Sound system

lpoulson

Hi,

I live in Australia and have recently had a Samsung Plasma 50" Full Definition installed in my back room.

Before I arrange for other devices to be added to the system, I need to make sure I obtain a reliable and high quality surround sound system.

The only device which will be added shortly is a Samsung Blu-Ray Player model BD-PB2500, which was a free offer with the Plasma TV purchase.

I would like some advice from people with surround sound systems as to the make and models I should be considering.

My budget will be between $A2,000 and $2,500.

Thanks

Lance Poulson

Hi Lance

Welcome to the forum. Before I can make some suggestions, I need to know what your listening tastes are? Moves/Music split and what types of music you want to listen to?

2K-2.5K is pretty decent amount to set yourself up with a decent system driven by an AVR.

Hi,

I live in Australia and have recently had a Samsung Plasma 50" Full Definition installed in my back room.

Before I arrange for other devices to be added to the system, I need to make sure I obtain a reliable and high quality surround sound system.

The only device which will be added shortly is a Samsung Blu-Ray Player model BD-PB2500, which was a free offer with the Plasma TV purchase.

I would like some advice from people with surround sound systems as to the make and models I should be considering.

My budget will be between $A2,000 and $2,500.

Thanks

Lance Poulson

Thanks for reply.

I have a strong interest in watching movies on DVD. My music interests range from Pink Floyd to Leonard Cohen. I expect my son to play "heavy metal" and guitar pieces when he visits.

Hope this helps.

I have a strong interest in watching movies on DVD. My music interests range from Pink Floyd to Leonard Cohen. I expect my son to play "heavy metal" and guitar pieces when he visits.

Since your interest is more in movies, you should audition the mid range AVRs from Yamaha and Onkyo. And since your taste in music leans towards hard rock, look for bass heavy sp0eakers from companies such as JBL, Yamaha, Cerwin Wega etc.

You should look for AVRs with a power rating of somewhere between 150 to 200 watts per channel, and speakers to match those ratings.

Mixing professional system (for your son's playing) along with a more 'domestic' HT system is tricky. Professionals guitarists use powered monitors, and if it is heavy metal, it has to be REALLY powered. In addition you need amps that have very fast response and the capacity to handle sudden surges in power requirements. Professional amplifiers connected to large floorstanders from companies such as JBL or Yamaha may be the best bet. A standard AVR may be too stretched if you son gets excited and may blow a fuse very often. Professional amplifiers have been designed to take such spikes in power requirements and deliver something between 300 to 1000 watts continuously.

Cheers

It might make sense

It does indeed make sense and I may have to decide in my interests. To be fair I have been trying to reclaim the backroom for years and I should not be encouraging heavy metal playing.

Will be guided by your suggestions.

Thanks

Lance P

hi lance!
when you say that your son will be playing heavy metal etc., i think you mean that he will be playing cds of that genre of music, right? and not that he will be playing a guitar? if he is not playing the instrument himself, i dont think its required of you to go for professional powered monitors. as venkat suggested, i would also recommend floorstanding speakers from JBL. they are, i feel, the best to listen to rock. as for the receiver, probably a denon or yamaha would be fine.

Advice appreciated. His days of playing heavy metal in my backroom are finished. He would only be playing DVDs/CDs.

Hi lance,

Sorry for the delayed reply, I am playing catch up after being on the road for couple days. Since there is a generous mix of music & movies playing on the system, i would lean towards gettign a system that is more musical than just HT.

There are excellent AVRs as venkat has suggested including Yamaha, Pioneer, Rotel, Arcam, Denon, etc.

If your son plays are near reference levels (75 db or above), I suggest going with a power amplifier as well. In this case you can also look into a pre/pro and power amp combo. Rotel, Parasound, Outlaw are some brands that come to mind.

Finally, i would not go with top of the line AVR or pre-pro since their feature sets change so fast. I would buy a mid fi one (800-1100 range) and go for a good amp. This will serve you longer than great AVR + mid-fi amp combo.

Some models to look out for are:

Yamaha RX-V , HTR 6190 (same as RX-V1800) and above series
Rotel RSX-1054, 1067,
Marantz SR19, SR8500
Arcam AVR280
Outlaw 990
Outlaw 1070 AVR
Denon AVR 989
Pioneer VSX-9130TXH-K

For Amps
Parasound 5125
Rotel RMB1085
Outlaw 7075 amp (they are running a specials and the 990/7025 combo runs well within your budget).
Adcom GFA 5400

Parasound, Outlaw and Rotel support music very well. So even if you end up with a mid fi AVR and a good amp, it will sound better than the other way round.

Lance , there re some excellent Aussie speakers eg Krix..you should try out some of your local dealers for an HT set. from what i could make out from Melbourne and Brisbane, Hifi is typically much more expensive out there especially the American and British Brands.

maybe you have already tried, but i found StereoNET Australia to be a decent forum for OZ audiophiles !

Regarding AVRs you cannot really go wrong with any of the above suggestions.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back