldth. Post that the picture quality looks to have improved. Anyone else with similar observation?

Hi Guys bought sony w700b from vaishali electronics bangalore for 56k...
got it installed.looks good for first impression..got to explore it further...
A small clarification...I am unable to get into service menu ...i switched off the set from remote and pressed i+ + 5 + volume down + power on button....but nothing happens..Please help....

Hi Harsha,

I too am planning to get it from vaishali electronics. So, just had a few questions.
Is the product genuine ?
Did you get installation done from Sony professionals or Vaishali's guys ?
Is the warranty card properly filled ?
Did you get installation coupons in the box ?

Kindly help

Thanks
Himanshu

Hye Friends, How do you compare Panasonic's TH-42AS630D picture quality with SONY's 42W700B. This model of Panasonic has a super bright IPS panel which performs very well when compared to other top brands. I have personally checked it at local Croma store. All the displayed LED tv (SONY,SAMSUNG,PANASONIC,LG, TOSHIBA) were playing Discovery HD channel. Out of all, SONY's W900B with Triluminos Display & Panasonic TH-42AS630D were outstanding & identical in brightness, picture quality & color reproduction. My favorite one, SAMSUNG 40H5500 was no where around these two. I personally checked the picture settings of all three LED & on almost equal settings Panny out shined Sammy. However, there is a huge price difference between Panasonic & SONY which may be justified by Triluminos Display or may be not when compared to Panasonic's TH-42AS630D.
Your comments please..

Regards,

Arun

anyone able to play x265/H265 (HEVC) codec videos? x265 videos are less in size and have better clarity. But unfortunately these videos are not playing in W700B.

Last edited:
700C 2015 models have come in. The SA informed C series (at the end) (B reflects 2014) are 2015 models. I was checking for R series also in C series, (R412C - nonsmart) for my friend. He is interested - which comes with reasonable speaker output. Details in sony site. Did not check the 700c in showroom though! As before, no discounts for (2014) models. Anyone has any info? Iam looking for 700B though.

I am joining the club - have ordered W700b from flipkart and expecting to get it delivered tomorrow. Finally I am upgrading from my 22" Samsung LED tv which served me well for 2+ years and thanks to hifivision among other forums which helped me to finalize on this model!

I am considering to opt for the extended warranty and wanted to know if it gives the same coverage as standard warranty? Also what is the procedure and timeline within which i should avail it? I had a chain of recent disasters with smartphones bought from US without any India warranty and now stand my lessons learned - even avoided ebay for my TV purchase with just dealer warranty. I am looking at having peace of mind at least with my TV for as 'extended' period as possible. :)

Flipkart has shipped the TV pretty fast and I also had the option to schedule the delivery time per convenience. Though I scheduled between 8 - 10 am, the guys turned up 30 mins late. Anyway, the delivery experience was otherwise good and I was glad to see 0000-0004-0000 in usage hours (manufactured March 2015) :clapping: I did the installation myself.

The Sony person had called and informed me that he wall mount it for free. But I did not go for it anyway I plan to do a proper swivel type mount in the future. Do not want to shell out any extra cash for the moment!

Time to sit back and enjoy some good movies in my upgraded home theater now! ;)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back