soul curry..

how does it sound ?

for one - a surprising amount of mid bass / lower bass - this could be because the speakers are about 15 inches from the rear wall and my listening distance is about 7 to 8 ft.

Maybe some re-inforcement from the back wall ?

these are small speakers and quite in-expensive and i doubt they are meant for a proper stereo duty. They would be in theor elements in a small office or a hotel playing background music !

I think these JBL Control 1's are lucky to be fed with such quality power :lol:
whilst their batch mates do duty on a desktop or bolted to an obscure wall in a restaurant :)

These dont do complex music well and i have a feeling i am stressing out the drivers with 50W of naim amplification.

OTOH.. this clean power allows it to show its true potential which is actually surprising given their diminutive size and price.

They do guitars and string instruments very well indeed.

Vocals are acceptable - especially when you are used to much better from an earlier system.

Planning to have a decent but inexpensive speaker cable in 2 days time - i bought a 2 mtr pair of Klotz speaker cable 11 gauge which was on sale on this forum not too long ago.

The interconnect running from the USB Dac to the Naim will be changed as well to an inexpensive AQ cable - on a loaner.

Leonard Cohen is playing as i write this and i would love to see the changes ( if any ) that the speaker cable makes in the near future.

I dont want to use the NACA5 as they are quite stiff and the speakers are quite light weight and i think the tail will wag the dog otherwise !

I plan to do some experiments like finding out first reflection points... to see where they show up and if any inexpensive treatment could be done.

This is a vehicle with a loud L sign..... driver learning ;)

regards
mpw

Last edited by a moderator:
Jls

tried out the hysolid..

thank you..

its a new experience for me to control the music with the android.

regards

changed the speaker cable to a klotz 11 gauge with OFC banana terminations..and i can tell you it makes a difference..

I did not know about the klotz brand earlier and my selection criteria was only to get a simple speaker cable - a decent one for the job..

I am happy my ears can discern this and i will post in detail after some time.. let it run for a few hours..

there is certainly more resolution and more ease with with music is delivered..

L Subramanian - Conversations - sounds so much fuller now - on foobar..

regards

Slightly offtopic. After frustrations in terms of extracting good audio out of Laptop. Loaded today [http://daphile/] to my laptop and synchronized entire music collection.

The fact it automatically works for most of the DACs and no worry about forcing things onto ALSA. All the problem I mentioned about weight and stuff is gone and now it sounds as good as my CD player with my music collection.

Now I found a good use of my sony vaio laptop with battery playback and purely for Music.

Time to get rid of CD Players from my system.....

As a bonus you are able to install all sort of apps and radio from Squeezebox portal....

On audiogon there is a pair of Merlin TSM - MMM - the latest version - if you are still tempted..

;)

regards

Tempting prices on Audiogon. Importing would be a challenge.

Agree to your experience in providing quality power to decent entry level BS. They do come alive albeit with limitations.
Haven't decided on anything yet but the to be released new Elac Uni-Fi ub5 from Andrew Jones seems interesting.

Regards

Switched to modest BS - Usher S520 after a stint with Rethms. These were on loan from a FM and now have decided to retain them (no more speaker hunting).
They took a while to open up after having been in the box close to 2 years (or so).

The simplicity of these boxes amaze me when they sing. Damn good.
For sure they respond to quality source and amplification.

Sources continue to be my AP CD transport and the trusty VFM AP DAC and a failry new pair of mono blocks - Trigon TRE 50M. Another superb gear. Quality stuff.

The Ushers sing loud and with great composure even at 1 o clock with good control over bass. I have seen it reach insanity with a comparatively lesser amp. Not so with Trigons.

Also, did try the Hysolid. Liked it. Simple, hassle free and sounds good.

Happy Listening

AVM,

congratulations !!

I think i know the Ushers you are referring to and i am happy they have found a new home. The seller is a gentleman as well.

I was looking at it but i did not have the funds at that time or maybe i was weighing up the option of re-installing the Merlins on stands and then just for a change went in for a used pair of JBL Control Ones.

Probably.... the best fed pair in the world !! :lol:

The Meridian USB Explorer dac is nice too. A bit rolled off at the top end but i like it that way. It makes a wide genre of music listenable.

More complicated music is where either the JBL's or the Explorer dac need to step it up. But at these price levels - thats not a compliant at all.

Yes - the Hysolid is quite cool too.. thanks to jls for that info.

regards

+1 One of the strong points of computer audio.
Explosive convenience with access to a much larger music selection.

Nikhil

Yes...convenience....vast selection of music but why am i back to the cdp ??

There is something about a CD player that draws me into the music...
And i like to not trouble my mind and fingers with playlists
& stuff..

I do not plan to spend more money on DAC's ...so i guess
I know what floats my boat...

Its just me i know...

:)

Regards

I stumbled onto this thread just today. I'd been off HFV (and audiophilia) for quite a while.

I got into cycling rather seriously, and that necessitated many lifestyle changes (including sleeping at 9.30PM and waking up at 4.30AM), and budget allocation changes (three cycles and upgrades on those so far, zero money for anything else). The cycling and my gym time meant that I had nearly zero time for movies or for enjoying music the way I used to. My music listening was limited to a few minutes before sleeping, with my phone and a JBL Charge 2 bluetooth speaker. And believe me, I still enjoyed the music as much.

But the pull to the dark side has brought me here again, albeit for the sake of a more convenient way of listening to music, and that's how I saw this thread.

I'm happy to see how we all ultimately keep enjoying music regardless of the limitations other things put on us! Good to see that you've started enjoying computer audio. Those JBL Control Ones are quite likely the best powered ones in the World, all right!

3 cheers, and enjoy the music! :)

I stumbled onto this thread just today. I'd been off HFV (and audiophilia) for quite a while.

I got into cycling rather seriously, and that necessitated many lifestyle changes (including sleeping at 9.30PM and waking up at 4.30AM), and budget allocation changes (three cycles and upgrades on those so far, zero money for anything else). The cycling and my gym time meant that I had nearly zero time for movies or for enjoying music the way I used to. My music listening was limited to a few minutes before sleeping, with my phone and a JBL Charge 2 bluetooth speaker. And believe me, I still enjoyed the music as much.

But the pull to the dark side has brought me here again, albeit for the sake of a more convenient way of listening to music, and that's how I saw this thread.

I'm happy to see how we all ultimately keep enjoying music regardless of the limitations other things put on us! Good to see that you've started enjoying computer audio. Those JBL Control Ones are quite likely the best powered ones in the World, all right!

3 cheers, and enjoy the music! :)

hydra

am happy to see you here and on this thread.

Cycling as a hobby and as a way to build stamina is time very well spent - congratulations !!

I have been thru what you said about cycling and i remember being lost inside SGNP for a few hours ( circa 1995 approx ) with just 1 of my college friend with similar passion for cycling. We had been out cycling from 430 AM and it was 1130 AM that day and we did not know where we were.

No GPS those days :cool: ... luckily we spotted a thatched house and then made our way back to civilization..

Cycling and biking ( on my RE Bullet ) - i do have a few road miles to speak of :)

look forward to someday meeting and sharing notes..

regards

Cycling as a hobby and as a way to build stamina is time very well spent -...

look forward to someday meeting and sharing notes..

Aimless cycling is the greatest indeed! I've found cycling to be the best way if appreciating the places around me. I'm quite surprised at the number of really beautiful places that are so close to where I stay, now that I've been taking the effort to actually get around and see them!

Yes, I would love to meet and swap stories! :)

Great to see you on here Hydra! Always nice to see your posts.
Very nice to see that you are pursuing some interests outside audio.

replaced the 17 inch Toshiba laptop with the Eee Asus 10 inch Intel Atom laptop.

removed all un-necessary software incl MS Office / Adobe etc..

wanted the processor to be free of all software which demands its attention save for the music.

just the bare necessities..

:))

any more tips here ?? to make the small laptop perform to its best...

lets see how this goes..

regards
mpw

any more tips here ?? to make the small laptop perform to its best...
Yeah, leave it with me for 2 days to tweak. You will not believe what it sounds like when I'm through with it. :lol:

What OS? Win10? If yes, there are infinite opportunities to tweak it.

Do you intend to connect this to a network including the internet?
Is this going to be a dedicated music player?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back