Sound Setup help Needed

suhailkapoor

Hi All,

I just stumbelled upon this wonderfull community while searching for HI-FI audio stuff and the vast knowledge in here is just amazinig. I thank one and all for sharing so much informative stuff.

ok, so here is my story, i have begun my quest for a HT setup and have now reached the stage where i have finances ready for Audio Setup.

Just to give an overview...of my setup so far...

Room Size: 12 Feet [width] and 16 Feet [long]...main sitting source at 8 feet from screen.
Screen : 47" 1080p Samsung Series 5 Model A550
HD Sources : HTPC (780g) for those not familiar its HDMI out both sound and videos @ using original blu-ray and hd-dvd discs which are mostly shipped in from US/UK at present.Additionaly i have a PS3 lying around which i use for my gaming needs over weekend and kids in house play all day around on.

Now, i have heard the wharfedale sets on people recommendation and liked them a lot, have not heard anything else yet.

I have a starting budget of 50k and would want a receiver (somthing which is 5.1 capable ) + towers if a centre can be acoomodated in that budget, it would be great.

Please suggest a receive which is future proof as i would be adding the Sub and rears with the setup after 6 months

So please suggest your choices and thanks for anybody who finds time to read through this.

Note : I am not an audiophile like most people in here, but would love good quality sound at a decent price.

Thanks and regards
Suhail Kapoor

Suhail:

You have a decent sized room as well as a large screen. You should look for an AVR with power between 100-150 watts per channel, and having up-scaling positively up to 1080p. This, connected to floor standers for the front, will set up a good atmosphere for watching movies and listening. to music.

Unfortunately your budegt seems a little low. An AVR of the size I am talking about will cost around 50,000 and floor standers such as Wharfedale's 9.5 will cost around 27,000. Can you afford or stretch your budget a little? In my mind, given the size of the room and the equipment you already have, the minimum specs I have mentioned for an AVR are essential.

Some of the possible AVRs are mentioned below:

1. Yamaha RX-V863 - 105 Watts per channel.
2. Yamaha RX-V663 - 95 watts per channel
3. Denon 2308 - 100 watts per channel
4. Marantz - SR6001 - 100 watts per channel.
5. Onkyo - TX-SR606 - 175 watts into 6 ohms.

All these AVRs would be available for around 50,000. All do up-scaling to 1080p. The Denon and Marantz are supposed to sound warm, while Yamaha may be a bit forward sounding. But, Yamaha is ideal for movies as they have a huge number of DSPs for movie sound. The Onkyo is a model that has been improved over last year's award winner, the TX-SR605. In 2007 Onkyo completely revamped their designs to grab nearly 40% of the world market for AVRs.

Any of these model will work for 4 or 5 years for you before you decide you want a newer model. The specs of these models are as follows.

Yamaha Music Australia - Audio Visual - Stereo Systems
Yamaha Music Australia - Audio Visual - Stereo Systems
http://denonsingapore.com/documentation\AVR2308_E2.pdf
Marantz America | SR6001 XM Ready Surround Sound Receiver
A/V Recivers : TX-SR606 | ONKYO Asia and Oceania Website

The Onkyo has the best specifications and the maximum power. I have read some contradictory impressions on their sound. I would strongly recommend you audition the Onkyo positively to decide whether you like it's sound or not.

Let me know what your ideas are and we can start narrowing the items.

Cheers

I've nothing more to add, as venkat put together the stuff nicely. You could pickup more powerful outgoing Onkyo models (805) near the cost of 606

But you may reposition your PS3 as your main source of playback. 780g based HTPC are not capable of delivering 5.1/7.1 LPCM audio over HDMI.

Additionaly i have a PS3 lying around which i use for my gaming needs over weekend and kids in house play all day around on.

Suhail:

Can you list the detailed specs of your HTPC. In particular the details of your sound card. From your posting, it is clear it has HDMI, Blu Ray, and HD DVD support. But. can it handle multichannel surround sound?

Cheers

Venkat, he has onboard sound card. It handles 2 channel audio via HDMI, multichannel audio via analog connection & Optical out. These onboard audio/graphics capable boards, push all the processing to CPU.

I'm using similar HTPC at the moment, but going to upgrade soon with this

Suhail:

Can you list the detailed specs of your HTPC. In particular the details of your sound card. From your posting, it is clear it has HDMI, Blu Ray, and HD DVD support. But. can it handle multichannel surround sound?

Cheers

I use an assembled PC with an on board sound card and a creative x-fi pci card. The Optical Out from the on board sound card is hooked up to my receiver. Since the optical out pretty much dumps the datastream to the receiver as is, it doesn't need to do any processing at all, so IMO C.P.U usage is not an issue when using optical out from an HTPC and streaming out digital dolby or DTS.

I use the x-fi to send out bit perfect two 44.1 Khz sound to my external DAC.

Thanks Suniil and Surealistix.

I have been out of touch with computer hardware and its accessories for a long time. I may be going comp[completely out of context here, bit I thought with a good video card, Suhail may be able to set up a really good HT System.

There are some wonderful cards available that incorporate either ATI or Nvidia GPUs and output uncompressed Blu-ray audio in all its glory. and support Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, and feed 7.1-channel, 24-bit/192kHz LPCM audio through its HDMI port.

An HTPC with a DVD Player, a sound card with these capabilities, connected to a simple AV Receiver that excels in sound would go a long way in fulfilling any videophile's needs. I also believe these cards are now capable of 1080p at 24fps, the native frames rate of movies.

I am not sure about the DAC capabilities of these sound cards, but I suppose a good AVR will handle that.

Cheers

Thanks guys...your responses have come fast and are wonderfully informative.

Apologies for delay in my response .. have been travelling over the weekend and didnt find time to get a 3g chip sorted here in London.

Venkats suggestions seem spot on and i think i am now drifting towards the onkoyo amp.

The HTPC that i am using is powerfull enough in graphics as it off-loads tasks to gpu whichi is ati 3200 chipset, watching a hd-movie consumes only abou 5-12% of cpu at max.

Of the LPCM over HDMI thing, havent checked that yet since didnt have a multi channel setup, but i remm getting a new driver update which i think has enabled the lpcm thing, mi might be wrong though. Can only check it after a couple of weeks, if it doesnt work, i might be going in for Asus Zonar soundcard which is best at present.

Will be looking at recommended sound systems here at totenham court road, london and will see what prices i can get here. Can somebody please pass me the retail price of Onkyo - TX-SR606.

Cheers
Suhail Kapoor

Thanks guys...your responses have come fast and are wonderfully informative.

Will be looking at recommended sound systems here at totenham court road, london and will see what prices i can get here. Can somebody please pass me the retail price of Onkyo - TX-SR606.

Suhail Kapoor

Well I have seen prices being quoted between 399 and 500 dollars. I suppose once you have auditioned, you have to do some hard bargaining.

Let us know when you have set up the system.

Cheers

Would you like to pop-in to my home? I'm not very far (20 min drive) from TOTENHAM COURT ROAD.

You are better with Richersounds / av-sales for SR606 for £399 or lower. I could get a lower price than what the price offered in shops / e-tailers. Richersounds has shop in New-oxford street.

What would be your choice if you have a choice of getting SR805 for £500 / SR875 for £599 & NR905 for £699 :D

What would be your choice if you have a choice of getting SR805 for £500 / SR875 for £599 & NR905 for £699 :D

[/QUOTE]

Man !!!!!! The 875 and 905 are dream machines. They have superb up scaling using Reon processors, have THX certification, and very very good sound. But both of them get hot enough to fry eggs on !!!! You should not have any hassles in London, I suppose.

Suniil, this is not fair. You are making me RGB with jealousy. :mad:

:p Venkat! during one phase of life (in my teens) I was just dreaming an AV setup

I don't need to use radiator for heating in living room ;), last upgrade to Onkyo forced me to change the cabinet to an open type

How do you manage the heating issue of your SR875?

Major issue I'm seeing is the depreciation factor of Onkyo, 5 months back it was £900 and now it costs just £599 (or less)

Man !!!!!! The 875 and 905 are dream machines. They have superb up scaling using Reon processors, have THX certification, and very very good sound. But both of them get hot enough to fry eggs on !!!! You should not have any hassles in London, I suppose.

Suniil, this is not fair. You are making me RGB with jealousy. :mad:

Suhail,

My PS3 80 GB plays DVDs of all regions after I udated the software (current version is 2.42). I suggest you try that.
It now plays 5.1 MP3s too.

Warm Regds / Shailender

Thanks Suniil for your offer to visit your place and audition. I might just do, ut can't be very sure as business trips are always business first.

And for the next two offers, if i would have had the money i would have never done it all myself, woud have hired some pro and get it done.

I am very restricted to a Stretched budget of budget of 65000rs (nearly 800£), and am looking for Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 FloorStanders to start the setup with.

Thats why Onkoyo Looked Delicious to me, also besides buying all these, i need to get my ears trained to listen all the stuff you awesom guys do.

I just hope my Santana Cd's dont disappoint me when i audition. :)

upto you mate to decide :eek:, but you really miss some demo on <20hz :D

Also a small tip, WhatHIFI always carrys a £10 voucher to spend in Richersounds. Also they pricematch with any web e-tailers, if that helps you anyway

Thanks Suniil for your offer to visit your place and audition.

:p Venkat! during one phase of life (in my teens) I was just dreaming an AV setup

I don't need to use radiator for heating in living room ;), last upgrade to Onkyo forced me to change the cabinet to an open type

How do you manage the heating issue of your SR875?

Major issue I'm seeing is the depreciation factor of Onkyo, 5 months back it was £900 and now it costs just £599 (or less)

Suniil:
I use a Air Conditioner that has 1/2 a ton more than what is needed for the room. It get so cold that I have to wear a sweater !!!!!

Suhail:

You should listen to Black Magic Woman first !!! That is a great song to debut a HiFi system with.

Cheers

guys. reviving this thread after a while... had a round trip around the world...went upto Auz but returned empty handed since got no time from work to enjoy my passions.

Ok, so m back in delhi ...the onkyo is still the game i wish to go for...

can anybody please recommend me dealers to audition in here, also any refferences would be helpfull.

I have no clues about refference price points of these devices in here ..so please once again

Wharfedale Diamond FloorStanders 9.5
Onkyo SR-606

Thanks
Suhail

Note : if you feel there are some better speaker/avr options available within that price segment feel free to suggest.

guys. reviving this thread after a while...
can anybody please recommend me dealers to audition in here, also any refferences would be helpfull.

I have no clues about refference price points of these devices in here ..so please once again

Wharfedale Diamond FloorStanders 9.5
Onkyo SR-606

Thanks
Suhail

Note : if you feel there are some better speaker/avr options available within that price segment feel free to suggest.

Please check with ONKYO INDIA. They have a showroom in Delhi. They may not be able to demo the Wharfedales for you.

For Wharfedales check with the following:

BASS 'n' TREBLE
F-6, First floor, Manish Link Road, Plaza-1,
Plot 9, Sector-5, Dwarka, New Delhi-110075.
Tel: 9999016124, (011) 45509308.

Cheers

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back