SOS - Should i take the plunge and wire up the sytem

srramanujam

Atlast, after nearly two years, i have all the components under one roof.

1. Usher Mini Dancer
2. Khartago monoblocks
3. Shindo pre
4. Samsung DVD
5. 3 ICs
6. Speaker wire from street corner (70 X 36) at Rs 22/mtr.

A little nervous about connecting them all up. One conern in mind

I only have a extension Surge Protector (i hope) which cost me about 600 Rs. Both green and red lights are on in the protector which means (as per the instructions) Earth No Connection.

The amps are 150W each block. Preamp and DVD player should be light loads i guess.

I have to connect all these to a regular 5 amp wall socket. Will this take the load of the entire system. Does both lights on mean something wrong with the surge protector.

I can call the electrician to do a check but i have to wait till Monday for that.

Help please

1. Usher Mini Dancer
2. Khartago monoblocks
3. Shindo pre
4. Samsung DVD
5. 3 ICs

I only have a extension Surge Protector (i hope) which cost me about 600 Rs. Both green and red lights are on in the protector which means (as per the instructions) Earth No Connection.

The amps are 150W each block. Preamp and DVD player should be light loads i guess.

I have to connect all these to a regular 5 amp wall socket. Will this take the load of the entire system. Does both lights on mean something wrong with the surge protector.

I can call the electrician to do a check but i have to wait till Monday for that.

Help please

hehehhehe!!!:)

russian roulette!

hold the gun to your head - and pull the trigger - have no fear - either way you will land near your creator!

regds suri

whoops! - the adrenaline rush - the bungee jump - yes! - you want/need to do it!

you will feel the better for it -

APART FROM ALL THAT -

the 5 amp outlet is more than enough - you do not have an arc welding machine - make sure that the male pins fit securely in the socket -

a surge protector (with a blow-fuse) will suffice to protect your equipment from frydom!

Last edited:
5 amp or 15 amp wall sockets does not mean much in India, unless you know the internal wiring used as well as the condition of the mains - fuses, trips, and wiring from the main EB supply.

These are expensive equipment, and I would advise caution - wait for a electrician to give you proper advise.

Cheers

hi srramanujam -

it is 0120 hours IST now -

so-

what happened? -

was discretion the better part of valour?

or did you fire the system up?

regds suri

1. Usher Mini Dancer
2. Khartago monoblocks
3. Shindo pre
4. Samsung DVD
5. 3 ICs

Help please

1. Usher Mini Dancer :yahoo:
2. Khartago monoblocks :yahoo:
3. Shindo pre :yahoo:
4. Samsung DVD :mad:
5. 3 ICs :rolleyes:
6. Speaker wire from street corner (70 X 36) at Rs 22/mtr. :mad:

1. Havent tried yet. I think i will call an electrician. To ensure i get safe advice, i will ask him to check if the wiring and wall socket can take an arc welding machine.

2. Today will anyway be busy since the Kid has a birthday party and has invited some 25 young menaces to a pizaa joint. A little bit of running around to get some gifts etc. How fortunate to feel bliss with balloons and Pizza.

3. For all the :mad: - Seriously getting confused on CDP or Hard Disk based players with external DAC. Same for cables - I will stick to the street corner cables till i get clarity on cables with value

Hi Ram

U must be one of the most patient men I know!! I plug in a new component as I get it, even if its 2 AM!

How many wall outlets do u have? These power strips are useless and power amps go directly into the wall outlets if possible. Venkat is right when he says a 15 /5 A socket does not matter if the wire inside is 1.5 sq.mm which it sometimes is. All it ensures is that the socket does not burn /melt if there is a constant draw of high amperage. Amps can pull current if u really drive them ( the consumption figure in the catalogue is at max power and u will never reach there !!!) so stick to a moderate volume and all will be OK.

If u run out of sockets then plug the dvd and Preamp thru the strip. Basically 3 electrical sockets will see u thru.

If getting some electrical work done then replace wire that feeds the rig with a polycab/ finolex 4 sq.mm all the way to the ELCB and put quality (northwest etc ) 15 A sockets/switches and u are done. I dont know how far the ELCB is from the RIG but even so THIS UPGRADE will cost less than any audiophile power cord with assured benefits.

Rgds

Hi Ram

If getting some electrical work done then replace wire that feeds the rig with a polycab/ finolex 4 sq.mm all the way to the ELCB and put quality (northwest etc ) 15 A sockets/switches and u are done. I dont know how far the ELCB is from the RIG but even so THIS UPGRADE will cost less than any audiophile power cord with assured benefits.

Rgds

Ram,

Dinyaar's advice is absolutely correct. I have shifted my system from another room to my drawing room. I am thinking for a separate line from my MCB using 4 sq.mm. Copper wire from Havell's/Finolex. Luckily, my MCB is near my main door and I have shifted my system in the drawing room, which is the first room after main entrance, so length of the line will be within 10-12 M.

If you have any doubt about the feed wire gauge to your wall socket, you may open the top plate of the wall socket and see the thickness of the feeding wire.

1. Havent tried yet. I think i will call an electrician. To ensure i get safe advice, i will ask him to check if the wiring and wall socket can take an arc welding machine.

yes, srramanujam - you must be on the safe side!

regds

Last edited by a moderator:
@Suri: Is there any reason for you to be hiking this thread from its original intension? I mean humor is something but talking about killing someone etc it getting to much Suri.

Can I ask you to little more serious and avoid such posts?

@Suri: Is there any reason for you to be hiking this thread from its original intension? I mean humor is something but talking about killing someone etc it getting to much Suri.

Can I ask you to little more serious and avoid such posts?

will do, madbullram,
regds suri

The best job in the world is to give advice as it someone else's wedding or funeral.

Connecting all those equipment to a 5A socket is like attempting to commit suicide, you may hang or fall down and break some part of your body. I am sure you have heavy duty equipment like fridge, washing machine, heater, A/C etc running on 15A circuits at your home and better connect your system to that circuit unless your entire household wiring is done with 1.5 sq mm which not many sane people do.

It is relatively easy to destroy things that create them, I believe.

Good luck.
murali

1. Usher Mini Dancer
2. Khartago monoblocks
3. Shindo pre
4. Samsung DVD
5. 3 ICs

Help please

could you let me know where u got #1 #2 #3 from btw ? and the costs involved ?

1. Usher Mini Dancer
2. Khartago monoblocks
3. Shindo pre
4. Samsung DVD
5. 3 ICs

Help please

every minute - every hour - i beg and pray to god - that srramanujam crosses the "padi" and (auspiciously) connects them all up - and tells ME
about the sublime experience.

has the electrician come? has he done his work? why this delay?
why?

regds suri

ps - i cannot sleep well at night - please post post-haste.

regds suri

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back