Sound Pressure Level (SPL)

churfsan

Hello all,

Many forums and other articles suggest the use of a sound meter or SPL to accurately measure the sound at different places in the room and adjust the AVR equipment for the room acoustics.

Anyone aware whether such sound level meters are available in India (Hyderabad / Bangalore in particular) and how much it will cost? Supposed to be fairly inexpensive.

Any help will be much appreciated

Thanks
Churfsan

If you have a automatic calibration system as part of your AVR, then that will do a pretty good job of adjusting your levels etc.

East West Eng. Ltd in Mumbai (022-5580527) carries them.

When I was in the US, I used a Radio Shack SPL meter. all meters are not 100% precise and they usually have a adjustment value that you need to take into account. For the Radio shack one, there is a chart that talks to this adjustment based on the brand. I have to dig into my old PC to see where it is.

I prefered digital meters since they were easy to work with. Analogue ones are also good though slightly more precise but a bit harder to use.

Thanks marsilians,

Any place in Bangalore / Hyderabad / Chennai who may deal in this?

If you have a automatic calibration system as part of your AVR, then that will do a pretty good job of adjusting your levels etc.

East West Eng. Ltd in Mumbai (022-5580527) carries them.

When I was in the US, I used a Radio Shack SPL meter. all meters are not 100% precise and they usually have a adjustment value that you need to take into account. For the Radio shack one, there is a chart that talks to this adjustment based on the brand. I have to dig into my old PC to see where it is.

I prefered digital meters since they were easy to work with. Analogue ones are also good though slightly more precise but a bit harder to use.

I remember the time when I bought my first Surround sound setup way back in 2003 which was a Denon 1403 a descent starter 5.1 amp and along with it the Wharfedale Valdus towers, Diamond 8 center, WH2 surround and Sw150 Sub, I was ignorant of the fundamentals of home theatre at that time and a forum like this was greatly missed. With the time and experience I learnt a lot of thinks about sound, offcouse lot of trials and errors but then that is the way to learn things in life. Same thing happened when I upgraded my entire setup but this time I was well informed about the settings and sound terminoligies, thanks to Internet which really helps a person to find dearth of information required at the touch of a button. But I still missed the things like a Tripod stand for calibration Mic placement, Sound pressure meter for proper clabiration and last but most important ,support and advices of such goods people with their vast knowledge in this field through their own personal experiences. Then I decided that I would help people in all the manner I could so that they don't have to buy everything just for their setup.

I remember the time when I bought my first Surround sound setup way back in 2003 which was a Denon 1403 a descent starter 5.1 amp and along with it the Wharfedale Valdus towers, Diamond 8 center, WH2 surround and Sw150 Sub, I was ignorant of the fundamentals of home theatre at that time and a forum like this was greatly missed. With the time and experience I learnt a lot of thinks about sound, offcouse lot of trials and errors but then that is the way to learn things in life. Same thing happened when I upgraded my entire setup but this time I was well informed about the settings and sound terminoligies, thanks to Internet which really helps a person to find dearth of information required at the touch of a button. But I still missed the things like a Tripod stand for calibration Mic placement, Sound pressure meter for proper clabiration and last but most important ,support and advices of such goods people with their vast knowledge in this field through their own personal experiences. Then I decided that I would help people in all the manner I could so that they don't have to buy everything just for their setup.

hi Ashish,

its great to know people like you are also a part of this forum. I have noticed you are living in delhi? could I ask which part? and also can I ask a favour of lending your SPL meter for my set up calibration? In return you are most welcome to come to my home for a pint of beer and ofcourse will be great to sit down and have a chat.

look forward to hear from you.

Kind regards,

Swatantra

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back