Sony PS 11 direct drive pitch/speed problem

csricharan

Hello folks ... I checked out a Sony PS11 direct drive TT today. Its speed/pitch was totally off when it was switched from 33 to 45 RPM and sort of became ok when the pitch was adjusted. When I switched back to 33, there was an issue once again. It's just not playing well when switching back and forth between 45 and 33 and is varying heavily. The question is whether this is a minor problem and can be sorted out easily or not. And whether I should invest in it or not. Any good advice would be very welcome

Sent from my PLK-UL00 using Tapatalk

Hello folks ... I checked out a Sony PS11 direct drive TT today. Its speed/pitch was totally off when it was switched from 33 to 45 RPM and sort of became ok when the pitch was adjusted. When I switched back to 33, there was an issue once again. It's just not playing well when switching back and forth between 45 and 33 and is varying heavily. The question is whether this is a minor problem and can be sorted out easily or not. And whether I should invest in it or not. Any good advice would be very welcome

My 2 cents: Unless you're handy with DIY/repairs or have access to a good turntable technician and spare parts(both rare these days) do not burn your hands. When buying secondhand, its best that all features function perfectly, unless you are getting the product at a throw away price and are willing to take it up as a project.

My 2 cents: Unless you're handy with DIY/repairs or have access to a good turntable technician and spare parts(both rare these days) do not burn your hands. When buying secondhand, its best that all features function perfectly, unless you are getting the product at a throw away price and are willing to take it up as a project.
That sounds like good advice. And considering that I cannot tick most of those boxes, I will give this TT a pass.

Speed problems can be the result of a simple clogged switch or pot or can be due to something more complex like electronics failure. My advise would be to let it pass if you are not very skilled with DIY electronics. Again, knowing how to solder is not enough. One must have experience with TT repair to deal with these sorts of issues.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back