Sony EX-520

seraph

Just bought a Sony Ex-520. TV's great but the only problem is USB connectivity. I wanted to play some HD content from my hard disk,turns out that it only supports FAT32 or everything FAT only ( no NTFS). I mean I went :mad:. My friend has a 22" samsung LED TV and it detects my HD beautifully.No problems there. What the F**K is wrong with Sony.

Anyhow, I want alternatives. Started searching for my Pen Drive but seems like its lost. I have no clue how to play the content.
Options that seem likely -

1) Buy an HDMI and connect my laptop. Seems like the best bet but got confused when looking for cables. This is my first encounter with a big screen TV. So help needed indeed. Links are welcome. Cheap and best will do :D
2) Backup and Format my(1 TB) HD to FAT format and play. Will that in anyway affect my HD? Very time consuming. Don't think I even have the space to create the backup.

Help me with your inputs guys.
Thanks.

I created a separate partition-FAT32 but still it remained undetected. I have a 1 TB Seagate External HDD and only 78 GB is free out of 931 GB. I used a partition manager to create a separate FAT 32 partition but in vain.

I am very very taken aback that I spend so much and a simple facility like playing content from external device is so complicated. Can't really say I am impressed with my decision to for Sony. Should've gone for Samsung.

If you have backup of your content then you can create ex-fat partition..if you select quick format it gonna save time

I created a partition on my external HD of around 20 GB. I changed it to FAT32. Still the USB wasn't detected. I am really in a fix here. I spend money and I don't get a simple feature like USB connectivity???!!! Whats wrong with SONY?

Is the rest of the 1 TB disk not formatted/formatted? also is that drive usb powered or has separate power supply?
I got a seagate 1 TB usb powered drive.I created a 32 gb fat32 partition and rest is formatted in NTFS. This harddisk connects with bravia with no issues.

I created a partition on my external HD of around 20 GB. I changed it to FAT32. Still the USB wasn't detected. I am really in a fix here. I spend money and I don't get a simple feature like USB connectivity???!!! Whats wrong with SONY?
TVs do not have a sophisticated CPU and OS to detect multiple partitions, multiple file systems, etc. The EX520 is also of the older generation (2010, I think), when USB support was still evolving.

And do not not go gung-ho because some others TVs/brands support 1TB or even 2TB disks. The time take to read such (large) disks is very frustrating.

I suggest that you buy a media player to sort out the issue. I know that it is an added expense but at least no more headaches.

EX520 is 2011 model and it supports 32 gb from my 1 tb hdd and also 1 tb exfat partition from 2 tb hdd. It's nothing about cpu and os not being sophisticated but the memory throughput of usb controller chip..everything depends upon that separate chip and its configuration.

Just bought a Sony Ex-520. TV's great but the only problem is USB connectivity. I wanted to play some HD content from my hard disk,turns out that it only supports FAT32 or everything FAT only ( no NTFS). I mean I went :mad:. My friend has a 22" samsung LED TV and it detects my HD beautifully.No problems there. What the F**K is wrong with Sony.

Anyhow, I want alternatives. Started searching for my Pen Drive but seems like its lost. I have no clue how to play the content.
Options that seem likely -

1) Buy an HDMI and connect my laptop. Seems like the best bet but got confused when looking for cables. This is my first encounter with a big screen TV. So help needed indeed. Links are welcome. Cheap and best will do :D
2) Backup and Format my(1 TB) HD to FAT format and play. Will that in anyway affect my HD? Very time consuming. Don't think I even have the space to create the backup.

Help me with your inputs guys.
Thanks.

No need to be heart broken. When it comes to buying TVs, PQ should be the most important deciding factor. Remember there are TVs without even USB playback. The cheapest option is to buy any low cost HDMI cable from ebay and connect it to laptop. A permanent solution is to buy HD media player. These are available from as low as 2K and will play almost any kind of audio and video.

hdmi cable | eBay

hd media player | eBay

Sony is always a wrong choice if you wanna play many formats, they usually suck at everything other than gaming consoles and mp3 players.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

EX520 is 2011 model and it supports 32 gb from my 1 tb hdd and also 1 tb exfat partition from 2 tb hdd. It's nothing about cpu and os not being sophisticated but the memory throughput of usb controller chip..everything depends upon that separate chip and its configuration.

In that case, it is a pathetic TV.

Sony is always a wrong choice if you wanna play many formats, they usually suck at everything other than gaming consoles and mp3 players.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

Is this true?

I usually buy BD's and personally do not download anything. Sometimes some friend gives me something to watch. Generally this is once in a blue moon only.

But most people download stuff and all. It is strange that a company supports restricted disk sizes or file systems, calls itself a premier company and charges premium on its products. If I was part of this group, I will stay away from Ex 520.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

How come it's a pathetic tv..it recognizes 1 tb within max 10 sec..and if some hdd not recognized there may be power issue i.e not enough power to drive the hdd...there are also many issues of tv of all manufacturers that they don't support specific brands like wd and specific model no.
I don't bother much cause I already have a bluray player and mostly I watch blurays and some 1080ps..my tv does the thing perfectly what it suppose to do..display pic and generate sound.

I would expect a 1TB HDD to formatted in NTFS and used for generic all round purpose and not dedicated for TV USB use. If such a drive cannot be recognized or I have to have separate/special partitioning, then it defeats the purpose.

I take back my words "pathetic" and apologize. But I would expect any TV, 2011 and later, costing 50K or above, to support disks formatted with NTFS partitions and at least till 1 TB size. Either support fully or don't support USB at all (if you are picky about piracy and stuff like that).

But exfat is supported in windows 7 so I don't think it's a issue...and a tv not supporting ntfs partition is not a criterion to choose a tv.

But exfat is supported in windows 7 so I don't think it's a issue...and a tv not supporting ntfs partition is not a criterion to choose a tv.
Agreed. "TV not supporting NTFS" should not be a criterion. PQ should be the determining factor. But I maintain that any TV costing 50K or more should support NTFS.

I have the 46" EX-520 and its picture quality is strictly below average.I don't care about the inbuilt media player on any TV.

TV should be bought for the pic quality and the rest are not very important.

I don't get it with sony..started exfat support on tvs from 2011...even they started supporting ntfs in blurays from 2011..even ps3 doesn't support ntfs..they started cinavia protection in their bluray players...still each product does best what it supposed to do.

Even a tv with ntfs support won't play all mp4s,mkvs due to unsupported codec/container version..so if u really want to play all version buy a cheap media player like wdtv/stream using dlna/use a hdmi.

I would expect a 1TB HDD to formatted in NTFS and used for generic all round purpose and not dedicated for TV USB use. If such a drive cannot be recognized or I have to have separate/special partitioning, then it defeats the purpose.

I take back my words "pathetic" and apologize. But I would expect any TV, 2011 and later, costing 50K or above, to support disks formatted with NTFS partitions and at least till 1 TB size. Either support fully or don't support USB at all (if you are picky about piracy and stuff like that).

I don't get it with sony..started exfat support on tvs from 2011...even they started supporting ntfs in blurays from 2011..even ps3 doesn't support ntfs..they started cinavia protection in their bluray players...still each product does best what it supposed to do.

Even a tv with ntfs support won't play all mp4s,mkvs due to unsupported codec/container version..so if u really want to play all version buy a cheap media player like wdtv/stream using dlna/use a hdmi.

This is exactly what I meant by my previous statement. Either support USB completely or don't support it. NTFS is almost a universal standard. Why not support it unconditionally? If supporting DViX why not support MP4, MKV? etc. If concerned about piracy and stuff like that then do not support any external format or even USB.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back