sony is a winner in Whathifi 2012 awards!

Dirac

As expected sony HX series wins best tv 2012 awards for 40/46/55 inches.
For 60+ inch category panasonic plasma ST series takes the award.:clapping:

Actually there is just one award - TV product of the year and that went to HX850. The others, including ST50 are runners up or best buys in respective categories.

Best 32 inch TV - Sony Bravia 32HX750
Best 46-47 inch TV - Sony Bravia 46HX850
Best 50/52inch TV - Panasonic GT50
Best 55 inch TV - Sony Bravia 55HX850
Best 60+ inch TV - Panasonic 65ST50

Kinda off topic but Sony also won the Bluray player of the year award for BDP-S790.

Congratulations to Sony. 2 TV of the year awards so far for the HX850 :yahoo:

Last edited:
HX853 really deserves the award.In fact it inspired me to change my samsung led and go in for a new 50st50.
I think awards should be according to technology categories.Like "best plasma" and "best led" etc.This would placate both led/lcd and plasma fans.
But ofcourse in such a case panasonic would keep bagging the award for plasmas year after year!.

I shifted from my 46 inch samsung LED to panasonic 50GT50. Was eyeing the 65ST50 however that was not available from the local distributer and the price difference was substantial.

I also thought the 65 incher demands a 4K resolution in order to view it up close.

Oh I wish I could get 950 but surely will be out of budget. Already have to convince my dad to get the 55 850 costing 2lacs as there is nothing cheaper and good at the same time above 55 inches. Haven't seen the 900 series but 850 is a sexy tv.

Oh okay!

950 looks almost the same as 850. Price of the HX950 55 will be about 50k more than 55HX850

Sony_XBR-HX950_Right_620x465.jpg

Guys, please excuse me but I have to tell my honest opinion about HX850 vs ST50.
I spent most of my time at my cousin's place who recently bought a HX850.
I tested it with Denon DBP 2012 and panasonic 220.
Everything is so sweet about this TV.I could not understand why it was sweeter than my samsung 46 led. Now I understood.It is because of deeper blacks(may be because of local dimming).Once you have deeper blacks , the dynamics of the rest of the colors changes I guess!
But one thing I did not like about this TV.White colors were muddy.We tried some changes like increasing the contrast etc(ofcourse I know nothing about calibrating a TV).
Everything is perfect about this TV.But I did miss the WOW factor.This could be because of my personal taste maybe.I asked many times myself and others..why does this tv lack excitement?Why is it dull? Maybe one could calibrate it for his choice of picture quality.
Coming to motion handling, it was superb.But it failed in a downward panning shot in opening scene of chapter 2 of sherlock holmes-2(my reference scene because most of the motion processing can handle horizontal pannung well than vertical ones!),using denon 2012 BDP.Also there was halos/blur observed when objects moved slowly on a slightly dark background.
Ofcourse this could be an issue with my BDP.One needs to have his own reference scenes using his/her own BDP, test a tv with respect to the same.

Now, enter ST50.I did not see the above problems with it.My reference scene was VERY smooth with the same BDP.
And regarding WOW factor....:licklips:

Again, these are my very very personal observations.

Thanks.

Guys, please excuse me but I have to tell my honest opinion about HX850 vs ST50.
Everything is so sweet about this TV.I could not understand why it was sweeter than my samsung 46 led. Now I understood.It is because of deeper blacks(may be because of local dimming).Once you have deeper blacks , the dynamics of the rest of the colors changes I guess!

A general rule of thumb is to look at how dark a panel is when it's off to gauge how black it'll be when it's on.

I do not buy any device which does not have a high PPI, good viewing angle and total pitch black, blacks. I won't take it even if you give it to me free.

My lenovo x220 IPS panel
My Samsung focus S Amoled+ panel
Our HX800 sony led

Blacks should be so black you should not be able to know where a screen ends and where the bezel begins, like this below

samsung-focus-s-hands-on-2.jpg

But one thing I did not like about this TV.White colors were muddy.We tried some changes like increasing the contrast etc(ofcourse I know nothing about calibrating a TV).
Everything is perfect about this TV.But I did miss the WOW factor.This could be because of my personal taste maybe.I asked many times myself and others..why does this tv lack excitement?Why is it dull? Maybe one could calibrate it for his choice of picture quality.
Coming to motion handling, it was superb.But it failed in a downward panning shot in opening scene of chapter 2 of sherlock holmes-2(my reference scene because most of the motion processing can handle horizontal pannung well than vertical ones!),using denon 2012 BDP.Also there was halos/blur observed when objects moved slowly on a slightly dark background.
Ofcourse this could be an issue with my BDP.One needs to have his own reference scenes using his/her own BDP, test a tv with respect to the same.

Now, enter ST50.I did not see the above problems with it.My reference scene was VERY smooth with the same BDP.
And regarding WOW factor....:licklips:

Again, these are my very very personal observations.

Thanks.
This post would be better posted in one of the HX850 threads. However ...

First of all ... not all viewing conditions are same. So one must set the same environment. I mean Sachin Tendulkar scoring a century on WACA, Perth wicket is different than him scoring at, say, Motera Ahemadabad (no respect/disrepect to either venues).

Second is calibration ... the LED TVs are meant for bright light conditions. The other day I was in the Sony brand room at J M Road, Pune. As usual, the setting was on "Vivid" and I changed the setting to "Natural" and was tinkering with brightness, contrast, backlight, etc. on the 55HX850. Now I am not an expert but I think that best black levels in LCD backlit LED panel will be best brought around by adjusting the above three. This will be best set using a calibration disc and not with normal video. The calibration disc contains patterns that allows to set reference blacks and reference whites.

I personally think that ST50 and HX850 are at par on all levels - give or take some wins for each and losses for each. It is only because HX850 is 15K costlier for 4" lesser that tilted the balance for me.

This post would be better posted in one of the HX850 threads. However ...

First of all ... not all viewing conditions are same. So one must set the same environment. I mean Sachin Tendulkar scoring a century on WACA, Perth wicket is different than him scoring at, say, Motera Ahemadabad (no respect/disrepect to either venues).

Second is calibration ... the LED TVs are meant for bright light conditions. The other day I was in the Sony brand room at J M Road, Pune. As usual, the setting was on "Vivid" and I changed the setting to "Natural" and was tinkering with brightness, contrast, backlight, etc. on the 55HX850. Now I am not an expert but I think that best black levels in LCD backlit LED panel will be best brought around by adjusting the above three. This will be best set using a calibration disc and not with normal video. The calibration disc contains patterns that allows to set reference blacks and reference whites.

I personally think that ST50 and HX850 are at par on all levels - give or take some wins for each and losses for each. It is only because HX850 is 15K costlier for 4" lesser that tilted the balance for me.

Thats exactly the point.How can anybody decide between two "on par with each other tvs"?At this point various arbitrary methods of identifying the best tv are employed. For example price to size ratio in your case.
I strongly feel that checking a tv's performance is best done by throwing at it your favourite scene on a bluray. It is a common misconception that settings and calibration are everything.An average consumer can easily differentiate the performance of a display in this way, using out-of-box settings. In say the same "cinema" mode of the two tvs, we can easily identify strengths and weaknessess of the displays.

Thanks.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back