Sound Quality (STEREO)

Thanks Dear. Seems I need to save up to buy new source equipment.

I spent 6K INR to get DLNA goodness (my music was on my comp, WDTV pulled the music from that dabba wirelessly through my router) and send music to an amp. (a lot has changed since then)

(that 6K because a) I had no patience or DIY skills with a Pi type solution b) I could not figure out how to get son's PS3 to play flac c) I got a remote).

If I had to blow 0.25 lakh kind of money I'd spend on a DAC, esp. if I wanted to be disc mukt. Or maybe a DAC and some/ any room treatment. To get your music to your amp, not required, a much smaller spend will do.

ciao
gr

edit: ping me if you are ever looking for one.

Last edited:
I dont know why everyone (atleast 80%) think the moment Raspberry Pi comes in to the picture that its some rocket science DIY and just run away form it as soon as they can?

The solution I recommended few pages back, you just need to purchase Rpi, an SDHC card, burn the card with OS using any SD disk write app, insert the card in Rpi, connect the DAC, connect the HDD and speakers, boot pi and you are good to go ...... how difficult is that??

I spent 6K INR to get DLNA goodness (my music was on my comp, WDTV pulled the music from that dabba wirelessly through my router) and send music to an amp. (a lot has changed since then)

(that 6K because a) I had no patience or DIY skills with a Pi type solution b) I could not figure out how to get son's PS3 to play flac c) I got a remote).

If I had to blow 0.25 lakh kind of money I'd spend on a DAC, esp. if I wanted to be disc mukt. Or maybe a DAC and some/ any room treatment. To get your music to your amp, not required, a much smaller spend will do.

ciao
gr

Hi thanks for your reply. I have got the setup mentioned above. ie DLNA with the Media player pulling songd from the Computer. It is only that the sound quality of the Media Player is not as good as the DVD player. So the inference is that DAC of the Media Player is not as good as that as that bof the DVD player.
Thanks for your reply .
I dont know why everyone (atleast 80%) think the moment Raspberry Pi comes in to the picture that its some rocket science DIY and just run away form it as soon as they can?

The solution I recommended few pages back, you just need to purchase Rpi, an SDHC card, burn the card with OS using any SD disk write app, insert the card in Rpi, connect the DAC, connect the HDD and speakers, boot pi and you are good to go ...... how difficult is that??

Sam I get you, setting up Pi would be a breeze for me but as I said I am running a financial crunch and was not keen on investing or rather have no money to invest in new toys.

Thanks.

I am running a financial crunch and was not keen on investing or rather have no money to invest in new toys.
Thanks.

Well then thats a different scenario, but given the result/outcome I'd say 8-9K is no big deal for this setup ......

If you ask me shortest and cheapest way to get a decent close to audiophile song quality is ...

Raspberry Pi on MoOde or Volumio=>FiiO USB DAC=>Speakers ..... assuming you have decent set of speakers, you can connect an ext HDD to Raspberry Pi USB port which will be read by MoOde or Volumio. Cost ... 3000 for Rpi, 4000 For USB DAC, MoOde or Volumio FREE, speakers and ext HDD you already have presumably, everything can be remotely controlled by Android/iOS phone/tab.......... and Oh yes make sure you play FLACs and not MP3sss .. :)
Done, Tested it, Plays OK BUT getting Composite Video is NOT POSSIBLE.... I am using OSMC and Raspberry Pi2.

And how to get composite Video out from OSMC. Dont tell me about the cable I have done the necessary research if at all tell me about the settings.
:eek:

ciao
gr

You did well...

Well then thats a different scenario, but given the result/outcome I'd say 8-9K is no big deal for this setup ......

Purchased the Pi2 now the costs keep adding up... My present 7" Display with Composite in cant be used. Now either get a new Display or get a HDMI to AV converter. sheeshh......

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back