Sony Bravia KDL W700B - Buyers Thread

atlast bought sony 700b last week.

pic quality stunning in full hd and very good in sd..also using chromecast and updated the software..

can anyone suggest a good home theater compatible with the tv..

I am facing couple of problems with the TV lately.

1. I couldn't play videos of length more than 3 hours from Pendrive/HDD. I downloaded Lord of Rings extended versions. and they vary in length from 3.5 hours to 4.5 hours. When i try to play the video it plays till a point and it stops and throws an error "Playback not available". I tested with videos less than 3 hours. No problem at all. problem is only with lengthy videos.

2. sometimes I am getting "Media player not responding" error.

Anyone else faced similar kind of problem.

Hi Suga,

I did face this media player not responding thing a few days ago. The media player had crashed and it simply refused to start again giving me the same message again and again. I then updated the TV software and it worked all fine.

As for the videos, I have played videos that run for 3hours and 20mins. That was LOTR-Return of the King. Haven't tried any video for more than 3.5 hours though.
I think it is more to do with the file size than duration.
It can also be the pen drive and the file system used in it (NTFS, Fat32, etc.)

I don't have any media which runs continuously for more than 3.5hours at one go so dunno if I'll be able to test that but I have played media >3GB in size. Shall try to play any media running for >3.5 hours and will let you know (in case I have it).

Thank you ValarMorghulis.

Regarding Media Player not responding error, If I reboot the tv, it works fine.

Coming to lengthy videos issue. The LOTR is just 1.5 GB in size. its YIFY print known for its smallest size of BRrip videos. I have played videos beyond that size. I played "catch me if you can" which was 6GB in size without any issues. But the length was just under 3 hours. Also i tried playing using both the file system NTFS & Fat32 but in vain.

Please let me know in case u try some videos more than 3.5 hours.

Thanks again.

Hi Suga,

Tried LOTR Return of the King Extended version 4hours and 10mins video. Played flawlessly right up till the end.

Try the file on your laptop. May be a file issue or try changing the PD.

Cheers

Hi,

Saw a demo of this TV in the showroom and must say the PQ is fantastic.
Planning on getting either this one, or equivalent sized Samsung H5500.

My question is- have you guys had problems playing various video file formats on this TV? If so, which ones does it NOT play?
And does it play subtitles?

I have 1 TB hardisks and will be connecting it directly to the TV. How much time does it take to read the contents in general?

Thanks.

Hi,

Saw a demo of this TV in the showroom and must say the PQ is fantastic.
Planning on getting either this one, or equivalent sized Samsung H5500.

My question is- have you guys had problems playing various video file formats on this TV? If so, which ones does it NOT play?
And does it play subtitles?

I have 1 TB hardisks and will be connecting it directly to the TV. How much time does it take to read the contents in general?

Thanks.
Well it plays virtually all the formats. I have played most if not all including .mkv. Haven't faced much of a problem. The website mentions the following compatible formats for USB play: MPEG1/ MPEG2PS/ MPEG2TS/ AVCHD/ MP4Part10/ MP4Part2/ AVI(XVID)/ AVI(MotionJpeg)/ MOV/ WMV/ MKV/ WEBM/ 3GPP/ MP3/ WMA/ WAV/ JPEG/ MPO/ RAW(ARW)

1TB is read pretty easily and in around 4-5seconds. The TV is awesome to say the least. Get it if you like the PQ. Its sleek, looks fab and gives wonderful performance.

Well it plays virtually all the formats. I have played most if not all including .mkv. Haven't faced much of a problem. The website mentions the following compatible formats for USB play: MPEG1/ MPEG2PS/ MPEG2TS/ AVCHD/ MP4Part10/ MP4Part2/ AVI(XVID)/ AVI(MotionJpeg)/ MOV/ WMV/ MKV/ WEBM/ 3GPP/ MP3/ WMA/ WAV/ JPEG/ MPO/ RAW(ARW)

1TB is read pretty easily and in around 4-5seconds. The TV is awesome to say the least. Get it if you like the PQ. Its sleek, looks fab and gives wonderful performance.

Thanks for the reply ValarMorghulis :)
One question - How do you compare it to the Samsung 40H5500?
In fact, I've asked this question here (with a more complete scenario mentioned) - http://www.hifivision.com/televisio...ch-full-led-sony-42w700b-samsung-40h5500.html

It would be great if you could help me decide, from your experience.
Thanks.

In fact, I've asked this question here (with a more complete scenario mentioned) - http://www.hifivision.com/televisio...ch-full-led-sony-42w700b-samsung-40h5500.html

Thanks.

If you could see my previous posts you will never think about samsung H series :eek:hyeah:

I first bought samsung H5100 (non smart) and returned within few months because of panel issue in samsung and bought Sony W700B. Sony is wonderful compared to samsung.

You can view my detailed review here

http://www.hifivision.com/television/50469-sony-bravia-kdl-w700b-buyers-thread-32.html

My vote is for Sony W700B. Good luck :)

Thanks.
Hi brainStorm87,

Check my comment in that thread too :p
Btw comparing it with Samsung 40H5500, well first of all its Samsung and that too 40" only (why compromise with 2" more ;) )
If you check in flipkart and run a comparison (Samsung 40H5500 101 cm (40) LED TV vs Sony BRAVIA KDL- 42W700B 106 cm (42) LED TV: Compare Televisions: Flipkart.com) the following things are clear:
1. Sony has a higher Refresh rate (200Hz Vs 100Hz)
2. More connectivity options (more HDMI ports, HD Link, etc.)
3. Lesser power consumption (go green with lesser electricity bill)
4. More supported video formats (which is VERY important)
5. There is even an ethernet RJ45 port
6. Bravia bragging rights :p (ok, I added that)

But this is a clear verdict. Unless the price difference is a deciding factor, go for Sony.
Listen to Suga49 as well ;)

@Suga49: Buddy did that problem of playing longer files get resolved?

@ValarMorghulis : sorry. I thought of replying but held up with work. LOTR return of Kings yify print works in laptop and PC. But its not working in Sony. It stops after an hour. I am guessing its the problem with video. Could you please tell me which print you are using.

So i bought this tv yesterday, played 1080p bluray rips. How to remove the black bars while playing 1080p videos.

I think you are saying about letter box format. Black bar in top and bottom. That's the way it is supposed to play if the movie is taken originally with an aspect ratio of 2.39:1. Only the movies taken with an aspect ratio of 1.78:1 will come all over the screen. We cant control that. Its tat particular movie's director's choice :lol:

Nowadays all the movies are shot with aspect ratio of 2.39:1. So you cant avoid the black bars. Whereas all the English series are shot in 1.78:1 if I am not wrong.

IMO I would prefer letter box format for movies. If it blows all over the screen it looks like series to me.

If you want to know the list of movies that plays in Fullscreen here is the link

List of Fullscreen 16:9 1.66-1.85 Blu-rays - Blu-ray Forum

All I know is "The Avengers" Plays in full screen :)

Hi!
i m a newbie on this forum. Recently i have purchased sony 42W700B LED tv.
i encountered aproblem with the tv. The text displayed on the display are little bit hazy. even the logo of dishtv looks torned. I used SD dishtv settopbox.
I woluld really appreciate help and knowledge of foroum members.
Thanks in advance.

Pragnesh

Hi!
i m a newbie on this forum. Recently i have purchased sony 42W700B LED tv.
i encountered aproblem with the tv. The text displayed on the display are little bit hazy. even the logo of dishtv looks torned. I used SD dishtv settopbox.
I woluld really appreciate help and knowledge of foroum members.
Thanks in advance.

Pragnesh

From where are you watching this text? Is the source SD like your Set top box? In that case it would be hazy since the TV is 1080p (1920 1080pixels) and the feed is SD (640480pixels). Your are basically sending a SD signal and stretching it over a 42" screen meant for 1080p feeds. The picture will be hazy, heck terrible, to watch in your TV. Try some 1080p (Full HD) content. You'll love the clarity.

Also what is your viewing distance? Stay at least 5 or 6 feet away from the TV to enjoy the clarity.

Happy Watching :)

Hey guys! I am a newbie here. I am planning to buy a new tv set and my heart is set on the sony bravia w700b model after a demo at a local store. However I am a bit worried since its been only a year since the launch of this model and Lcd panels are reportedly notorious for going kaput around the 2-3 year mark. I admit I haven't heard any bad user experiences with this model till now. However just for reassurance, I was wondering if you guys have heard any such reports.

By the way, can we buy insurance of tv? (I know I sound like a noob :confused: )

Irrespective of any brand, it is advisable to buy extended warranty for the highest available period for any TV. Yes Sony provides extended warranty.

Hey guys! I am a newbie here. I am planning to buy a new tv set and my heart is set on the sony bravia w700b model after a demo at a local store. However I am a bit worried since its been only a year since the launch of this model and Lcd panels are reportedly notorious for going kaput around the 2-3 year mark. I admit I haven't heard any bad user experiences with this model till now. However just for reassurance, I was wondering if you guys have heard any such reports.

By the way, can we buy insurance of tv? (I know I sound like a noob :confused: )

Using this TV for past 3 months. I am totally satisfied. 2 years extended warranty is provided by Sony.

But I would ask you to wait for few more days. Launch of new TV series by Sony is around the corner. If the speculations are to be believed, Sony might go with Android OS for smart TV's. Wait for a month or two for the launch, even if the new model fails to impress, you can still buy W700B from retailers for a much much lesser price. Good luck

Using this TV for past 3 months. I am totally satisfied. 2 years extended warranty is provided by Sony.

But I would ask you to wait for few more days. Launch of new TV series by Sony is around the corner. If the speculations are to be believed, Sony might go with Android OS for smart TV's. Wait for a month or two for the launch, even if the new model fails to impress, you can still buy W700B from retailers for a much much lesser price. Good luck

Thank you for the tip. It looks like a win-win deal.:D

Hi,

I got this TV last year in March. Totally happy with the PQ and the features. My only grouse was the slow reading of the USB which was rectified by a minor change as well. Over all the TV is great! However, I did face some issues only after a few months. The overall service took around 20 days (during which we were given a 21" TV). They changed the motherboard initially and then the panel and then the motherboard again. All said and done the TV since then works fine. No one else in the forum has faced this issue so mine seems to be an isolated case. Even the technician said that they haven't faced any such issues with this model. Btw have taken the extended 2 year warranty now which costs Rs.5k.

Go for this TV. Nothing wrong with it. It looks good and performs well. Of course if you can delay your decision, nothing like it since it always pays to wait a bit more when it comes to electronics. Moreover there are no deals presently by any major brand, so why rush? Wait for a few months and soon there will be a number of offers on all mojor brands (plus new models which will push the price further down) :)

Happy Shopping :)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back