SONY LCDs - S, V & W Series

GeoTracks

While looking for LCDs, read in forums & talked to salesmen in Reliance Digital & EZone about manufacturing, quality & costs of SONYs SAMSUNGs & LGs units. Understanding is that SAMSUNGs & LGs are manufactured in India (hence cost a bit less than SONY counterparts), while ALL the SONY units come directly assembled from Malaysia. Understand that currently all these 3 brands mentioned here make very good LCDs. Ultimately it comes down to individual preference while making final purchase and, for many, primary pivoting factor in making the final choice is around budget and the deal going on (if any) at the time of purchase.

With the way SONY has been advertising for its BRAVIA technology and higher attention to quality & detail, is there any difference in the SONY LCD units for S, V & W series that are sold in India versus those sold in the US and other countries (apart from the voltage)? General observation is that, similar size (32, 40 etc.) S, V & W series sold in the US are a lot less expensive than compared to in India (OK, understand that the cost difference may be due to the import duty being passed on to customers in India). But, more importantly, do the units that are shipped to India go under the same QA / QC check rigor (same assembly line) as those in the US? Anyone researched this aspect? Comments?

GeoTracks,

QC is broadly imposed at a corporate level which very minor customizations to local markets. So the quality of Samsungs made in India should not differ very much from those that are made elsewhere. When I used to live in the US my Samsung plasma was made in Mexico. There was a particular batch that had lots of issues though luckily mine was not part of it. I am raising the point to make you aware that bad batches are not particular to a geography.

Re: Sony's, they are excellent LCD tvs and you would be happy with them either. however don't fall prey to 'made in malaysia' implying better quality.

Re: pricing, the TVs in US are cheap because of manufacturing efficiencies, competition, govt. tax credits and volume sales benefits and whole host of other reasons.
You should be happy with Sony or Samsung. I am not a particular fan of LG due to quality and warranty honour issues.

While looking for LCDs, read in forums & talked to salesmen in Reliance Digital & EZone about manufacturing, quality & costs of SONYs SAMSUNGs & LGs units. Understanding is that SAMSUNGs & LGs are manufactured in India (hence cost a bit less than SONY counterparts), while ALL the SONY units come directly assembled from Malaysia. Understand that currently all these 3 brands mentioned here make very good LCDs. Ultimately it comes down to individual preference while making final purchase and, for many, primary pivoting factor in making the final choice is around budget and the deal going on (if any) at the time of purchase.

With the way SONY has been advertising for its BRAVIA technology and higher attention to quality & detail, is there any difference in the SONY LCD units for S, V & W series that are sold in India versus those sold in the US and other countries (apart from the voltage)? General observation is that, similar size (32, 40 etc.) S, V & W series sold in the US are a lot less expensive than compared to in India (OK, understand that the cost difference may be due to the import duty being passed on to customers in India). But, more importantly, do the units that are shipped to India go under the same QA / QC check rigor (same assembly line) as those in the US? Anyone researched this aspect? Comments?

well sony lcds that are sold in india are either assembled in malaysia or thailand.the LCD are however bought in S.korea which is where samsung manufactures its lcd.the tvs are only assembled in malaysia,thailand.

samsung and lg also just assemble tvs in india,but as far as quality control of samsung goes its a different story,samsung dumps tvs with CMO panel in asian countries except japan,especialy in 32inch segment,while they for sure use a cmo panel in 37inch since samsung doesnt manufacture a 37inch panel themself.while sony uses a AU panel in its 37inch S400A which is still better then the CMO panel.sony does use AU panel in 32inch segement but only in lowend series like U,T,M series.while S,V,W series use a SPVA samsung panel except the 37inch version and in the USA the 42inch version which again uses a AU optronics,the AU panel which uses AMVA tech and samsung SPVA tech are similar in performance ,but briefly in 2007 the AMVA panels exceeded the contrast of SPVA panel.
just do a google search for samsung panel lottery.u will know the truth.samsung continues to dump lcd tvs with CMO panel ,while their lcd monitors have CMO,AU or Samsung panel.
in the bordeux range of samsung lcds which was available in 2006 and till mid 2007,samsung used to have a letter C printed in the sticker located at the rear of the tvs ,but withdrew this when customers in europe begin to return their tvs once they came to know about samsung dumping CMO panel tvs,from late 2007 when samsung started to launch series 4,5,6 they removed the letter located at the sticker.

well sony lcds that are sold in india are either assembled in malaysia or thailand.the LCD are however bought in S.korea which is where samsung manufactures its lcd.the tvs are only assembled in malaysia,thailand.

Here is another twist. Feb. 2008 articles speaks about SONY panels are now Japanese, purchased from SHARP, Japan.

Sony Jilts Samsung For Sharp In LCD Panel Production - Forbes.com

Sony, Sharp to set up large LCD joint venture - Companies * Asia * News * Story - CNBC.com

If it is SHARP panels that SONY uses now, that must be very nice. Many on this forum and others, have mentioned that they really liked the SHARP LCD TVs while seeing demos in comparison with SONYs & SAMSUNGs, but were hesitant only because they were not sure of after sales support for SHARP LCDs in India.

Now with SHARP panels and SONY quality, wonder how the current SONYs sold in India would rate against the SAMSUNGs & LGs that are manufactured in India.

Which brings me back to the original question. If Malaysia IS THE hub for distribution of worldwide SONY LCDs, do the units being sent to India come from the same assembly line (with SHARP LCDs] as those that go to the US and other countries?

How would we know that the S, V & W series of SONYs being sold in India have SHARP panels?

Last edited:
Here is another twist. Feb. 2008 articles speaks about SONY panels are now Japanese, purchased from SHARP, Japan.

Sony Jilts Samsung For Sharp In LCD Panel Production - Forbes.com

Sony, Sharp to set up large LCD joint venture - Companies * Asia * News * Story - CNBC.com

If it is SHARP panels that SONY uses now, that must be very nice. Many on this forum and others, have mentioned that they really liked the SHARP LCD TVs while seeing demos in comparison with SONYs & SAMSUNGs, but were hesitant only because they were not sure of after sales support for SHARP LCDs in India.

Now with SHARP panels and SONY quality, wonder how the current SONYs sold in India would rate against the SAMSUNGs & LGs that are manufactured in India.

Which brings me back to the original question. If Malaysia IS THE hub for distribution of worldwide SONY LCDs, do the units being sent to India come from the same assembly line (with SHARP LCDs] as those that go to the US and other countries?

How would we know that the S, V & W series of SONYs being sold in India have SHARP panels?

well the sharp lcds in sony wont be a reality until 2010 or after when sony and sharp start building them in their new 10g plant.
well as far as the technology sharp uses ASV tech which is kind a all rounder.they have good contrast in 2006 had a contrast levels 50% higher then any other brand,but now days samsung SPVA tech have surpassed it,and AU optronics AMVA tech as caught up,but with sony pouring money into the 10g plant and sharp and sony may very well up some contrast,since if sony wishes to continue to take the performance crown in lcds they need good lcd panels.and sony will be happier parternering with a japanese manufactuer, then samsung which is a korean company and a formidable rival.

well sony lcds that are sold in india are either assembled in malaysia or thailand.the LCD are however bought in S.korea which is where samsung manufactures its lcd.the tvs are only assembled in malaysia,thailand....

I believe Samsung shifted their manufacturing facility for LCD from Noida to Sriperumbadur in 07.

Read an article today that speaks about SONY bringing 120Hz Motionflow technology to S, V & L series.

Sony brings 120Hz Motionflow, BRAVIA Engine 2 to lower-end V-, S-, and L-series HDTVs - Engadget HD

None of the current S, V and for that matter W (32") series SONY LCDs sold in India have MotionFlow & USB.

With a budget of around Rs. 50K +- 5K, the only SONYs fitting in my budget taht I am considering are, SONY 32" V series, SONY 32" W series and SONY 37" S series. But other than the W series, none are Full HD. Moreover, none of these SONYs have Motionflow. They do not even have a USB, which the new models of these same series will have. The article link above clearly says that the new SONY model WILL HAVE MotionFlow AND ALL are Full HD. This clearly indicates that if the above mentioned SONYs are purchased currently in India, they would be soon out dated. One would pay Rs. 50K and may not get a Full HD (except W series) and certainly not MotionFlow and a USB port. Whether a USB is really important is a different discussion, but point being made is that at least it is available, if needed.

In addition to the SONYs I am also still considering SAMSUNG 5 series as possible choice.

Wouldn't the SAMSUNG 5 series which gives; (i) "Movie Plus" (equivalent of SONY's MotionFlow), (ii) has a USB and (iii) is a Full HD, be a better buy at this time (in terms of both cost & features)?

Looks like SONY is finally realized that they need to give options of Full HD, USB & MotionFlow to their S, V & W series too, to be comparable to competition.

Read an article today that speaks about SONY bringing 120Hz Motionflow technology to S, V & L series.

Sony brings 120Hz Motionflow, BRAVIA Engine 2 to lower-end V-, S-, and L-series HDTVs - Engadget HD

None of the current S, V and for that matter W (32") series SONY LCDs sold in India have MotionFlow & USB.

With a budget of around Rs. 50K +- 5K, the only SONYs fitting in my budget taht I am considering are, SONY 32" V series, SONY 32" W series and SONY 37" S series. But other than the W series, none are Full HD. Moreover, none of these SONYs have Motionflow. They do not even have a USB, which the new models of these same series will have. The article link above clearly says that the new SONY model WILL HAVE MotionFlow AND ALL are Full HD. This clearly indicates that if the above mentioned SONYs are purchased currently in India, they would be soon out dated. One would pay Rs. 50K and may not get a Full HD (except W series) and certainly not MotionFlow and a USB port. Whether a USB is really important is a different discussion, but point being made is that at least it is available, if needed.

In addition to the SONYs I am also still considering SAMSUNG 5 series as possible choice.

Wouldn't the SAMSUNG 5 series which gives; (i) "Movie Plus" (equivalent of SONY's MotionFlow), (ii) has a USB and (iii) is a Full HD, be a better buy at this time (in terms of both cost & features)?

Looks like SONY is finally realized that they need to give options of Full HD, USB & MotionFlow to their S, V & W series too, to be comparable to competition.

well in 32inch u dont need FHD unless u sit really close and use it has a monitor.
well sony will be launching new tvs with bravia engine 3 and motion flow later this year,but thats a long time away around august.well if u go by the wait and purchace rule u will always be waiting,by the time u go by the new models in india,the next generation tvs will be announced in european and US markets.

even samsung will get new models since series 5 was there since a long time.
and the series 5 doesnt have 100hz only the series 6 from 40inch onwards have them.

well if u go by the wait and purchace rule u will always be waiting,by the time u go by the new models in india,the next generation tvs will be announced in european and US markets.

i completely agree with u. by the time sony announces bravia engine 3, OLEDs will be making their way into India, and as we all know, OLEDs are way better than LCDs in nearly all departments. So, if anyone wants to wait, wait for an OLED. no use waiting for LCDs now. They'll soon become passe!

and dont expect bravia engine 3 to come to India very soon, as far as I know, Sony has just a whole new range of campaigns lined up for its Bravia Engine 2 Pro, so considering that fact, I really dont think Bravia Engine 3 will be around the corner very soon. It will be launched in the US markets later this year, but dont expect it to hit India until early next year.

Last edited:
Believe point is missed here. Not indicating if, 'is it worth waiting'. Agree with both, that 'wait' is not really the way to go.

Again, understand the point about 'being close to the Screen for 32" ...does not really matter....Full HD or not...'.

However, the question to ask is, given the fact that nearly all LCD manufactures are now going the Full HD route in time to come, is it really worth considering SONY 32" V series, 37" S series at this time, since they are not Full HD?

Wouldn't LCDs like SAMSUNG 5 series or others comparable (be it LG, Panasonic etc.) be a natural way to go at this time, considering for the mentioned budget, these give Full HD, which anyways is going to be the norm soon to come?

Question is simple, should SONY HD Ready LCD be considered AT THIS TIME just because it is a 'SONY' or is it more desirable to look at other non-SONY options which are Full HD, have USB & Movie Plus (equivalent of SONY's MotionFlow)?

Believe point is missed here. Not indicating if, 'is it worth waiting'. Agree with both, that 'wait' is not really the way to go.

Again, understand the point about 'being close to the Screen for 32" ...does not really matter....Full HD or not...'.

However, the question to ask is, given the fact that nearly all LCD manufactures are now going the Full HD route in time to come, is it really worth considering SONY 32" V series, 37" S series at this time, since they are not Full HD?

Wouldn't LCDs like SAMSUNG 5 series or others comparable (be it LG, Panasonic etc.) be a natural way to go at this time, considering for the mentioned budget, these give Full HD, which anyways is going to be the norm soon to come?

Question is simple, should SONY HD Ready LCD be considered AT THIS TIME just because it is a 'SONY' or is it more desirable to look at other non-SONY options which are Full HD, have USB & Movie Plus (equivalent of SONY's MotionFlow)?

agreed. but we dont have any HD sources! Blu-Ray disc prices are over the top, even DVDs arent really very cheap. HD transmission on TV seems a dream many years away.

To be frank, by the time India become a "Full HD compatible country" (so to speak), when HD content becomes popular in India, believe me, it'll be time for you to change your TV set. Because people would be going crazy over OLEDs and TV sets with far advanced technologies will be in vogue than what is available now. Although I have bought a 26" HD Ready Sony LCD, thats purely for playing DVDs, I dont have a BD player and dont think the prices would come down to allow me to buy one, at least not in the recent future! (please consider what you'll be playing on your Full HD TV! it'll be normal DVD, and at the most a DTH with 576i resolution, now thats not what you'd call HD, would you?)

And by the way, I hear that 26" is not enough size for a viewer to appreciate the difference between full HD and HD ready. and also, I hear that under 40", there's not much point going in for a full HD tv. I would like you to verify these facts.
Thanks.

Last edited:

well just because its a sony doesnt mean its the best ,agreed they have introduced many ground breaking tech,but in lcds sony has come a longway,when many other manufacturers had introduced lcds and plasma,sony still believed that people would still prefer the performance of their trinitron crts vs the size and fashion statement of lcds and plasma,but they were wrong, sony doesnt make their own lcds,they rushed and made a deal with samsung in 2003 to use their lcds,but sony didnt win any performance crown,at that time not only were they average in performance but more expensive then others,at that time sony just used a slightly tweaked WEGA engine tech in their lcds and had a PVA panel which was actualy ment for crts,at that time sharp was the leader in performance and sales.but in late 2005 sony made the BRAVIA engine(Best Resolution Audio Video Integrated Architecture)this processing tech was tailor made for lcds along with the introdcuction of SPVA panel ,made them take the performance crown and became NO 1 in sales, despite having the price premium.but lately manufactures like samsung have improvded the image processing and quality of their tvs and took over the lead in sales,despite sony still having the performance edge,being a japanese manufacturer sony couldnt match the price of its korean rival.but does the sony have the edge in performance the answer is YES,its upto the customer whether he or she is willing to pay that extra amount for the gain in performance.most of the time in reviews the only neagative they add is the price or the sound which they say doesnt give the same way as the class leading picture quality.

again about FHD or not it all depends on ur viewing distance,but FHD tvs do perform a bit bad compared HD tvs when fed with a SD signal.some exception are premium FHD tvs like sony X series and samsung series 8,9.

@frnd08
well OLED tvs wont be a reality in the mainstream market until 2012,even then they will have a high pricepremium over lcds .
and once again people who sit around 2 feet or use it has a monitor,will definetly appreciate a FHD in a 26inch.
and FHD content is already available in the net but thats a different story.;)

Last edited:
To be frank, by the time India become a "Full HD compatible country" (so to speak), when HD content becomes popular in India, believe me, it'll be time for you to change your TV set. Because people would be going crazy over OLEDs and TV sets with far advanced technologies will be in vogue than what is available now.

Probably I have not been able to phrase my thoughts clearly. Let me try once more:

If someone has budgeted Rs. Y and decided to purchase a LCD TV in the next few weeks
AND
if the choice is between HD Ready SONY (S or V series)
[because of points like adder has mentioned, "....but does the sony have the edge in performance the answer is YES,its upto the customer whether he or she is willing to pay that extra amount for the gain in performance...."]
VERSUS
Full HD non-Sony
[again, because of points like adder has mentioned, "....but lately manufactures like samsung have improvded the image processing and quality of their tvs and took over the lead in sales,despite sony still having the performance edge...."],
AND
IF the LCDs are 'approximately' the 'same' price range,

then, which one should be considered a 'best buy' TODAY [HD SONY or Full HD Non-SONY]?

Personal preference today is for a SONY LCD, but given the above situation (Rs. Y budget case), I'd tend to settle for a non-SONY, just because there is bigger bang for the buck. Of course one could argue, wait a bit longer for prices to come down OR spend a little more than Rs. Y and go in for a Full HD SONY, but this is besides the point.

Understand that it may be a mixed poll, but would be interesting to see the distribution of the poll in this thread.

@frnd08
well OLED tvs wont be a reality in the mainstream market until 2012,even then they will have a high pricepremium over lcds .
and once again people who sit around 2 feet or use it has a monitor,will definetly appreciate a FHD in a 26inch.
and FHD content is already available in the net but thats a different story.;)

yup its available, i know that! ;)

but its in mkv format! how will you play it on your LCD bcoz you wont be getting to play the file on your DVD player. And even if you manage to connect your LCD to your PC, how will you make sure that all the codecs (as MKV is a container) are properly decoded, the DVD player makes the process a whole lot simpler and better. so, unless we have Blu-Ray Disc Burners/Writers as well as Blu-Ray blank discs widely available, even having Blu-Ray content wont make any difference at all! unfortunately... :( (think about the problem of backing up your movies when one mkv file could easily go up to around 25gb! no dvd will help you there, you need blank Blu-Ray discs which simply arent available.)

pal, do you really think anyone sitting at a distance of "two" feet would be able to appreciate the difference between Full HD and HD Ready on a 26"? Dont think so, the distance will blur your eyes! seriously, 2 feet! I'll go blind in a week, if I do that! :D

BTW, I confirmed something today, all models of sony bravia 2 lcds are having S-PVA panels. others panels have long since been discontinued.
if you wanna check it, just check out the stats on www.sony.co.in
the 26",32" S as well as T series models has "exactly" the same "PANEL contrast ratio" of 1800:1. If it was AMVA, it should've been somewhere around 1300:1.

Last edited:
GeoTracks,

I am a little confused here. If its really VFM and best bang for the buck you are looking for then the clear winner is Panasonic PV8 Plasma TV. Nothing else in the LCD/Plasma range comes close to it in terms of PQ, VFM, 42" screen size, etc.

If its really Sony your heart is set on then the X series is the way to go. They are just way ahead of the pack in terms of PQ and cost too. Samsung/LG etc. are not really VFM anyway you look at it.

GeoTracks,

I am a little confused here. If its really VFM and best bang for the buck you are looking for then the clear winner is Panasonic PV8 Plasma TV. Nothing else in the LCD/Plasma range comes close to it in terms of PQ, VFM, 42" screen size, etc.

If its really Sony your heart is set on then the X series is the way to go. They are just way ahead of the pack in terms of PQ and cost too. Samsung/LG etc. are not really VFM anyway you look at it.

Points missed again:
(i) Plasma: No go. Focus ONLY on LCDs for now
(ii) SONY X series: No go. Price way above budget

Points missed again:
(i) Plasma: No go. Focus ONLY on LCDs for now
(ii) SONY X series: No go. Price way above budget

Then its not really VFM or best bang for the buck you are looking for. My brother has the V series 32" from Sony and my Panasonic PV8 absolutely crushes it in terms of PQ. Also, the 32" LCD Sony costs as much as the 42" Plasma Panasonic TV.

If its Sony then only the X series or the newly launched Z series make sense. Otherwise don't even bother with Sony. You will only end up paying a lot more for no features and no great PQ either. There is/was one model in W series 32" that was available for 33K from Singapore that we got that can be termed VFM, but otherwise none in the S, V and W series from Sony. Really bottom of the barrel kind of stuff in the lower segment from Sony.

yup its available, i know that! ;)

how will you make sure that all the codecs (as MKV is a container) are properly decoded, the DVD player makes the process a whole lot simpler and better. so, unless we have Blu-Ray Disc Burners/Writers as well as Blu-Ray blank discs widely available, even having Blu-Ray content wont make any difference at all! unfortunately... :( (think about the problem of backing up your movies when one mkv file could easily go up to around 25gb! no dvd will help you there, you need blank Blu-Ray discs which simply arent available.)

pal, do you really think anyone sitting at a distance of "two" feet would be able to appreciate the difference between Full HD and HD Ready on a 26"? Dont think so, the distance will blur your eyes! seriously, 2 feet! I'll go blind in a week, if I do that! :D

BTW, I confirmed something today, all models of sony bravia 2 lcds are having S-PVA panels. others panels have long since been discontinued.
if you wanna check it, just check out the stats on Sony India
the 26",32" S as well as T series models has "exactly" the same "PANEL contrast ratio" of 1800:1. If it was AMVA, it should've been somewhere around 1300:1.

well have u heard of WD HD player it know to play MKV files and it costs about 7k*.
well i have used a 26inch lcd as a monitor and it was not good for my eyes,i have used a friends 28inch lcd monitor from viewsonic which has a resolution of 1920x1200 and it was a whole lot better,dont forget there are many people who use 30inch lcd monitors at 2 feet.

well just because sony advertizes it as SPVA doesnt mean they use a SPVA a article written at display seach or digitimes not sure which one confirmed that sony has order a large number of lcds from AU optronics,the T series is a replacement for U series.the author of that article mentioned that the low end sony lcds uses AMVA panels.while SPVA are reserved for high end.

dell lcd monitors its 2007wfp model became popular because it had a IPS panel but slowly they started to use SPVA panel,and samsung lcds monitor can have any type of VA based panel ,mostly the worst i.e CMO based SMVA are dumped in asian countries ,to a lesser extent in europe most of samsung 32inch tv have cmo panel in india except for the high end series 6.
while samsung is know to use CMO panels in series 5 and below ,samsung and sony have a 50:50 jv in developing the S lcd ,sonys market share is small compared to samsung,so to keep up with the demand samsung usualy dumps tvs with CMO panel SMVA tech in asian countries except japan,korea.
while sony uses AMVA panel in low end lcds.the samsung and sony SPVA panel SUPPLY is less then demand,so samsung to larger extent is forced to use CMO panels while sony whose market share is less, uses AMVA panels to a lesser extent.
also sony W series and samsung series 6 for sure use the same SPVA panel yet sony has the contrast advantage reason being sony uses a proprietary backlight to boost the contrast.so if the T series is advertized has 1800:1 just because the S series has the same advertized contrast doesnt mean they use the same panel.
in 2007 the low end sony 32inch U series used a AMVA panel and was advertized has 1500:1 contrast ,at the same time the sony 32inch S310A,V300A had a contrast of 1600:1 even though samsung S plant advertized it has having 1200:1, how was sony V,S series able to achive the contrast advantage compared to samsung and sony U series ,the answer by using the proprietary backlight.
and finaly u can for sure see the difference b/w sony 32inch T and sony 32inch S in showrooms urself.:)

Then its not really VFM or best bang for the buck you are looking for. My brother has the V series 32" from Sony and my Panasonic PV8 absolutely crushes it in terms of PQ. Also, the 32" LCD Sony costs as much as the 42" Plasma Panasonic TV.

If its Sony then only the X series or the newly launched Z series make sense. Otherwise don't even bother with Sony. You will only end up paying a lot more for no features and no great PQ either. There is/was one model in W series 32" that was available for 33K from Singapore that we got that can be termed VFM, but otherwise none in the S, V and W series from Sony. Really bottom of the barrel kind of stuff in the lower segment from Sony.

well i dont know how u find the panasonic pv8 better ,if its in SD content i would agree,but the panasonic does have a lesser ANSI contrast compared to sony lcds be it S,V.the most obvious advantage for the panny plasma is the price.
well sony lcds are consistenly are better then the competition and there are plenty of proof in magazines and review sites,which i have already posted many many times in previous threads,to show the superiority of the sony.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back