soul curry..

Yeah, leave it with me for 2 days to tweak. You will not believe what it sounds like when I'm through with it. :lol:

What OS? Win10? If yes, there are infinite opportunities to tweak it.

Do you intend to connect this to a network including the internet?
Is this going to be a dedicated music player?

The OS is a Win XP

Dac is Asus Xonar U7

The software used is Foobar

This Intel Atom laptop is intended only to play music stored on internal HDD. The capacity of internal HDD is not much but i plan to use an external HDD to transfer music to the laptop as necessary.

regards

the Win 7 does sound better than Win XP...

just does things a little more easily..

Listening to Nina Simone - Sinnerman - and her voice comes out nicely though i have a very limited rig that is playing right now.

any more tips and tricks... that dont cost money ... welcome.. :)

regards

some late night listening happening..

not too sleepy today..Geroge Harrison - Let it Roll playing..

The team is :-

A small hall - listening distance about 8 ft ( wall-wall = 10 ft )
Philips CD750
Naim Nait 5i-2
Asus Intel Atom Laptop
Asus Xonar U7 DAC
VDH interconnects
Klotz speaker cable
JBL Control 1's

regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Neat setup.
I would suggest try Hysolid. I find it to sound smoother and clearer than Foobar. It has limitations as to file type.

See the speakers are firing straight. Have tried positioning them towards the listening spot?
BTW, the Ushers fire straight likewise and I am quite happy with it.

I have done an apple to apple comparison of the JBL control 1 with my micro-TL and can very confidently say that these dont even come close to my micro-TL speakers sound stage. The source for the JBL control 1 was a PC based sound card output connected. For the micro-TL it was a HT amp and the same source from the PC.

IMO I find them very compressed and very recessed mids and screechy highs. But again how you perceive good sound is very personal and highly subjective.

Neat setup.
I would suggest try Hysolid. I find it to sound smoother and clearer than Foobar. It has limitations as to file type.

See the speakers are firing straight. Have tried positioning them towards the listening spot?
BTW, the Ushers fire straight likewise and I am quite happy with it.

I tried Hysolid - its nice but i now prefer Foobar since i have this habit of listening to full albums.

The speakers were toed in - as per normal thinking but we found the sound to be much nicer in my room when the speakers fire straight.

AVM - put up a pic of your rig...

I know - most of you would be thinking - what kinda sound would these JBL Control 1's give - but i am thinking ( especially in late night sessions when there is very less ambient noise ) many people miss what the speakers put out in the regular "day time " listening sessions. This does not apply those with dedicated music rooms.

I am quite happy with this small setup in my small room.

Will i try some other speaker ?? yes - / maybe but not too expensive ones..

I can experiment for a few months more till the renovation work is complete in my original home.

regards

I have done an apple to apple comparison of the JBL control 1 with my micro-TL and can very confidently say that these dont even come close to my micro-TL speakers sound stage. The source for the JBL control 1 was a PC based sound card output connected. For the micro-TL it was a HT amp and the same source from the PC.

IMO I find them very compressed and very recessed mids and screechy highs. But again how you perceive good sound is very personal and highly subjective.

Is nobody else tired of this guy's incessant advertising?

hari

whilst i dont want to get one on one - i will appreciate if you can contribute positively to this thread please without going into TL speakers.

While i appreciate your drive and DiY spirit - do not let it overcome everything else and change the focus of this thread.

many thanks
mpw

Last edited by a moderator:
hari

whilst i dont want to get one on one - i will appreciate if you can contribute positively to this thread please without going into TL speakers.

While i appreciate your drive and DiY spirit - do not let it overcome everything else and change the focus of this thread.

many thanks
mpw
Just wanted to mention that there are many other options that are more economical and better sounding than the JBL Control 1 which you are missing. Anyway i will not post any further on this thread as wished by you.

Thanks,

A few pics. Need another rack
The chain -
Acoustic Portrait CD Transport
Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga DAC (To be replaced soon....)
Classe CP-35 (Hunt on for a fully balanced tube based or passive pre. Suggestions welcome)
Trigon MRE 50 Monoblocks (simply superb........)
Usher - S520 (Ports plugged)
Power Cables - ASI Reference Livelines for Source, Lapp Kabel for Classe & Trigon's own PCs for monos
ICs - ASI livelines Reference SE & regular SE
Speaker Cables - Townshend Isolda DCT

Last edited:
AVM

looks very nice..

i remember the earlier photos with the rethm saadhanas and this looks so neat..

btw... why does the speaker cable take a pradakshina of the speaker stand feet ? or am i mistaken ?

whats the listening distance like now ?

njoi !!

regards
mpw

Thanks Prem and mpw. It can still do better.

The left speaker cable is 3 m and the right is 2 m. Since they are close to the amps I took them round in circles to reduce the mess on the floor.

The listening distance is 9 feet. At about the triangular point between the speakers, there is more focus but the room setup does not allow for a permanent seat. Also, I usually sit down for very few select tracks.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back