SONY LCDs - S, V & W Series

well i dont know how u find the panasonic pv8 better ,if its in SD content i would agree,but the panasonic does have a lesser ANSI contrast compared to sony lcds be it S,V.the most obvious advantage for the panny plasma is the price.
well sony lcds are consistenly are better then the competition and there are plenty of proof in magazines and review sites,which i have already posted many many times in previous threads,to show the superiority of the sony.

adder,

I will be the first to admit the Sony X series is the best. In fact the only thing that stopped me from going for it was that it cost twice as much. However, the others in the S, V, & W series are with lower contrast ratio and not really comparable to the X series in terms of PQ. It's here that the PV8 scores and you're right, my content is mainly Tata Sky, DVDs, and Divx rips, no HD content so the PV8 absolutely rocks.

adder,

I will be the first to admit the Sony X series is the best. In fact the only thing that stopped me from going for it was that it cost twice as much. However, the others in the S, V, & W series are with lower contrast ratio and not really comparable to the X series in terms of PQ. It's here that the PV8 scores and you're right, my content is mainly Tata Sky, DVDs, and Divx rips, no HD content so the PV8 absolutely rocks.

Just to get everyone back on track. Why are discussing SONY X series & Plasmas?? They may be miles better, but that is not the focus of discussion here.

Please look at the title of the thread. Discussion should be centred on SONY S, V & W (32") LCDs (HD Ready) and comparing these with competitions in the SAME price range!

adder,

only plasma that can match the contrast levels of sony W,V,S series in 40inch segement are the pioneer kuro and yet to be released PY800 plasmas from panasonic.S,V,W 40inch lcds all use the same panel but the W series uses a different backlight which gives it a 10%contrast advantage compared to S,V series.

@GeoTracks
the best lcd in 32inch segment is W series,followed by samsung series 6 32inch.
the V,S perform better in SD compared to the above models W series,6 series and series 5.
situtation when FHD might matter lets say u are gaming and u are using split screen CO-OP mode or Vs mode in games such as HALO,since the 32inch TV screen is split into 2 smaller screens,u may now possibly sit a bit closer to the tvs due to the reduced size of the picture,so u may benefit from FHD,only at a distance of 4 feet or less u will benefit from FHD,and any more then that even 2inches farer i can guarantee that even the best of the pros cannot differentiate in a 32inch tv.
in the end its upto which of theses tvs + points and -points benefit to u.
if i where u i would give a FHD tv in 32inch a miss unless i sit realy close at viewing distances mentioned above.also in a 32inch at a distance of 13feet or more u cannot even differentiate b/w SD,HD let alone FHD.

@GeoTracks
the best lcd in 32inch segment is W series,followed by samsung series 6 32inch.

if i where u i would give a FHD tv in 32inch a miss unless i sit realy close at viewing distances mentioned above.also in a 32inch at a distance of 13feet or more u cannot even differentiate b/w SD,HD let alone FHD.

Plan to watch just regular Tata Sky Dish TV and regular DVDs. Not into gaming and do not plan to use it as a PC screen, hence no question of viewing from close distance. Viewing distance is about 8' to 12'. No thoughts of purchasing any Blu-ray player etc.

With these requirements, if I understand right, suggestion is that even if a Full HD, greater than 32" (non-SONY) is fitting in my budget, suggestion is to go for HD Ready SONY (32") or Full HD SONY 32" W series?

I would like to say something about SONY brand. We had a Made in Japan sony TV (mid 80's). lasted 20 years with very good picture quality. It had auto tuning function with 30 chaanels.

We bought sony music sytem LBT-A20k in early 90's with remote control. CD player was optional, so we did not have it. But the sound quality from cassetes was as good as CD sound. CD recordings on TDK cassetes was superb.

I also had sony cassete and Cd walkman.

All the above are now history.

Now I have Sony DRC-MF 29" TV, sony DVD player and music system

My experience with sony has always been good.

These days sony sells some low priced products with mediocre perfomance.(specially in south asia)

If you choose correct sony product( you should be selective about model no) you are always going to get good things from sony

well have u heard of WD HD player it know to play MKV files and it costs about 7k*.
well i have used a 26inch lcd as a monitor and it was not good for my eyes,i have used a friends 28inch lcd monitor from viewsonic which has a resolution of 1920x1200 and it was a whole lot better,dont forget there are many people who use 30inch lcd monitors at 2 feet.

well just because sony advertizes it as SPVA doesnt mean they use a SPVA a article written at display seach or digitimes not sure which one confirmed that sony has order a large number of lcds from AU optronics,the T series is a replacement for U series.the author of that article mentioned that the low end sony lcds uses AMVA panels.while SPVA are reserved for high end.

dell lcd monitors its 2007wfp model became popular because it had a IPS panel but slowly they started to use SPVA panel,and samsung lcds monitor can have any type of VA based panel ,mostly the worst i.e CMO based SMVA are dumped in asian countries ,to a lesser extent in europe most of samsung 32inch tv have cmo panel in india except for the high end series 6.
while samsung is know to use CMO panels in series 5 and below ,samsung and sony have a 50:50 jv in developing the S lcd ,sonys market share is small compared to samsung,so to keep up with the demand samsung usualy dumps tvs with CMO panel SMVA tech in asian countries except japan,korea.
while sony uses AMVA panel in low end lcds.the samsung and sony SPVA panel SUPPLY is less then demand,so samsung to larger extent is forced to use CMO panels while sony whose market share is less, uses AMVA panels to a lesser extent.
also sony W series and samsung series 6 for sure use the same SPVA panel yet sony has the contrast advantage reason being sony uses a proprietary backlight to boost the contrast.so if the T series is advertized has 1800:1 just because the S series has the same advertized contrast doesnt mean they use the same panel.
in 2007 the low end sony 32inch U series used a AMVA panel and was advertized has 1500:1 contrast ,at the same time the sony 32inch S310A,V300A had a contrast of 1600:1 even though samsung S plant advertized it has having 1200:1, how was sony V,S series able to achive the contrast advantage compared to samsung and sony U series ,the answer by using the proprietary backlight.
and finaly u can for sure see the difference b/w sony 32inch T and sony 32inch S in showrooms urself.:)

thanks for the info. do you know if the player you're talking about which plays mkv is available in India? where can i get it?

oh well, i had compared the 26" S and T series and after intense examinations and testing with black and white pictures as well, i concluded that the S and the T series 26" models have the same contrasts and same coloring pattern. infact they have exactly the same scalers, as a result a DVD appears similar in both the TVs. i have also heard of the fact that sony and samsung dumps its CMO and AMVA panels in India. But to be frank, sony isnt clear at all about what panel it uses in what model. One thing is for sure, if you buy a Sony 32" Full HD LCD, and onwards, you're sure to get an SPVA, however for 26" range the jury is still out.

Plan to watch just regular Tata Sky Dish TV and regular DVDs. Not into gaming and do not plan to use it as a PC screen, hence no question of viewing from close distance. Viewing distance is about 8' to 12'. No thoughts of purchasing any Blu-ray player etc.

With these requirements, if I understand right, suggestion is that even if a Full HD, greater than 32" (non-SONY) is fitting in my budget, suggestion is to go for HD Ready SONY (32") or Full HD SONY 32" W series?

well for ur viewing distance and content u can for a HD model,like S or V series,but considering ur viewing distance could be as high 12 feet and if u want to go the LCD way u should look for bigger size tvs like a 37inch lcd like sony S series.

and also considering that u are only going to watch only SD and no plans for a blu ray player,gaming etc i strongly suggest u look at plasma option as well.

well for ur viewing distance and content u can for a HD model,like S or V series,but considering ur viewing distance could be as high 12 feet and if u want to go the LCD way u should look for bigger size tvs like a 37inch lcd like sony S series.

and also considering that u are only going to watch only SD and no plans for a blu ray player,gaming etc i strongly suggest u look at plasma option as well.

Exactly my point of discussion.

The 37" S Series SONY is approx. as much in price as the SAMSUNG 37" 5 Series. The SONY is not Full HD, does not have a USB and Motionflow. If the price is about the same then why not the SAMSUNG 5 Series which has all the above - i.e. is Full HD, has a USB and Movie Play (equivalent to Motion Flow)?
Moreover the SAMSUNG 5 series has excellent reviews in many places.

Exactly my point of discussion.

The 37" S Series SONY is approx. as much in price as the SAMSUNG 37" 5 Series. The SONY is not Full HD, does not have a USB and Motionflow. If the price is about the same then why not the SAMSUNG 5 Series which has all the above - i.e. is Full HD, has a USB and Movie Play (equivalent to Motion Flow)?
Moreover the SAMSUNG 5 series has excellent reviews in many places.

well the samsung 37inch has a CMO panel which is inferior to the sony 37inch which has a AU panel.
and BTW series 5 doesnt have 100hz motion flow it only starts from series 6 that to only from 40inch upwards.

well the samsung 37inch has a CMO panel which is inferior to the sony 37inch which has a AU panel.
and BTW series 5 doesnt have 100hz motion flow it only starts from series 6 that to only from 40inch upwards.

Just curious, but where is all this info about which manufacturer for what size uses which panels (CMO, AU etc.)? The respective websites do not talk about all this in the specs sections.

Just curious, but where is all this info about which manufacturer for what size uses which panels (CMO, AU etc.)? The respective websites do not talk about all this in the specs sections.

well i have a few subscription in websites that concentrate on the semiconductors,manufactures orders list like which company is buying from which,some sites are digitimes.
also from my own work taking a powerfull LED torch with CREE LED bulbs,u can see the sticker located inside the tvs like samsung xxxxxxxxxx korea ,AU optronics in sony lcd which have reasonable size air vents.in samsung earlier they used to denote the letter S for samsung and C for cmo,from my own findings from various showrooms in chennai and bangalore,grey markets not a single 32inch samsung tv in 2007 had a S panel all the tvs had a C panel.in europe and US customers came to know about this and started returing their tvs,so samsung stopped using the sticker sign in late 2007 when they launched series 4,5,6.u can google and know about samsung usuage C,S panels.
u can also check out CMO,AU optronic and samsung semiconductor website to know some rough figure about spec,do note some manufacture post the DYNAMIC contrast only samsung semiconductors post the static contrast acheived in laboratory testing at the highest backlights outhere,and samsung doesnt manufacture a 37inch lcd.
also i have been following lcd and plasma tech from 2003.:)

I have a Sony 32" W series TV, and I can vouch for its PQ, especially with SD from a digital cable STB! My friends have Samsung 6, Sony V, Sony T, LG jaaz, all 32 inches and none of them come closer to my TV... cannot rule out the possibility that my cablewallah provides better signal.. but for sure, with respect to clarity, details, colours, I can feel a very clear difference.
In fact I used to be a Sony-hater after having very bad experiences with a handycam, a CD player and a clock radio! I went to the shop with a decision to not even consider a Sony, decided to buy a Samsung 5... but could not resist the clear diff I saw in the shop (may be custom settings at the shop.. but the diff was obviously there to see!)

well it is available check out ur local dealer or order online in here
Western Digital HD Media Player - Lynx Chandigarh Largest Electronic & Computer Superstore

Sorry for hijacking the thread... just a question to Adder since he mentined it in this thread...

Any feedback on buying from this site? I am looking for buying one, but noboby in Bangalore seems to know of this product! And eBay prices are not very reasonable, considering that you do not get manufacturer warranty.

Last edited:
Sorry for hijacking the thread... just a question to Adder since he mentined it in this thread...

Any feedback on buying from this site? I am looking for buying one, but noboby in Bangalore seems to know of this product! And eBay prices are not very reasonable, considering that you do not get manufacturer warranty.

well he is a good seller ,havent bought any stuff from him myself but my friend had bought a gigabyte Mobo and processor no issues and he was very responsive.nowdays hate going to SP road with all the traffic and wouldnt go now thanks to the scorching sun.:eek:

anyway i myself am thinking of buying it but i am waiting until nvidia ion is launched so that it can be my 24x7 download machine and media centre pc.
and someother low power consumption devices that can download from BTor.;)

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back