Sony HX850 40" booked

At least it is good to know that you are getting a new replacement without going through an delay. Hope you went for extended warranty ... :cool:

IIRC the extended warranty from Sony can be purchased anytime before the expiry of the standard 1YW which means a bit of cash outflow can be deferred. Of course one then runs the risk of Sony suddenly changing their mind and withdrawing this option.

At least it is good to know that you are getting a new replacement without going through an delay. Hope you went for extended warranty ... :cool:

Didnt get replacement today, but am told will surely get it tomorrow. Now worry is to make sure it is a fresh piece. I didnt go for extended warranty yet, but will do... one can take it any time within the 1st year warranty.

Can we use a bluetooth stereo headset with Sony HX850 or the BDP-HS490 BluRay player? Does anyone know?

Got my TV yesterday, installed the Tata Sky HD box.. results are quite superb. My initial views:

Pros
- Superb hardware, construction
- Great LED, deep blacks, surely matches Panasonic plasmas that I hv been eying for long
- Connected very easily to Internet, firmware updates, widget downloads etc seamless
- Plays off a FAT32 harddisk all video-picture content I have found so far... only negative is it doesnt recognize NTFS - so have to get a new hard disk to store my content
- Viewing HD & 3D content is brilliant.. no flickers or jerks in any way

Cons
- Some standard definition channels like TimesNow look worse now than they did on my Wega 29"
- Sound was better on my Wega 29" - definitely need a soundbar or home theater

Congrats.
Poor SD quality and pathetic sound are common in all flat displays. Don't worry, just enjoy.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

- Plays off a FAT32 harddisk all video-picture content I have found so far... only negative is it doesnt recognize NTFS - so have to get a new hard disk to store my content

The HX850 also recognizes the exFAT filesystem which allows you to have files larger than 2GB which is a FAT32 limitation. You will have to reformat your HDD as exFAT to use this. IIRC, there are a few non-destructive FAT32 to exFAT conversion freeware utilities, but I haven't tried any of them as yet. Test, read reviews etc. before using any of these.

You can also stream via DLNA from computer to the HX850 using Homestream Sony or other DLNA servers.

Some standard definition channels like TimesNow look worse now than they did on my Wega 29"
I noticed that too. I too went from a Sony 29" to a HX850 and strangely CNN-IBN looks as good if not better on the HX850 than on the CRT while Times Now looks horrid on the HX850 but good on the CRT. I put it down to the quirks of my cable feed.

Last edited:
Congrats.
Poor SD quality and pathetic sound are common in all flat displays.

Sorry i respectfully disagree, SD channels look stellar in my plasma, in fact its even better than what i saw in my old 34" CRT.

Got my TV yesterday, installed the Tata Sky HD box.. results are quite superb. My initial views:

Pros
- Superb hardware, construction
- Great LED, deep blacks, surely matches Panasonic plasmas that I hv been eying for long
- Connected very easily to Internet, firmware updates, widget downloads etc seamless
- Viewing HD & 3D content is brilliant.. no flickers or jerks in any way

Cons
- Some standard definition channels like TimesNow look worse now than they did on my Wega 29"
- Sound was better on my Wega 29" - definitely need a soundbar or home theater

Congrats on your purchase. In your free time, please do post the photos and reviews of your TV.

Sorry i respectfully disagree, SD channels look stellar in my plasma, in fact its even better than what i saw in my old 34" CRT.

It depends on what I consider poor and what you consider great. :p And it is relative to HD quality I was commenting on. It also depends on the actual quality of source/ content. But yes, plasmas with good upscaling can be more fluidic so the artifacts don't bother much while watching non-native resolutions.

The HX850 also recognizes the exFAT filesystem which allows you to have files larger than 2GB which is a FAT32 limitation. You will have to reformat your HDD as exFAT to use this.

You can also stream via DLNA from computer to the HX850 using Homestream Sony or other DLNA servers.
Yes, I had to reformat the disk to exFAT to get it recognized. The Sony HX850 TV recognizes far more formats than the Bluray BDP player Sony BDP-S490.

I also setup DLNA disk via my Netgear N600, works superbly well.

Next, I am thinking of adding up:
- A camera for Skype
- A bluetooth headphone
- A keyboard

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Next, I am thinking of adding up:
- A camera for Skype
- A bluetooth headphone
- A keyboard

Any suggestions?

My humble opinion and suggestion - spare yourself the expense.

Skype camera: Rs. 4,500/-
Bluetooth Headphone: Rs. 2,000/- (?)
BT Keyboard: Rs. 1,600/- (?)

A laptop is a much better and convenient alternative.

My humble opinion and suggestion - spare yourself the expense.

Skype camera: Rs. 4,500/-
Bluetooth Headphone: Rs. 2,000/- (?)
BT Keyboard: Rs. 1,600/- (?)

A laptop is a much better and convenient alternative.

:)) I was indeed instead thinking of hooking up a high-end self-assembled gaming PC to my TV.. this is the nature of the geek greed.. expense is indulgence.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back