Sony HTiB Speakers with Yamaha AV Reciever

vishant

Hello Guys,

After scanning through this forum for the last 2 days, can't help but appreciate the good work everyone is doing here. I stumbled upon this forum after my current HTiB i.e. Sony BDV E880 conked off a few days ago. Being completely new to this world of AV receivers, Speakers etc. I was blown away to see so many awesome options available in the market today.

I am now planning to spend around Rs.45-55K on a good receiver such as Yamaha RX-V 585 provided my existing Sony speakers be paired with this AV receiver. Is this possible ?

If not, would request suggestion on some pocket friendly speaker options.

Thanks

Attachments

• Sony BDV E880.PNG
    Sony BDV E880.PNG
    92.3 KB · Views: 13
I am afraid that most Sony HTiB Speakers are rated @ 3ohms. You will need at least 4 ohms speakers or above to be paired with any decent AVR. Note the lower the impedance the higher power is needed by the AVR to drive the speakers. Hope this helps.

Looking at power o/p specs @3ohms it looks like the satellite speakers are 3ohms. Most of the Entry/Mid AVR need 6 to 8ohms speakers. So not advisable to connect the low impedence sony speakers to the AVR.

Thanks for the prompt response. I cannot spend more than 20K on speakers, any speakers suggestion below 20K ?

Also, I hope I am taking the right decision by going with Yamaha RX-V 585.

What can I do with the existing sony speakers. Can I buy a new sony dvd player & pair with these speakers. Will it work ?

Last edited:
I am now planning to spend around Rs.45-55K on a good receiver such as Yamaha RX-V 585 provided my existing Sony speakers be paired with this AV receiver. Is this possible ?

Now that there is a compatibility issue you wouldn't be able to reuse your sony speakers with Yamaha..

What would be your revised budget for AVR + speakers?..

Note : If you can't spend more than 55K, there is a possibility to complete a good 5.1 set-up with in your budget..

Now that there is a compatibility issue you wouldn't be able to reuse your sony speakers with Yamaha..

What would be your revised budget for AVR + speakers?..

Note : If you can't spend more than 55K, there is a possibility to complete a good 5.1 set-up with in your budget..

Max. I can spend 65K for AVR+Speakers. Also, What can I do with the existing sony speakers. Can I buy a new sony dvd player & pair with these speakers. Will it work ?

Hello Guys,

After scanning through this forum for the last 2 days, can't help but appreciate the good work everyone is doing here. I stumbled upon this forum after my current HTiB i.e. Sony BDV E880 conked off a few days ago. Being completely new to this world of AV receivers, Speakers etc. I was blown away to see so many awesome options available in the market today.

Thanks
Hi vishant,
Yamaha RX-V 585 supports a minimum 6 ohms speakers only, your all Sony speakers rated 3 ohms only.
From Sony HTIB you have 4 satellite speakers one center and a passive sub
What you can do is....
1. You have to purchase a new Front L+R speaker rated 6 or 8 ohms.
2. You have to connect sony satellite speakers in series (Screenshot given below), Front L with Surround L (3+3=6 ohms) and Front R with Surround R (3+3=6 ohms). Use them as surround left and right speakers.
3. Connect Sony center speaker and passive sub in series (3+3=6 ohms) and use it as a center speaker. You can buy a center speaker later if needed.
4. Purchase a Bluray player, AVR can't play movies through USB. So you need a Bluray player or Android TV box to play movies.
5. Purchase an active sub later.

If you want only 5.1 system and not Atmos then better to go with RX-V485, this way you can save some money to purchase front L+R speakers.
If you want Atmos then got with RX-V585.

I am using Sony HTIB speakers with Yamaha RX-V585 with no issues.

Screenshot_6.jpg

Hi vishant,
Yamaha RX-V 585 supports a minimum 6 ohms speakers only, your all Sony speakers rated 3 ohms only.
From Sony HTIB you have 4 satellite speakers one center and a passive sub
What you can do is....
1. You have to purchase a new Front L+R speaker rated 6 or 8 ohms.
2. You have to connect sony satellite speakers in series (Screenshot given below), Front L with Surround L (3+3=6 ohms) and Front R with Surround R (3+3=6 ohms). Use them as surround left and right speakers.
3. Connect Sony center speaker and passive sub in series (3+3=6 ohms) and use it as a center speaker. You can buy a center speaker later if needed.
4. Purchase a Bluray player, AVR can't play movies through USB. So you need a Bluray player or Android TV box to play movies.
5. Purchase an active sub later.

If you want only 5.1 system and not Atmos then better to go with RX-V485, this way you can save some money to purchase front L+R speakers.
If you want Atmos then got with RX-V585.

I am using Sony HTIB speakers with Yamaha RX-V585 with no issues.

View attachment 29440

Thank you so much for the detailed response. In fact it was after reading your thread on home theater hunt that I decided to go for Yamaha RX-V585. Will give this setup a try.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back