Sony Bravia W950C or W900B?

Twenty@20

I am planning to buy a bravia TV in 2 weeks but can't decide between these two models. both are priced the same for 43" and 50" models. The new 950c has Android TV and a sound bar(which sounded awesome on demo) but lacks local dimming and Extended Dynamic Range which was present in the older 900B (according to Sony website). Theoretically 900B should have better contrast and deeper blacks (Curiously didnt find this model at showrooms to demo) while 950c has all the bells and whistles.

Can anyone confirm if the PQ of 900b is better than 950c because then I would definitely go for 900b

man i was wondering the same
should i go for w900b or w950c?

the problem is with the panel on w900b it is an IPS panel where as w950c is a VA panel
is it worth picking for xtended dynamic range and local dimming for an IPS panel
that is the question

There are no professional reviewers in india like cnet or rtings.com in US
and the problem comes when these models are not released elsewhere particularly in the west and therefore we are left in the corner
i have been trying my luck at youtube but no one compares w950c with w900b

it is very tempting especially when snapdeal is offering 82k for 50 inches whereas w950c is available for around 74-78k for 43 inches

some one who compared both models should throw some light
anyone ?

With or wihout the extended dynamic range and local dimming, VA panel shall have better contrast when compared to IPS panels

So I got lucky and demoed both the 50 inch models of W900B & W950C side by side at the local Big Bazaar. To my untrained eyes the PQ of both the models looked the same. The nearby LG LF6300 55 inch looked the same too. If anything the 950c looked marginally better. I finally decided to get the w900b because of the steep discount plus additional festival offers. And the touch pad remote comes free with 900b.

Interestingly I got to know that sony has discontinued the w900b series. The model has disappeared from the sony india website also. So anyone interested in this model should hurry up.

I booked 50w900b yesterday after going through the specs and reviews. I think it is the right blend of size, PQ and not so overwhelming smart features. Also got a good deal at 81k with the Sony S1500 BD player. What say guys - is it a good deal?

I got the 50w900b last Friday. And it has been impressive so far. From a viewing distance of 8 feet HD channels are awesome, SD channels are looking good. Screencasting is working flawlessly from both phone and laptop. Native YouTube player works fine on wifi. Sound quality is very good specially in cinema mode. Movies from pendrive play smoothly. 3d movies look awesome. Watched Age of Ultron in 3d yesterday. Overall this TV has been a good buy specially at this discounted price.

The Sony guys who came to install said that while the TV comes with 1 Yr warranty, the panel has 2 yrs warranty. They even wrote it in the warranty card. Any idea if its true?

I bought a 55 inch Samsung tv from ebay india after researching for a few months.The model no UA55JU6400 and it an uhd tv .the price when I booked was 99500 but in 2 weeks the price has now dropped down to 89500/-.I got delivery of the tv after 10 from delhi to Chennai.the performance of the tv is impressive.great black levels and contrast.the hd channels look much better than on my previous lg 42 inch tv.Hd picture quality is probably better because of the uhd upscaling than on a normal hd tv.uhd videos from youtube look great especially if you watch from a distance of 5 ft on this 55 inch tv.The tv is brand new and comes with a one year seller warranty as opposed to a one year manufacturer warranty if you buy an equivalent indian model( ju6470) but the price is nearly 1.40 to 1.50 lakhs.imported tvs from ebay come a full 50% cheaper.this one is made in Thailand.people looking to save money on a big size tv should buy from ebay where the prices are honest.by the way the price of a sony 55W800c with android is only abt 90000 on ebay.These are genuine imported tvs sold much cheaper.For a 1 yr manufacturer warranty we are forced to pay more than 50% extra in india

Last edited:
Kamal,
I was about to put a question regarding the eBay deal... After seeing ur post even am leaning towards the eBay for 55".
How was the packing? & does it took 10 days?
Does it comes with android? If so how is the smart tv experience....

came with good wooden packing.delivery time about 12 days.Invoice was enclosed.It is brand new and genuine Samsung tv.Watching for the last one
week.picture quality is fantastic.it comes with Samsung smart tv hub.not android.frankly watched only youtube to test uhd video quality.there a lot of apps in the store

Last edited:
I got the 50w900b last Friday. And it has been impressive so far. From a viewing distance of 8 feet HD channels are awesome, SD channels are looking good. Screencasting is working flawlessly from both phone and laptop. Native YouTube player works fine on wifi. Sound quality is very good specially in cinema mode. Movies from pendrive play smoothly. 3d movies look awesome. Watched Age of Ultron in 3d yesterday. Overall this TV has been a good buy specially at this discounted price.

The Sony guys who came to install said that while the TV comes with 1 Yr warranty, the panel has 2 yrs warranty. They even wrote it in the warranty card. Any idea if its true?

Can you please check and let us know if the model can read an external HDD (1TB) in size? Can it read a file >4Gb in size ? also how fast/slow is the read process.

My buying decision depends on this. The newer model i.e. W950c can play movie >4GB file size from 1TB external HDD.

Can it read a file >4Gb in size
Ans: it can read file up to 20 GB, y'day i tried 18 GB 3D movie, Reading wise at par with W950c. i am using a 128 GB pen drive.

I booked 50w900b yesterday after going through the specs and reviews. I think it is the right blend of size, PQ and not so overwhelming smart features. Also got a good deal at 81k with the Sony S1500 BD player. What say guys - is it a good deal?

Anand, was it an online booking you did or any specific showroom which gave this discount?

I am planning to buy a bravia TV in 2 weeks but can't decide between these two models. both are priced the same for 43" and 50" models. The new 950c has Android TV and a sound bar(which sounded awesome on demo) but lacks local dimming and Extended Dynamic Range which was present in the older 900B (according to Sony website). Theoretically 900B should have better contrast and deeper blacks (Curiously didnt find this model at showrooms to demo) while 950c has all the bells and whistles.

Can anyone confirm if the PQ of 900b is better than 950c because then I would definitely go for 900b

950C :
Viewing Angle 178 (Right to Left), 178 (Up to Down)

900B:
Viewing Angle 89 (Right/Left), 89 (Up/Down)

This is the distinguish factor, IMO. I assume 950C has a IPS Panel , that's the reason the viewing angle is higher like in LG model.
900B must be having a VA Panel , so it has local dimming also.

I am also going to buy a TV next month. I will go for VA Panel.
Please have demo of both(IPS n VA) side by side, you can clearly see the black is far better n darker in VA Model (Deeper black is the heart of TV/Projector).

I hope it might help u in buying decision.

950C :

900B:

This is the distinguish factor, IMO. I assume 950C has a IPS Panel , that's the reason the viewing angle is higher like in LG model.
900B must be having a VA Panel , so it has local dimming also.

I am also going to buy a TV next month. I will go for VA Panel.
Please have demo of both(IPS n VA) side by side, you can clearly see the black is far better n darker in VA Model (Deeper black is the heart of TV/Projector).

I hope it might help u in buying decision.

I believe that W900B has an IPS panel and W950 has VA panel.

Last edited:
Nope..... you are assuming wrongly.

I think gp_freak is correct.

W900b has IPS panel and W950c has VA panel.

I tried pressing a bit on the screen of W900b. It behaved the same way as LG panels behave(i.e impression on the screen is not there or it recovers quickly. this is the test which LG publicizes on it's site.). Whereas for W950c , u could see the impression though it recovers too.

Regarding the viewing angle: I think Sony is playing with the words here. I read that IPS panels have wide viewing angle but the way Sony has mentioned the spec's is confusing.
Quoting what music4mhell mentioned:
950C :

900B:
Viewing Angle 89 (Right/Left), 89 (Up/Down):
Here, standing at the center, 89 degrees to left and 89 degrees to right sum up to 178 degrees right-left which is the same mentioned for w950c.
Not sure but I think it's just rephrasing of the words (using right/left and right to left.

For me, few things going in favour of w950c are: 3D being active(I prefer passive though) is viewable in Full HD and can connect external bluetooth device like keyboard to type in the browser. I am not aware how good/bad is the browser in W900b.

For once I thought of buying a 50" W900b(almost at price of 43" w950c) and if required add an extra android or upcoming apple tv box which handles all the functionality of smart viewing. this way TV will be used for it's superb display quality and smart functionality dedicated to add-on box. Disadvantage is an extra add-on box(family members do not want extra boxes :( )

Pretty confused now.

Any suggestions ?

I believe that W900B has an IPS panel and W950 has VA panel.

You are right buddy.

How come an IPS panel give only 90 degree viewing angle ?

You can make out the answer if you read the specs again very carefully :p

950C :

900B:

Viewing Angle 178 (Right to Left), 178 (Up to Down) and Viewing Angle 89 (Right/Left), 89 (Up/Down) are both the same specs, but read out differently.

178 is when you move from left to right or right to left.
89 is when you move from centre( sitting perpendicular to the TV) to left or centre to right.

So 89+89 = 178

Apply the same rule for UP to down or Down to up. Hope this clears your doubt.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back